• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Connecting T4 dock to Fosi v3

vurt

Hi all, I got a real newbie question. :facepalm:

I have an M1 Pro MacBook Pro > Kensington SD5700T T4 dock > Fosi v3 > speakers.

The T4 dock has a 3.5mm in front for headphones.

Do I use a 3.5mm to RCA cable or USB to RCA?

(I don't use the 3.5mm jack so maybe I should just use that to connect the amp?)

o_O

staticV3

Master Contributor
Do I use a 3.5mm to RCA cable or USB to RCA?
3.5mm to RCA would use the DAC that's built into the dock.

USB to RCA would use the DAC that's built into the cable.

I don't know if there would be a noticeable difference between the two. I'd have to measure it to say for sure.

OP
V

vurt

I know the USB will have its own DAC and I'm ambivalent about that since it's a random cable off Amazon. Not sure how the DAC in the USB cable will sound.

3.5mm to RCA would use the DAC that's built into the dock.

Oh I didn't know that :( Since the laptop has a 3.5mm, I thought the dock's 3.5mm is like a "pass through" from the laptop.

What other ways are there though, the T4 dock and Fosi don'tt have SPDIF .

staticV3

Master Contributor
I know the USB will have its own DAC and I'm ambivalent about that since it's a random cable off Amazon. Not sure how the DAC in the USB cable will sound.

Oh I didn't know that :( Since the laptop has a 3.5mm, I thought the dock's 3.5mm is like a "pass through" from the laptop.

What other ways are there though, the T4 dock and Fosi don'tt have SPDIF .
You will have to use a DAC to connect your Fosi to your laptop.

This can be your laptop's built-in DAC using a 3.5mm to RCA adapter;
The dock's built-in DAC using a 3.5mm to RCA adapter;
Or an external USB DAC connected between the dock and the Amp.

Any one of these will work and will, more likely than not, result in identical sound quality.

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I would just try it with the dock's 3.5mm out and see if you notice any problems. Play some sweeps / tones to see if you hear any distortion. If not, it's probably good enough. But for peace of mind you can spend ~$100 or less on a Topping or SMSL or JDS DAC and have peace of mind that no sound quality is being lost.

OP
V

vurt

I would just try it with the dock's 3.5mm out and see if you notice any problems. Play some sweeps / tones to see if you hear any distortion. If not, it's probably good enough. But for peace of mind you can spend ~$100 or less on a Topping or SMSL or JDS DAC and have peace of mind that no sound quality is being lost.

Thank you very much @kemmler3D ! I shall do that, baby steps.

Sorry I've never bought or used a desktop amp for speakers before. I'm now worried that the Fosi v3 only has RCA inputs. Will that be enough (in future)? Eg. if I want to add a streamer like Wiim to the setup—what would that be plugged into?

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
if I want to add a streamer like Wiim to the setup—what would that be plugged into?
Also the RCA inputs. Almost any analog consumer audio device will have RCA.

Generally the only other connection type home users need to worry about is XLR, which is usually used to carry a balanced signal. This can deliver higher output or lower noise, but as a rule of thumb RCA is almost as good, and plenty good enough for most situations. Usually more expensive DACs or amps will have both XLR and RCA.

OP
V

vurt

Also the RCA inputs. Almost any analog consumer audio device will have RCA.

Sorry, bear with me pls. I'm trying to imagine how they connect together.

I'll use a 3.5mm-RCA cable to connect the T4 dock to the Fosi, which has cables connected to speakers.

If I want to add something like a WiiM Mini, I see it's got 3.5mm aux in and out, and SPDIF. How would I insert the WiiM into this chain?

Top Bottom