• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Measurements and Review of Schiit Yggdrasil DAC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dismayed

I tend to agree with him there. Not dithering the source would be a criminal offence in DSP circles. :)

I have read JA's paragraph above and it doesn't compute for me. Measurements are measurements. If there are design errors, it doesn't matter. He should still interpret the numbers as I do. Maybe he did and it was too low and he didn't want to say it. :)

Maybe you are measuring the wrong thing. Stereophile's primary metric is likely ad revenue.

mindbomb

@amirm
So, Jude of Head-Fi is attacking these results
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/schiit-yggdrasil-impressions-thread.766347/page-558#post-14289631

imo, most of what Jude said is bullshit. However, he does note that there is modest improvement in performance when using the balanced outputs, and that does improve the yggdrassil's standing in my mind( from unacceptable to meh).

Also, am I crazy, or does this not at all sound like the same person who wrote this
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/mas...-discrete-resistor-ladder-dac-for-350.881315/

Did someone else write this? Is headfi selling native ads in the form of Jude posts? Cause this sounds suspiciously like Jason of Schiit and not Jude from headfi imo.

Last edited:
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

Jimster480

Major Contributor
@amirm
So, Jude of Head-Fi is attacking these results
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/schiit-yggdrasil-impressions-thread.766347/page-558#post-14289631

imo, most of what Jude said is bullshit. However, he does note that there is modest improvement in performance when using the balanced outputs, and that does improve the yggdrassil's standing in my mind( from unacceptable to meh).

Also, am I crazy, or does this not at all sound like the same person who wrote this (which is what Jude usually talks like)
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/mas...-discrete-resistor-ladder-dac-for-350.881315/

Did someone else write this? Is headfi selling native ads in the form of Jude posts? Cause this sounds suspiciously like Jason of Schiit and not Jude from headfi imo.
i can tell you that Jude has had different personalities when responding to me aswell in PM's originally on HeadFi.
One time he was very level headed and another post he ranted like a little kid (similar to the way that Jason acts in his threads when he gets called out).
I couldn't find other evidence of it at the time so I never even suggested such a thing but now that this comes out... it looks as if Jason possibly has access to Jude's headfi account. Which wouldn't be surprising considering that Schiit also owns SBAF in a similar way.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Folks, I like us to take the high road here and discuss the data rather than personalities. I have had 5 hours of sleep in the last two nights trying to create more time in the day to catch up with all the chores I have. So let me review what is produced and then I will comment.

garbulky

Major Contributor
I would like to comment on that. But I can't figure out where the "comments on audio measurement" thread is. If somebody would kindly point me there so I wouldn't clutter this thread....

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Seems like HeadFi cannot handle the truth... what else is new?

The on-going verbal diarrhea at HeadFi, now 560+ pages long, by the Schitt fanboys and "sounds good to me" crowd is disgusting and should be moderated by any staff with a conscience. But no, they let the name calling, insults, and unsubstantiated claims go unchallenged. Is it any wonder why the audiophile community has such a negative reputation with the rest of the science/technology based world. I won't say that thread has reached an all time low for the lunatic fringe audio bunch but it's pretty damn close.
Don't they realize how totally phoolish they make themselves look?

Jimster480

Major Contributor
The on-going verbal diarrhea at HeadFi, now 560+ pages long, by the Schitt fanboys and "sounds good to me" crowd is disgusting and should be moderated by any staff with a conscience. But no, they let the name calling, insults, and unsubstantiated claims go unchallenged. Is it any wonder why the audiophile community has such a negative reputation with the rest of the science/technology based world. I won't say that thread has reached an all time low for the lunatic fringe audio bunch but it's pretty damn close.
Don't they realize how totally phoolish they make themselves look?
I don't think they care at this point because they are rolling in the cash and need to make sure they keep this position for all the newbies and uninformed. HeadFi makes a ton of money for them so... the status quo cannot be lost and they will do whatever is necessary to keep it going.

From the guys who "never attended the seminars" to other people with literally no experience just questioning everything that amir writes and trying their hardest to discredit anything related to objective tests that they cannot control.

Jinjuku

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Bottom line is Amir's measurements can either be debunked or they can't. If they can't then there is no foundation to stand on from a measurement POV.

If you want to say certain devices sound great even with distortion, non-linearities, channel imbalance, etc... I don't mind if you like a dirty martini. Just don't call it a straight up martini.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
Bottom line is Amir's measurements can either be debunked or they can't. If they can't then there is no foundation to stand on from a measurement POV.

If you want to say certain devices sound great even with distortion, non-linearities, channel imbalance, etc... I don't mind if you like a dirty martini. Just don't call it a straight up martini.
Well that's how I feel. Even if some of the measurements are inaudible.... to claim that its fine to make such claims that its better when its not actually better because people listen to it and think it sounds good is not actually true.
Part of this is what they are pushing, claiming that because people have heard the products and like them, that Amir is wrong.... but the reality is that many people who have heard the products have no other reference or are new/inexperienced.

stalepie

@amirm
Also, am I crazy, or does this not at all sound like the same person who wrote this

Did someone else write this? Is headfi selling native ads in the form of Jude posts? Cause this sounds suspiciously like Jason of Schiit and not Jude from headfi imo. I'm seeing an absence of Jude's writing style and the presence of Jason's defensiveness towards schiit criticism.

Don't know, but were you aware of the recent controversy about this DAC?

https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/8patt4

Jinjuku

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

ProfFalkin

1000+ Head-Fier

amirm said:
More later....​
Maybe you can try answering Jude's pointed questions instead of deflecting further.​

What an asshole.

gvl

Major Contributor
Did someone else write this? Is headfi selling native ads in the form of Jude posts? Cause this sounds suspiciously like Jason of Schiit and not Jude from headfi imo. I'm seeing an absence of Jude's writing style and the presence of Jason's defensiveness towards schiit criticism.

The fact that head-fi is a vendor-sponsored platform shouldn't be a surprise to anyone. I thought that specific post/response was good and professional. It is possible they used a cherry-picked unit for their measurements.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom