• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Menard's and Costco

Status
Not open for further replies.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
We are too far to get delivery from any store. Our Costco limits the number of people in and so can have super long lines. Last time we waited in that line, i say 60% wore masks. Other stores have almost no one wearing masks! Don't know why there is a difference there. Regardless of the difference, it won't be much of a hardship for costco buyers since so many people wore masks anyway.

Ratatoskr

Aerosol dispersion will occur anyway.
So it's basically useless.

See this study from Nature Medicine:
We also demonstrated the efficacy of surgical masks to reduce coronavirus detection and viral copies in large respiratory droplets and in aerosols (Table 1b). This has important implications for control of COVID-19, suggesting that surgical face masks could be used by ill people to reduce onward transmission.

Some doctors are now recommending a face shield as well as, or in place of a surgical mask. When I go grocery shopping I use both, get some strange looks but don't care. I go at 7 AM when the store is least busy.

Last edited:

Daverz

Major Contributor
Face covering are now required out in public here in San Diego County. I made one out of a worn out t-shirt and some rubberbands:

direstraitsfan98

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
The problem is many people take off the mask all the time defeating its purpose. I watch people from my windowsill and constantly see people waiting at the bus stop outside my apartment taking off their masks to smoke and while talking On the phone with others standing right beside them. I live downtown Toronto and I would say only 20% of people are wearing a mask and wearing it properly. A good 1/3 of people I see walking around don’t even wear a mask to begin with and the rest who do aren’t wearing it properly as I described above.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Our Costco limits the number of people in and so can have super long lines.

Trader Joe's does that here. So they have people standing around for long periods in 105° heat. Apparently, their corporate policy is, "Go die of heatstroke, Gramps."

Needless to say, they have lost a 30+ years customer for good.

Daverz

Major Contributor
I know that some stores here have online ordering for pickup at the store.

I've been using delivery from a combination of Amazon Fresh, Amazon Pantry, Instacart and Doordash.

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
We are too far to get delivery from any store. Our Costco limits the number of people in and so can have super long lines. Last time we waited in that line, i say 60% wore masks. Other stores have almost no one wearing masks! Don't know why there is a difference there. Regardless of the difference, it won't be much of a hardship for costco buyers since so many people wore masks anyway.

Costco has more masks because they attract a wealthier clientele. You have to pay a lot for a membership and buy in bulk. Poor people can't do that. Since I have a business location, albeit an empty one right now, I order Costco Business deliveries there. Those are only available in some parts of the country, though.

Trader Joe's does that here. So they have people standing around for long periods in 105° heat. Apparently, their corporate policy is, "Go die of heatstroke, Gramps."

I'd cut them some slack for trying to figure it all out. Better than packing everybody in? Dunno. Appointments would be smarter. If we all had appointments to go shopping, we'd dramatically lower exposure.

I had an appointment at the gun store. Some people still showed up without appointments. For the record, this gun was ordered before the proverbial SHTF. It was a long planned purchase and not my first firearm. Just bad timing. Ordered and paid before before everything went crazy. Arrived as everything went crazy. Then I wasn't going to deal with a crowd.

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
As noted already, the non-N95 masks being discussed here are meant to reduce - not prevent, but nevertheless reduce - the transmission of virus from the wearer, via large moist droplets. Such masks will not stop smaller, so-called aerosolized droplets that carry virus. But when people cough, sneeze, and so on, a large part of what they exhale is large droplets. This is why such masks are often said to be 50-80% effective - they are estimated to stop half to a little over 3/4 of virus that is exhaled/projected from the wearer.

As for Menard's masks being "Chinese crap," that's an incredibly ignorant and silly statement - millions upon millions of disposable masks, surgical masks, and N95 masks are made in China, and there is nothing shoddy or for that matter different about them than the masks made elsewhere.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Wow, that is tough. Weather here is just gorgeous so that part was not bad. Hard to say which is worse, having people line up outside being exposed to each other, or hoards of people in the store. The latter was the case in a grocery store on weekend and it was crazy.

OP
A

Alice of Old Vincennes

Major Contributor
As noted already, the non-N95 masks being discussed here are meant to reduce - not prevent, but nevertheless reduce - the transmission of virus from the wearer, via large moist droplets. Such masks will not stop smaller, so-called aerosolized droplets that carry virus. But when people cough, sneeze, and so on, a large part of what they exhale is large droplets. This is why such masks are often said to be 50-80% effective - they are estimated to stop half to a little over 3/4 of virus that is exhaled/projected from the wearer.

As for Menard's masks being "Chinese crap," that's an incredibly ignorant and silly statement - millions upon millions of disposable masks, surgical masks, and N95 masks are made in China, and there is nothing shoddy or for that matter different about them than the masks made elsewhere.
I buy Maize nails made in USA when I can find them. Asian nails have 50 percent failure rate. Last summer during hail storm vinyl siding repairs I gave up on big box nails and used 30 year old nails after removal. Even the bent nails were better. I guess you missed the media coverage on shoddy medical supplies from China since this mess started. I know the defense. Sellers weren't "authorized " by the totalitarian government. I drove by Meade Johnson in Evansville today. They have big business selling baby formula in China because mothers don't trust domestic suppliers.

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I buy Maize nails made in USA when I can find them. Asian nails have 50 percent failure rate. Last summer during hail storm vinyl siding repairs I gave up on big box nails and used 30 year old nails after removal. Even the bent nails were better. I guess you missed the media coverage on shoddy medical supplies from China since this mess started. I know the defense. Sellers weren't "authorized " by the totalitarian government. I drove by Meade Johnson in Evansville today. They have big business selling baby formula in China because mothers don't trust domestic suppliers.

Nails and baby formula are not masks.

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

I'm sorry for that situation - but it's not stupid or heartless of them to limit capacity in the store.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

Maybe you could pick a less busy time to go shopping:

1588557220361.png

OP
A

Alice of Old Vincennes

Major Contributor
Nails and baby formula are not masks.
You are correct. I guess if they cannot make a nail or baby formula then surely China won't skimp on masks. This will all pass in about a month. Unless we need to shut down the economy this fall. We have deer and native plants in Southern Indiana. I need to brush up on hunter gatherer techniques on You Tube.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Of course it helps somewhat but it does not completely that's basically all I tried to say.
I'd think what you said was taken "basically" which is obviously wrong. It's all a matter of to what degree we can limit spread.

OP
A

Alice of Old Vincennes

Major Contributor
I really am an easy going person. For.the last couple of weeks I just feel violated. When I entered Menard's yesterday I was caught off guard. I responded with anger and walked out. I have listened to my Governor's mouth in the last two weeks ad nauseum. Thank goodness for him office is term limited. I know Indiana. Our Governor's political career is over.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
I'm sorry for that situation - but it's not stupid or heartless of them to limit capacity in the store.

Giving us a worse alternative?

Nope. It's stupid, and shows that symbolism is more important than actual safety to them.

BTW, zero problems today at Lowe's and Fry's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom