• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Mechanical Isolation Devices: Myth?

Speedskater

Major Contributor
Mechanical Isolation can be important for:
a] Turntable, tonearm, cartridge combinations.
b] some vacuum tube components.
c] hand held microphone and musical instrument cables.
d] units with some boutique capacitors.
Loudspeaker are a different topic!
no well designed modern electronic unit needs Mechanical Isolation.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Mechanical Isolation can be important for:
a] Turntable, tonearm, cartridge combinations.
b] some vacuum tube components.
c] hand held microphone and musical instrument cables.
Loudspeaker are a different topic!
no well designed modern electronic unit needs Mechanical Isolation.
I agree, from a common sense viewpoint. Still, if someone can show actual data that isolation makes a difference, I'm interested.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
What I had in mind was more in line with the type of testing done for aerospace products and such. Put it on a shaker table and see how (if) the output changes as you crank up the vibrations. For audio, measure the output of e.g. a DAC. Transmissibility data will not be understood by the wider audience, and as noted do not translate directly to audibility. That is a function of the component and its sensitivity to vibration.

Immersing in a sound field as @SIY suggested can be interesting and probably more relevant. A shaker table is usually a low-frequency device. I did sound-field testing in the primordial past when I was trying to optimize my turntable's isolation. I had a "silent track" on a recording and played pink noise on my speakers as loud as I could stand and measured the output from my preamp while the disk spun. Later I helped with something similar for flight-rated oscillators when we immersed them in a sound field as well as doing the usual shaker tests. Pilots get vexed if the radar readout dances around during flight, and the astronauts on the space shuttle had similar concerns. Those were the days...

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
The question is not whether the device isolates but whether that isolation has any effect on the performance of a hifi system's components. Like I said earlier, turntables are a no-brainer, but it gets a lot more dubious from there.
Probably very similar for most tube based electronics.
But the isolation table stuff does little to eliminate contamination from air-born vibrations beating on the microphonic device

The cap's can be microphonic?
Don't remember reading that before.

sq225917

Major Contributor
Yup, just try slapping a big HV Deluded (sic) DC biased capacitor, and watch the scope trails jiggle

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Yup, just try slapping a big HV Deluded (sic) DC biased capacitor, and watch the scope trails jiggle
I'd love to.
Can I borrow your scope? ;)
Thinking about the construction of most caps, I guess it only makes sense.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
But the isolation table stuff does little to eliminate contamination from air-born vibrations beating on the microphonic device

The cap's can be microphonic?
Don't remember reading that before.
Well, if that's the case, we won't see any effect. But if the sound field gets transmitted mechanically to the DUT, or if vibration is present in the environment from A/C or passing traffic, then if it's microphonic, we may see some changes. And then, if not, we have good evidence that the effect of the device for audio systems is psychological rather than physical.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
@Sal1950 Boutique caps are often wound poorly with insufficient tension (especially PTFE), and that can make them microphonic. This is why I will only use mass produced machine made caps in my builds.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
@Sal1950 Boutique caps are often wound poorly with insufficient tension (especially PTFE), and that can make them microphonic. This is why I will only use mass produced machine made caps in my builds.
Thanks, but what about the mass produced parts like you used.
Do the offer just lower levels or are they basically inert?
If I taped them with my finger can the result be seen on a scope?
Just curious
TIA

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Thanks, but what about the mass produced parts like you used.
Do the offer just lower levels or are they basically inert?
If I taped them with my finger can the result be seen on a scope?
Just curious
TIA
Much lower levels. You'll see almost nothing in a tap test under normal use conditions. The same can't be said for PTFE boutique "hand made" caps, which may as well be microphones.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Much lower levels. You'll see almost nothing in a tap test under normal use conditions. The same can't be said for PTFE boutique "hand made" caps, which may as well be microphones.
Many thanks.
Maybe that explains a bit of the reason for changed (improved HA HA) sonics from them, specially inside a speaker.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Many thanks.
Maybe that explains a bit of the reason for changed (improved HA HA) sonics from them, specially inside a speaker.
There's a weird audiophile fascination with PTFE, whether in caps or cables. Yet it's a poor choice for either application.

Sokel

Master Contributor
Why argue when we can test real life??

left in peace.PNG

Left alone

Messing with it.PNG

Tapping on it

Both.PNG

Both for the lazy.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Tapping on something is a good way to diagnose microphonics but doesn't represent a realistic use case for determining the auditory efficacy of isolation devices.

Sokel

Master Contributor
Tapping on something is a good way to diagnose microphonics but doesn't represent a realistic use case for determining the auditory efficacy of isolation devices.
(it was slight tapping,I didn't hit it with a hammer [yet] )

I mean if its so sensitive in a loopback with 30 cm cable,well...

Seismion

Audio Company
What I had in mind was more in line with the type of testing done for aerospace products and such. Put it on a shaker table and see how (if) the output changes as you crank up the vibrations. For audio, measure the output of e.g. a DAC. Transmissibility data will not be understood by the wider audience, and as noted do not translate directly to audibility. That is a function of the component and its sensitivity to vibration.

Immersing in a sound field as @SIY suggested can be interesting and probably more relevant. A shaker table is usually a low-frequency device. I did sound-field testing in the primordial past when I was trying to optimize my turntable's isolation. I had a "silent track" on a recording and played pink noise on my speakers as loud as I could stand and measured the output from my preamp while the disk spun. Later I helped with something similar for flight-rated oscillators when we immersed them in a sound field as well as doing the usual shaker tests. Pilots get vexed if the radar readout dances around during flight, and the astronauts on the space shuttle had similar concerns. Those were the days...
Well, actually it would be quite possible for us to test devices in such way. We once had an industrial client, who was considering to use our isolator for their products. But they wanted to be sure that the final result is in agreement with required specifications. Therefore he gave us the vibration spectrum that was measured at the clients floor, and we should show how our isolator would perform in such condition.
In order to make these measurements, we had to develop our own shaker, and control the vibrations in such a way, that it generates the same spectrum (given in one-third terz band amplitudes) as at the clients place. Then we placed our isolator on top of that shaker, and we could measure how the isolated spectrum would look like.

Reproducing a vibration spectrum with coloured noise is much more challenging than for example just outputting white noise, or some harmonic vibration, which could also be done by it.

Do I understand your intention correctly, and would this help you with your tests when placing the different equipment on top?

Seismion

Audio Company

one additional remark that might be interesting, and maybe relevant in this context:
if we used a wav-file of some music recording, and send this as the control signal to our shaker, we could actually hear that music, since the plate of the shaker acted like a microphone. That proves our shaker also works in the audible frequency range, and the amplitudes could be adjusted from extremely small to rather large ones.

Seismion

Audio Company
Hi Marcus,
back in the 1970s I worked for Garrard, who made record players, as a noise and vibration research engineer. I noticed then how much environmental vibration record players picked up and found the only way to get a reliable rumble measurement was on an isolation table.

Knowing this, when I eventually, bought a house where this was possible, I set up my system with the record player and electronics in my study with speaker cables going through to the living room.

The trouble is I didn’t like the sound as much and eventually concluded that a lot of what people like about record players is the extra bit of false reverberation they pick up this way and add to the signal.

I have reverted to having the, now little used, record player in the same room as the speakers.
Hello Frank,
thanks for this insight. Yes, I can fully imagine that this side-effect is actually welcomed and makes for the characteristic TT sound.

As mentioned above by some others, another path of excitation is through air pressure, and this would still remain even on an active isolator. Consider that the isolator is controlled by active forces, but still is a rather soft mounting. So, the isolator would probably mostly filter out the unwanted environmental noise like foot-fall, air-conditioner pumps, wind-excitation etc. that goes via the floor (at least this is my guess).

But what is for sure, and you confirm this: (active) isolation would never fit for everyone, it all comes down to personal taste

Top Bottom