• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Menard's and Costco

Status
Not open for further replies.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
We haven't been to Costco since the pandemic hit, or any place other than TJ's, Publix, the labor and delivery ward, the pediatrician, and very briefly Kroger that once.
Kroger owns most of the grocery stores here and are as terrible as you say. No cart cleaning. No one-way isles. No one wearing masks. Employees violating social distancing.

Costco lines outside have no requirement for distancing and no one monitoring. The one time I stood in line, I had to constantly shift positions because either people would pass right by me to go to the end of the line, or people behind or in front of me would get into our space. At best we had 4 foot of space around us. Look forward to their longer hours reducing crowds.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Kroger owns most of the grocery stores here and are as terrible as you say.

I have a Sam's Club, Walmart Grocery, Publix, Winn Dixie, Aldi, and Sprouts all about two miles away.

1588720848251.png

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Kroger's here require all employees to wear masks and have one set of doors marked In and the other Out so they can clean the carts and make sure people get the cleaned ones. They also have senior shopping hours but it's 7am to 8am and the pharmacy doesn't open till 9am so that's dumb. They also put up plexiglass in front of the cashier.

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Costco lines outside have no requirement for distancing and no one monitoring. The one time I stood in line, I had to constantly shift positions because either people would pass right by me to go to the end of the line, or people behind or in front of me would get into our space. At best we had 4 foot of space around us. Look forward to their longer hours reducing crowds.

There are cheap and easy solutions...

Social Distancing 01.jpg

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It’s 107 here. Shade is of minimum help for the first three people in line, and there is none for anyone else. This is a viciously stupid policy, and I’ll not go back there.

The national policy makes obvious sense, but as you describe it there is an application problem where you are. Was there an unexpected heat wave? They should at least have awnings for everyone in line and misters to cool people down. Our TJ’s is in a shopping center with good overhangs, so the whole line is under shade.

OP
A

Alice of Old Vincennes

Major Contributor
It’s 107 here. Shade is of minimum help for the first three people in line, and there is none for anyone else. This is a viciously stupid policy, and I’ll not go back there.

I have specialized in Chapter 7 and 13 bankruptcy for nearly 40 years. My income will increase considerably in the aftermath of the economic disruption. I see several desperate clients a week. They are depressed and angry. I wish my services were not needed as a result of the political decisions closing down small businesses.

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Giving us a worse alternative?

Nope. It's stupid, and shows that symbolism is more important than actual safety to them.

BTW, zero problems today at Lowe's and Fry's.

It's not symbolism. If the store cannot accommodate everyone at once during this pandemic, and it's too hot to wait outside, then the safe alternative is to come back another time. It sucks, but it's not their fault, and making false claims about "symbolism" doesn't change the facts.

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You are correct. I guess if they cannot make a nail or baby formula then surely China won't skimp on masks. This will all pass in about a month. Unless we need to shut down the economy this fall. We have deer and native plants in Southern Indiana. I need to brush up on hunter gatherer techniques on You Tube.

Your view of Chinese manufacturing is 5-15 years out of date.

This thread is surprisingly un-AudioScienceReview in its tone and its casual relationship with facts and evidence.

OP
A

Alice of Old Vincennes

Major Contributor
Your view of Chinese manufacturing is 5-15 years out of date.

This thread is surprisingly un-AudioScienceReview in its tone and its casual relationship with facts and evidence.
The nails were purchased in 2019. I guess I am out of date and much too casual. I can't find Chinese baby formula at Walmart.

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Good luck.
Pore size of those masks is like 20-50µm while "the corona virus" is supposed to be like 480nm in diameter.

The size of the virus particle is irrelevant.

The masks exclude droplets of various sizes which the virus survives. The virus will become inactivated fairly quickly if "naked" in the air.

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I guess you missed the media coverage on shoddy medical supplies from China since this mess started.

Ah yes. Another benefit of unregulated capitalism. We wouldn't want any government- even in the country importing the goods - to reduce the profits of capitalist manufacturers by mandating the inspection of goods, and rejecting substandard ones - would we?

Or perhaps my logic is faulty. Is it not likely that rejecting inferior goods and approving quality goods might provide incentive for manufacturers to produce only products that meet spec and would actually be paid for?

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
It's not symbolism. If the store cannot accommodate everyone at once during this pandemic, and it's too hot to wait outside, then the safe alternative is to come back another time. It sucks, but it's not their fault, and making false claims about "symbolism" doesn't change the facts.

It’s certainly symbolism, and my choice was to go next door to Sprouts, who didn’t have such a stupid and contemptuous policy. And not give TJ’s another cent of my money.

If the symbolism gives you comfort and you’re fine with causing heatstroke, by all means make a different choice.

OP
A

Alice of Old Vincennes

Major Contributor
Ah yes. Another benefit of unregulated capitalism. We wouldn't want any government- even in the country importing the goods - to reduce the profits of capitalist manufacturers by mandating the inspection of goods, and rejecting substandard ones - would we?

Or perhaps my logic is faulty. Is it not likely that rejecting inferior goods and approving quality goods might provide incentive for manufacturers to produce only products that meet spec and would actually be paid for?
You might want to research how customs inspections really work. Your senario would lock up imports and require a massive increase of custom inspectors. Importers from every country would howl indirect protectionism.

Wombat

Master Contributor

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You might want to research how customs inspections really work. Your senario would lock up imports and require a massive increase of custom inspectors. Importers from every country would howl indirect protectionism.

Don't be foolish - I suggested a concept - not a "scenario." I did not suggest that any particular style of inspections should be used. If a method does not work, change or refine it - don't give up and yield to inferiority.

It is not necessary to inspect every item in every shipment. When you've earned how statistics and random inspections can be effective, get back to me.

I also reject the premise that if someone "howls" you should yield to them.

Wombat

Master Contributor

Who said Customs inspections?

Are you not aware of the long established and successful Quality Assurance and the more simple Quality Control schemes in place domestically and internationally?

If you got crap nails it is because the US importer and reseller were happy to sell them to you.

Last edited:

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Don't be foolish - I suggested a concept - not a "scenario." I did not suggest that any particular style of inspections should be used. If a method does not work, change or refine it - don't give up and yield to inferiority.

It is not necessary to inspect every item in every shipment. When you've earned how statistics and random inspections can be effective, get back to me.

I also reject the premise that if someone "howls" you should yield to them.

It's mostly going to rely on the buyer making sure of what he's purchased rather than up to Customs procedures; Customs is already overwhelmed for the most part with our sheer volume of imports. They can't even find contraband well let alone police properly functioning products (or legally made, etc). Heck we don't even have an effective FTC for audio.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom