• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Measurement MacBook Pro Output (Newbie)

Hasan Aydin

hello,
I want to measure my MacBook Pro headphone output with my ADI-2 Pro using the REW software. This is the first time I measure something and I'm a beginner.

My question is:
Can I use a simple 3.5mm jack to XLR cable for this or would that be a problem because that is unbalanced to balanced connection?
Something like this: Screenshot 2022-06-05 at 13.09.35.png

Last edited:

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
Note - do this with the Macbook on battery and the RME on another machine in order to eliminate ground loop issues. Yes, REW's author says
You can save REW's measurement sweep to a WAV file from the signal generator, including a timing reference if desired.
(If you need to record on a Windows machine, note that ASIO has to be used for >16 bit samples.)

If you do need a loopback measurement on the same machine, your best chance at a (largely) bulletproof measurement setup would be making your own cable or at least modifying an existing one if feasible (a lot of XLR connectors will open / unscrew but not all may). The most likely configuration to be found is
Signal --> XLR pin 2
Ground --> XLR pin 1, plus bridged to pin 3

What you'd want is
Signal --> XLR pin 2
Ground --> XLR pin 3 only

Top Bottom