• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Menard's and Costco

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alice of Old Vincennes

Major Contributor
Menard's started nationwide mask policy. They will sell one for a dollar. I assume Chinese junk. I didn't examine as exited stage right. Costco's starts Monday. Not sure how they will handle customers with COPD and other health issues. My wife is nurse and required to wear for 12 hour shift. Blood pressure shot up 20 points. Probably caused by carbon dioxide buildup. Not sure why now on the downside with warm weather. Probably afraid of lawsuits by advertising sharks.

GeorgeBynum

Costco's website says "This requirement does not apply to children under the age of 2 or to individuals who are unable to wear a face covering due to a medical condition." I expect they trust you on the medical condition.

A800

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Good luck.
Pore size of those masks is like 20-50µm while "the corona virus" is supposed to be like 480nm in diameter.

A800

Masks are not meant to filter out the virus, but to prevent aerosol dispersion.
Aerosol dispersion will occur anyway.
So it's basically useless.

Daverz

Major Contributor
If you have a condition like that, I would suggest using a delivery service if you can afford the extra cost or having someone else shop for you if possible. Please don't go out in public without a mask.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Lots of businesses in Houston are requiring masks. They may be concerned about their employees being exposed or lawsuits.

OP
A

Alice of Old Vincennes

Major Contributor
Concerned about lawsuits. A phony pseudo science class action is coming. You will be subject to endless commercials by the same crew pushing roundup lawsuits.

DChenery

Forum Donor
Not sure, but I'm thinking you didn't actually read the paper. It is about filtration of airborne solids and particulate matter for cyclists. Remember that health officials are requesting people to wear masks not as particulate filters, but as individual "sneeze guards". The two processes are not related, and it seems to be extremely common that this distinction is not understood.

Here is a short excerpt from the introductory paragraph of the Conclusions section that clearly states the aim of this study:

1588476374429.png

A800

I think the effect is the same.

DChenery

Forum Donor
I think the effect is the same.
For a "Senior Member" of what is generally touted to be an Objectivist site, that is an interesting reply. Research and metastudies woukld seem to disagree:

1.0 From Healthline:
1588478048158.png

And the 2013 study is:

Influenza Virus Aerosols in Human Exhaled Breath: Particle Size, Culturability, and Effect of Surgical Masks

With the important findings (there were many more), to this discussion were
1588478355395.png

So yes, masks are not perfect, but they significantly decrease the spread of anthropologically generated aerosols.

A800

Of course it helps somewhat but it does not completely that's basically all I tried to say.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Many businesses have free delivery now. I've been racking up on that so I can stay out of stores. I don't think it will become permanent policy, but for now its a good thing. Don't risk the virus and save the trouble, time, expense of going to the store. Won't work for all items, but does for many.

Wombat

Master Contributor

Daverz

Major Contributor
It's a collective action problem. My mask protects you, your mask protects me. If we are the only ones wearing masks in the store, it's not doing much for anyone, but if most of us are wearing masks some protection is provided.

electricmonk

Yes.
I meant useless for real protection.
There's no such thing as "real protection" if by that you mean 100% protection. Even a slight percentage improvement could mean many people are not infected. All this being said, the true efficacy of cloth coverings and other masks at reducing infection is simple unknown at present. There is no need to pretend you are so sure they are useless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom