• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Menard's and Costco

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomelex

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Giving us a worse alternative?

Nope. It's stupid, and shows that symbolism is more important than actual safety to them.

BTW, zero problems today at Lowe's and Fry's.

SIY, are you saying that standing in line at 6 feet or whatever for an extended period of time is not a good idea as far as what happens outside the store vs inside the store where it is just keeping 6 feet distance?

OP
A

Alice of Old Vincennes

Major Contributor
Giving us a worse alternative?

Nope. It's stupid, and shows that symbolism is more important than actual safety to them.

BTW, zero problems today at Lowe's and Fry's.
I purchased tile and CAT 6 cable at Lowe's today. Menard's insulted my intelligence.

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
1. Wear a mask in public. Just do it. Bring your own if you don't want to buy one. Stop complaining about your own lapse. You have no right to endanger other people unnecessarily.
2. Lots of stores limit the number of people who go inside. That's good safety, even if you don't like it.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
SIY, are you saying that standing in line at 6 feet or whatever for an extended period of time is not a good idea as far as what happens outside the store vs inside the store where it is just keeping 6 feet distance?

High risk folks standing out in Arizona summer temperatures is just a terrible idea.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
High risk folks standing out in Arizona summer temperatures is just a terrible idea.
Well with those Arizona temps, 6 ft outdoors prevents a domino effect. If people stood close together outside, one fall could topple the whole line. This way one can fall right out and everyone walk around. True that person also will likely smack their skull on pavement, but hey you can't have everything can you.

I think you're left with self preservation causing high risk people to just not go if they have to stand in line. Maybe they could offer free home delivery for those 60 and over.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Well with those Arizona temps, 6 ft outdoors prevents a domino effect. If people stood close together outside, one fall could topple the whole line. This way one can fall right out and everyone walk around. True that person also will likely smack their skull on pavement, but hey you can't have everything can you.

Who are you, who are so wise in the ways of science?

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Who are you, who are so wise in the ways of science?
One who has never set foot in Arizona. But one who seeing the upcoming forecast thinks standing out in the sun at 107 degrees is not a good idea for older people even if it is a dry heat with low humidity.

1588568391451.png

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Maybe you could pick a less busy time to go shopping:
We have done that it makes a big difference. Another thing Costco is doing is going back to their longer open hours which should help a lot.

Wombat

Master Contributor
The supermarkets, here, had an 'oldies only' shopping hour. Unfortunately you needed a rooster to wake you up in time to get there. :facepalm:

OP
A

Alice of Old Vincennes

Major Contributor
Just be careful regarding your opinions. You will be censored and banned from a thread if your comments are "nonsensical rantings." I was banned from two threads regarding this issue. I am an old man with a different perspective. I guess things have changed. In the the 1970's the colleges I attended encouraged differences of opinion. So my advice is to follow the mob or just keep your mouth shut.

Wombat

Master Contributor
Just be careful regarding your opinions. You will be censored and banned from a thread if your comments are "nonsensical rantings." I was banned from two threads regarding this issue. I am an old man with a different perspective. I guess things have changed. In the the 1970's the colleges I attended encouraged differences of opinion. So my advice is to follow the mob or just keep your mouth shut.

You are not the only person affected by the Covid-19 pandemic. Cut the poor-poor-me diatribes and present your opinions rationally for consideration.

Last edited:
OP
A

Alice of Old Vincennes

Major Contributor
You are not the only person affected by the Covid-19 pandemic. Cut the poor-poor-me diatribes and present your opinions rationally for consideration.
I need stay off this issue and converse with my own generation. So hateful to your elders.

Daverz

Major Contributor
I need stay off this issue and converse with my own generation. So hateful to your elders.

This old fart is not impressed.

"Covid-19 deaths in the United States will rise to more than 3,000 a day by June 1, with new confirmed cases surging to about 200,000 daily, a draft government report projects."

Let's remember that you started the thread because you couldn't be arsed to wear a mask in a supermarket.

scott wurcer

Major Contributor
Audio Luminary
Technical Expert
In the the 1970's the colleges I attended encouraged differences of opinion. So my advice is to follow the mob or just keep your mouth shut.

Really at MIT in '69 or '70 they did not allow a William Shockley speaking engagement.

Daverz

Major Contributor
Which by the way as all places of business are not public property.

I'm not sure what your point is. The law allows for the regulation of businesses like supermarkets. By the way, MIT is a private university, so they can certainly keep racist kooks off their campus if they choose to.

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Trader Joe's does that here. So they have people standing around for long periods in 105° heat. Apparently, their corporate policy is, "Go die of heatstroke, Gramps."

Needless to say, they have lost a 30+ years customer for good.

My reaction to Trader Joe's maximum occupancy instructions is exactly opposite to yours. I'm glad they're doing it and it makes me more likely to shop there. The sidewalk is marked every six feet so the line does not crowd, and they have an employee enforcing distancing in the line. They've also changed their layout in my local store to be more compatible with social distancing. That took some time for refamiliarization but is a smart, well thought-out move. They also have shields up for their cashiers, hand sanitizer for entering customers, and are individually washing carts after each use. They even have people in the parking lot retrieving carts from customers so they can send the carts through their sanitation workflow immediately. Overall very thoughtful procedures, and here they are executed well.

We haven't been to Costco since the pandemic hit, or any place other than TJ's, Publix, the labor and delivery ward, the pediatrician, and very briefly Kroger that once. Aside from the pandemic, we're being extra careful because the newest member of our household only just got her first month vaccinations. One thing Costco hasn't done but should have is allow use of their credit card and "executive" member rewards checks on their website. That has lost them online orders from me.

I do not know what Menard's is.

Here in ATL, I would say Trader Joe's and Publix are doing the best job, while Kroger and Whole Foods are failing. (I haven't been to Sprouts since the pandemic hit.)

Publix has a cart sanitation workflow, gloves/masks/sanitizer for employees, plexiglass shields at registers, and they have made aisles one way. I don't recall them accepting Apple Pay previously ("contactless" for those outside the US) but now they do and make a point to encourage it.

Kroger didn't even have wipes for customers, let alone someone cleaning the carts, when I stepped in (only to leave and go to Publix because they weren't taking things seriously).

According to a friend of mine who plays in the ASO, WF has similar policies but seems to have stopped enforcing them after Comrade Kemp's purge order came into effect. (We've since learned that Kemp's order wasn't arbitrary, but in fact highly data driven. His administration is also gaming the data like a good little provincial Party apparatchik who wants his Five Year Plan numbers to look good.)

Surely they've set up some shade for people in line. Right? If not, that is a problem.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
It’s 107 here. Shade is of minimum help for the first three people in line, and there is none for anyone else. This is a viciously stupid policy, and I’ll not go back there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom