• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Measurement and Review of JDS Labs USB OL DAC

flaviowolff

An answer could be found here, directly from manufacturer:
"All JDS Labs DACs are configured for adaptive USB mode. Jitter performance is equivalent when set to asynchronous mode in modern USB-to-I2S controllers, yet, asynch has introduced bugs in the past under some operating systems.".

Manufacturer has measured the jitter on the OL DAC with TOSLINK input and found that its value is -116dB, a very respectable one coming from a DAC with this price. Nevertheless, in the OL DAC – USB Edition they achieved a jitter value of -120dB: "We’re pleasantly surprised to report that removal of the I2S MUX bumps USB Jitter components @11025Hz from an already excellent -116dB to -120dB!" (source: https://blog.jdslabs.com/2017/11/announcing-ol-dac-usb-edition/).

Some details about async vs. adaptive transfer could be read here: https://thewelltemperedcomputer.com/KB/USB.html.

Thanks. I did read that, but nonetheless I wanted more unbiased statements than those from the manufacturer itself. Especially when amir's measurements more than often show different numbers than what is claimed by the manufacturers

EnDy_S

Hi guys,

I was wondering if this DAC is still worth buying in 2020 (I know a few people before me asked the same question, but it didn't really help me out)
To put it simply, is there any other DAC out there in this price range that is audibly better? I'm buying an atom AMP and the shipping costs so much in general that I'd rather buy both my future DAC and AMP from the same manufacturer, but I wouldn't want to give up any sound quality because of that.

Last edited:

Yuno

To put it simply, is there any other DAC out there at this price range that is audibly better
Audibly - no. As long as you are asking about objective (measurements based) opinion. Subjectivists may disagree.
There are options that are better than OL DAC in terms of functionality and measurements at the same price point, but if you don't need any of that and only care about audible spectrum then OL DAC is fine. And it's more reliable than for instance topping products.
You can also wait for Atom DAC which is apparently supposed to be a thing in the future.

EnDy_S

Oh, okay, that was very informative, thank you.
I'm really new to this stuff, since the debate is mainly subjective, may I take it then that DAC is the one least affecting sound quality out of the AMP, DAC and headphones?

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods
I'm really new to this stuff, since the debate is mainly subjective, may I take it then that DAC is the one least affecting sound quality out of the AMP, DAC and headphones?

Definitely yes!

Different headphones & speakers will always provide a different output sound. Also power amps & headamps might also change the sound flavor a bit (measurements can also tell this), while the audio source (DAC) will have little to tell in the output sound, at least comparing with how much headphones & speakers can alter the sound.

pevzi

Got OL DAC for use with Atom, and it's been fine so far. No clicking or dropouts when switching between tracks, acceptable latency, low enough noise floor, a dim green LED that doesn't burn your eyes out at night. My only nitpick is the need for another power socket, but I reckon it's a reasonable compromise to avoid USB-related power issues.

Last edited:

EnDy_S

It seems like they've cut the price of the USB+optical version, and it now costs the same as the usb-only, in preparation for the atom dac I assume. I didn't realise this before I ordered, and they were nice enough to send me the USB+optical regardless, I didn't even have to contact them.
Just to get the word out.

Top Bottom