• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Measurement and Review of JDS Labs USB OL DAC

Paianis

My impression is that this is the best performing DAC that works as a UAC1 device (?). This is important to me as my OS of choice, OpenBSD, has not implemented UAC2 support yet.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
My impression is that this is the best performing DAC that works as a UAC1 device (?). This is important to me as my OS of choice, OpenBSD, has not implemented UAC2 support yet.
I think that also the beringer stuff works as UAC1?

lc155

Hi,

Am I right in thinking that these measurements are basically 'better on paper'. That is, the ODAC has some jitter, but it is well beyond the human audible range?

I see no reason to grab an ol-dac unless you need the extra inputs if you're say, already going for an Objective2. That just makes two boxes when you could have one that perform identically in the real world.

Different story if you're looking at different dacs and amps though, yes?

Jimster480

Major Contributor
Hi,

Am I right in thinking that these measurements are basically 'better on paper'. That is, the ODAC has some jitter, but it is well beyond the human audible range?

I see no reason to grab an ol-dac unless you need the extra inputs if you're say, already going for an Objective2. That just makes two boxes when you could have one that perform identically in the real world.

Different story if you're looking at different dacs and amps though, yes?
It means that they are better in practice.
Paper is the claim, practice is the test :)

But yes if you are just planning on using one device you could get the ODAC + O2 combo.

lc155

Well yes, they're measurably better - but when you can't hear the difference does it truly matter is what I'm wondering haha. If you're just buying sure why not get the absolute measurable best if it works for your setup, I can see that logic.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
Well yes, they're measurably better - but when you can't hear the difference does it truly matter is what I'm wondering haha. If you're just buying sure why not get the absolute measurable best if it works for your setup, I can see that logic.
In theory no.
But in practice it might be possible to have worse performance in the field vs what is tested.
Although typically if the performance is well out of the audible range it's unlikely to ever be able to hear a difference even if you have worse performance than tested here.

gz-

hello, can somebody explain me how this compares overall to other dacs in the price range like the modi / kadas /etc in terms of sinad etc? is this a good buy still? (i have a lonely o2 without a dac) thanks!

edit (this older reviews are more harder to understand for a noob so hence the question)

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods
I still have the first version ODAC Rev. A which has about -125dB background noise, so worse than Rev. B and worse than OL DAC.
However, this old DAC still works fine and has better specs and lower noise than my way-older Luxman K-230 stereo cassette deck, which makes me happy. :)

Some differences between Rev. A and Rev. B here: https://blog.jdslabs.com/2015/05/releasing-odac-revb/.

Last edited:

Jimster480

Major Contributor
I still have the first version ODAC Rev. A which has about -125dB background noise, so worse than Rev. B and worse than OL DAC.
However, this old DAC still works fine and has better specs and lower noise than my way-older Luxman K-230 stereo cassette deck, which makes me happy. :)

Some differences between Rev. A and Rev. B here: https://blog.jdslabs.com/2015/05/releasing-odac-revb/.
ODAC is still a fine product today :)

aoaaron

OL DAC or D30? What are the major cons of doing OL DAC over D30?

I am getting an atom so would like it to match... but the D30 seems be better than this one in feature set?

matt3421

if you have the Optical version of the OL DAC would you mind testing its optical input?

flaviowolff

Should the lack of an Asynchronous USB controller on the OL DAC be an audible concern?

Jimster480

Major Contributor
Should the lack of an Asynchronous USB controller on the OL DAC be an audible concern?
Not really, but this DAC isn't so competitive for the price in what will be 2020 in a few days.
If you are getting a good deal then it's perfectly fine.

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods
An answer could be found here, directly from manufacturer:
"All JDS Labs DACs are configured for adaptive USB mode. Jitter performance is equivalent when set to asynchronous mode in modern USB-to-I2S controllers, yet, asynch has introduced bugs in the past under some operating systems.".

Manufacturer has measured the jitter on the OL DAC with TOSLINK input and found that its value is -116dB, a very respectable one coming from a DAC with this price. Nevertheless, in the OL DAC – USB Edition they achieved a jitter value of -120dB: "We’re pleasantly surprised to report that removal of the I2S MUX bumps USB Jitter components @11025Hz from an already excellent -116dB to -120dB!" (source: https://blog.jdslabs.com/2017/11/announcing-ol-dac-usb-edition/).

Some details about async vs. adaptive transfer could be read here: https://thewelltemperedcomputer.com/KB/USB.html.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
An answer could be found here, directly from manufacturer:
"All JDS Labs DACs are configured for adaptive USB mode. Jitter performance is equivalent when set to asynchronous mode in modern USB-to-I2S controllers, yet, asynch has introduced bugs in the past under some operating systems.".

Manufacturer has measured the jitter on the OL DAC with TOSLINK input and found that its value is -116dB, a very respectable one coming from a DAC with this price. Nevertheless, in the OL DAC – USB Edition they achieved a jitter value of -120dB: "We’re pleasantly surprised to report that removal of the I2S MUX bumps USB Jitter components @11025Hz from an already excellent -116dB to -120dB!" (source: https://blog.jdslabs.com/2017/11/announcing-ol-dac-usb-edition/).

Some details about async vs. adaptive transfer could be read here: https://thewelltemperedcomputer.com/KB/USB.html.
Jitter is only one aspect of music reproduction. But this is still a very competent DAC. Its just outclassed by some newer offerings especially with how heated the audio scene has become in the last year or so with ASR :)

Top Bottom