• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec 8020D for MacBook M1 USB-C?

lex-ko

Hi everyone. I'm a total noob, I have done some reading on this subject but hesitate to make the decision myself because I simply feel like I don't know enough.

I have an opportunity to buy a pair of Genelec 8020D for $500, which to me seems like a good price(?), used but perfect working/cosmetic condition. I feel like that price gives me enough room so if I don't like them I can just sell them without a huge loss.

I'm looking for a way to connect these to the usb-c port on my MacBook in a way that won't negatively impact the performance of the speakers. I've been advised to use an audio interface so connect the macbook to the interface via usb and then use two 1/4" TRS to XLR cables to connect the speakers. I've been recommended these interfaces motu 2, volt 2, scarlet 2i2, I feel like these are "too much" for my simple needs as I'm not a musician/singer/mixer/dj even on a hobbyist level so I won't be recording anything.

I need help deciding what to do. Thanks in advance.

staticV3

Master Contributor
The least expensive Desktop DACs with differential Line out are the Topping D10 Balanced or SMSL M300 SE.

These have fully transparent output, so cannot possibly bottleneck your Genelecs.

Besides that, you may be able to use a Dongle DAC with 4.4mm Pentaconn output instead.
Examples are the Moondrop Dawn 4.4, Moondrop Dawn Pro, Truthear Shio.

These have identical output quality and output power as desktop DACs and you can connect them to the Genelecs with a 4.4mm to 2x XLR cable.

The only "gotcha" is that to safely use these dongles as Line out devices, the Pentaconn's Ground pin must be properly connected to USB Ground.

For use with headphones, this doesn't matter so some manufacturers may skip this step.

I don't know if the dongles above have properly connected GND, so you'd have to check that yourself (ask customer support, users online, or check it yourself using a multimeter).

Last edited:

staticV3

Master Contributor
Regarding audio interfaces, it's possible to find some with minimal input features (since you don't need those), but with balanced Line out and transparent sound quality.

I'd look into a Focusrite Scarlett Solo 3rd or 4th Gen.

OP
L

lex-ko

@staticV3 Thanks I really appreciate you taking time to educate me about my options. I have seen your other posts through the forum and you’re a real asset to this community.

OP
L

lex-ko

@staticV3 I need your help again. I got smsl m300 se but the popping issue is extremely annoying, I tried different sources and cables and nothing made a difference, firmware is also updated to 1.1. I already got the xlr cables so I was wondering if there was another dac with xlr out that you’d recommend with a price similar to m300 se?

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
You may even be fine with a 3.5mm to XLR cable and just use the MacBook headphone output.

As for popping sounds, can you describe them in more detail? Is it this issue:

OP
L

lex-ko

You may even be fine with a 3.5mm to XLR cable and just use the MacBook headphone output.

As for popping sounds, can you describe them in more detail? Is it this issue:

My popping issue is not related to system load. I read the review thread for m300 se and it looks like others are experiencing the exact same problem.

My understanding was that going from 3.5mm to XLR would have a negative impact on quality.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
My understanding was that going from 3.5mm to XLR would have a negative impact on quality.
Unlikely. The 3.5mm output has about 100 SINAD, which is already plenty.

OP
L

lex-ko

Genelec says that cable is fine to use with the 3.5 mm out on a MacBook.
SCR-20240209-iwsz.png

Top Bottom