• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Assistance on REW measurements

heboil

Hi everyone -

I was able to finally output a test sweep to USB and run REW (20hz - 20000hz). I did it on L & R channels. My system has mains set to small, x-over is at 80hz and subs are connected. But the bass is missing from my data. My subs are connected via LFE, but as my AVR (Denon x3600h) is managing bass and redirecting bass to the sub under 80hz, I should be seeing some more on the data. The subs are working, shake the house etc and produce bass in my 2-channel stereo listening, as well as movies and tv.

Thoughts?

all spl.jpg

Flexecutioner

Are you triggering your subs with the "Auto On" feature? I've run into a similar issue when spending time setting things up caused the subs to go to sleep and they don't trigger on before the sweep. If so, just manually set them to "On" or run 2 sweeps back to back and discard the first measurement.

OP
H

heboil

Are you triggering your subs with the "Auto On" feature? I've run into a similar issue when spending time setting things up caused the subs to go to sleep and they don't trigger on before the sweep. If so, just manually set them to "On" or run 2 sweeps back to back and discard the first measurement.

The subs were on.

ceramic

just to understand, you hear the low frequencies during the sweeps but the software does not record them?
(does the mic pick up the low fq if REW generates pink noise?)

the first thing i would check is the REW settings making sure the testing mic is selected and not some other device such as a laptop mic..

alex-z

Addicted to Fun and Learning
As a sanity check do a sweep of the LFE channel by itself. Should be channel #4 when using ASIO4ALL over HDMI.

Also check you are not using the Direct or Pure Direct mode. When running in these modes all the processing features are disabled, including subwoofer crossover. Only the LFE channel will actually come out of the subwoofer.

OP
H

heboil

OK... I can't get the wav file to include the bass. I have my equipment in an adjacent room, but I was able to run the test through HDMI with the gear door slightly open (not what I want). Using ASIO4ALL, running the sweep does include the bass. Here is my graph wih the front two channels (sub included).

Screenshot 2024-02-29 103720.jpg

Top Bottom