• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Measuring intersample overs

Mike-48

It appears to me that intersample overs are a known distortion mechanism in some DACs. Can the vulnerability of a DAC to this be inferred from any of the measurements currently made by ASR?

Rock Rabbit

No, test are made with tones not music, but the "dashboard" test is with 2 Vrms (all bits used) if the thd is abnormally high (out of spec) at full scale don't even think in overs. For clipped music better to process first (oversampling, gain reduction or declipping, back to original sampling rate).
Maybe a carefully selected white noise test could do (due to crest factor)

OP
M

Mike-48

Been a few threads about overs.

Yes, I've read those. If they answer the question I asked ("Can the vulnerability of a DAC to this be inferred from any of the measurements currently made by ASR?"), I didn't see it.

MusicNBeer

Forum Donor
It's easy to make a test wav file with 3 dB overs. You just make the samples 1,1,-1,-1,1,1,-1,-1,... Where 1 is fullscale. A clean reconstruction will be a perfect sinewave at Fs/4.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, I've read those. If they answer the question I asked ("Can the vulnerability of a DAC to this be inferred from any of the measurements currently made by ASR?"), I didn't see it.
Yes you are correct. They don't answer your question. I thought they'd add to the discussion of what kind of signals or testing would answer it. As currently done I don't believe any of Amir's test signals will give you the answer.

bennetng

Major Contributor
It appears to me that intersample overs are a known distortion mechanism in some DACs. Can the vulnerability of a DAC to this be inferred from any of the measurements currently made by ASR?
Like this?
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...measurements-of-cambridge-dacmagic-plus.6887/
index.php

Top Bottom