• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Measurement of R2R DAC

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Is that common?

My eye was drawn to them, as if I'd never seen them before...

Maybe they've stumbled upon phonons of anti-noise.

If they can be harnessed and manipulated, well...

Sgidora

Any chance that there is a Massdrop x Airist Audio R-2R review coming? Has anyone been in contact about sending a unit in for measurements?

Sgidora

I have been tempted to buy it a few times but the measurements out there show it to be terrible. Translation: post measurement I will be stuck with it!
Fair! Hopefully someone gets around to sending you one sometime. Although it seems unlikely for there to be any big surprises...
I have the THX 789 on order after reading your review (was lucky to snag one from the last order batch) and really want to pair a DAC with matching aesthetics. I just wish Massdrop would release a high quality delta sigma DAC in the same chassis.

I do actually have myself in for the next preorder of the Airist R-2R right now but am considering cancelling... At the same time it's not a ton of money and I imagine resale would not be impossible. Am curious to try it for myself, but for sure won't get one before August or September (assuming I don't cancel).

Still hope someone gets around to sending you one for review! Come on people! :p

gvl

Major Contributor
If you already have a USB to SPDIF converter, there is plenty of much cleaner measuring vintage R2R DACs that can be had for 1/2 price of the Massdrop one or maybe less.

Newk Yuler

I have been tempted to buy it a few times but the measurements out there show it to be terrible. Translation: post measurement I will be stuck with it!

We need to get everyone together and figure out better ways of getting hardware on your bench. Nothing works better to get people motivated than some kind of incentive program. Like a contest. We need a way to overcome the shipping cost issues that get impractical with heavier equipment. We really should be able to hammer out some decent ideas. No shortage of smart guys here. Heck, an incentive program for solving these problems would be cool. If we don't brainstorm the issues we'll end up waiting until someone stumbles on solutions in practical examples. Over time. Tick tock. We're smarter than these drawbacks. Or some of you are smarter than these drawbacks. ;) We could start with a list of problems from Amir's perspective and hammer on them individually.

gvl

Major Contributor
Measurement raffle, peope chip in on a particular unit, Amir buys and measures it once enough funds, and a lucky winner who gets the item for free after is selected randomly. Amir gets a free entry into the raffle.

Veri

Master Contributor
Last edited:

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Where did this whole R2R DAC fetish among some audiophiles come from?

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Vintage, and does not require digital filtering so more "analog". IMO - Don

garbulky

Major Contributor
See here:

These are of course, non-ASR measurements of a different analyser and set-up, but the overall picture is clear. 10.5 bits of resolution lol. You need 16-bit for proper rendering of standard CD audio :D
Oh boy.
index.php

https://www.superbestaudiofriends.org/index.php?attachments/rdac-1khz-0db-1-jpg.13049/
We're having distortion spikes approaching -65 db. Audible? It's arguable that it may be though I would likely have trouble even at these relatively high levels for digital dacs! The subjective reviews appear good but man, I don't think I'm interested anymore. I see some droop in higher frequencies too. Even worse after these were published there are announcements of "adjustments" being made to reduce distortion. That tells me that their design was poor to begin with and they are using basic measurements by consumers as feedback. Smacks of inadequate design.
What a pity.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
You're telling me this isn't a good result? :D
index.php
I love the fact that the power supply noises that bleed to higher frequencies are already higher than distortion of best performers.

Veri

Master Contributor
This surprised me. Audial AYA DAC, with multibit TDA1541A DAC chip. They have a measurements 'graphs' tab.
It won't compete with current ~ESS DACs but this is not bad for a 16-bit design at all! Compare to the Airist R-2R for example ;)

hd-06db-cap.png

fabien32

So waveform isn't waveform anymore?
cute :) of course waveform are waveform. And some of the parameters overlap, But the fact the the THD+D or the OVB etc are not as good as in some high end delta-sigma DAC, doesnt mean that overall they will sound better. to really understand the sound produce by an r-2r, there are other factor to be consider. like how much data from the original recording you actually hear? what manipulation was or wasn't made to the sound etc. every technology comes with its goods and bads. what i m saying is when you put the good vs the bad you may find the good out-wait the bad dramatically,
cheers

Top Bottom