• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Measuring Subs+Mains REW workflow

tjcinnamon

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Is the appropriate way to measure subs+mains in REW to use the Java Drivers and then run them L+R?

Then to EQ the subs with ASIO on Output 4?

Seems that ASIO on output 4 yields a much louder result because it’s LFE.

alex-z

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I personally EQ the subs first, getting a smooth response out to 200Hz with a bit of bass bump. Then I measure and EQ the other channels with the sub EQ already in place.

Tip for doing the sub EQ, make sure to disable the LFE low-pass on your AV receiver. Otherwise will it rolloff at 120Hz, which is fine for watching movies, but bad for doing the measurement + EQ process.

No point using the Java driver at all if you have ASIO available.

apexkingjusto

Wow subs up to 200Hz, I’ve never heard of that. I thought most people try to limit them around 80 -120Hz with a max roll off to 160Hz.

apexkingjusto

Ahh ok
Yes, but you want the sub to be smooth at least an octave above the crossover point ...
Ahh ok thanks! Just checked the correction i posted for my subs in another thread earlier, I see how Audyssey smoothed helped smooth them out a bit from 150Hz to 200Hz, I have crossovers set at 120Hz.

Top Bottom