• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Order of Operations Question as a Noob

HomeStereo

Forum Donor
Hi everyone,

I know a variety of guides exist for each one of these steps but I just wanted to make sure that I’m thinking through the steps necessary in the correct sequence in order to get the best sound possible out of my new system!

Setup:
L R speakers are Revel Performa 3 MK105
2 SVS SB 1000 subwoofers playing summed mono signals
DSP - MINIDSP DDRC24
DAC - MOTU M4

Im assuming that in order to EQ the system I should do the following:

1. Take speaker measurements using REW without subwoofers and generate EQ measurements across the entire frequency
2. gain match each subwoofer to speakers
3. Generate crossover freq for each sub using REW
3. run Multi sub optimizer and export settings to channel 3 and 4 (sub 1 and 2 respectively)
4. Run a quick REW sweep w everything connected to make sure no funky results
5. Run DIRAC for final tuning

Is there anything I’m missing? Any advice is much appreciated!

Thank you

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
Wait for more responses, but it looks logical to me.

Except...
[quite]3. Generate crossover freq for each sub using REW
[/quote]
You might just want to choose a "standard" sub crossover frequency. 80Hz is common for home theater setups. You might want to go a little higher.

REW could mislead you because the Revels may put-out flat-bass to 40Hz (I don't know) but those tiny woofers will crap-out if you try to go loud at 40Hz.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
the Revels may put-out flat-bass to 40Hz (I don't know) but those tiny woofers will crap-out if you try to go loud at 40Hz.
Exactly. Make the subs do the heavy lifting.

OP
H

HomeStereo

Forum Donor
Unfortunately I can’t go loud as I live in NYC and my neighbors have a trigger happy noise complaint habit (at 3 pm on a Saturday for example) - my main goal is just to smoothen out the bass response in my apartment and have a nice stereo image around 60 db SPL

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Unfortunately I can’t go loud as I live in NYC and my neighbors have a trigger happy noise complaint habit (at 3 pm on a Saturday for example) - my main goal is just to smoothen out the bass response in my apartment and have a nice stereo image around 60 db SPL
In that case I would not use a highpass on the mains, at least not above 40hz or so. If you're not doing high SPL, then you get more opportunities / ability to fill in nulls when you have more speakers playing a certain frequency. So if you have nulls below 80hz, if you run the mains full range they can help fill them in.

OP
H

HomeStereo

Forum Donor
Hmm interesting - what would you consider loud? Like I usually exist between 60-75 spl - 75 being absolute max

RickyC34

It appears you have two dacs is this by plan? How do you plan to hook up the Minidsp and the MOTU?

1. I would gain match speakers and subs and set delays before Dirac but not xover or eq for mains or subs. I would let Dirac handle that.
2. yes, and delay
3. I've not used MSO but Predirac is where it would be implemented.
3.5 If I remember correctly, you do not set the xover (on subs or speakers) until after Dirac with the ddrc-24.
4. Run Dirac - make sure to use your mic's calibration file. I use the 90-degree one.
5. Try multiple xovers until you find the one that works best.
6. May want to double-check Dirac's delay settings using a timing reference in rew.

For some reason, I have had better results with closer measurements to the main listening position for example the 9-point measurement vs the 13-point. This will yield a more narrow "sweet spot" but for me, in my system, the tradeoff is well worth it.

Top Bottom