• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Matrix Audio X-SABRE 3 Measurements (DAC & Streamer)

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company

xaxxon

35CA70B5-0204-4046-887E-E2DD56479EEF.jpeg

It’s been a long time already. And just like 25% done. Wired connection and high speed internet.

Laptop on the same switch showing 700mbps speed test.

Weird

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
View attachment 241927
It’s been a long time already. And just like 25% done. Wired connection and high speed internet.

Laptop on the same switch showing 700mbps speed test.

Weird
You can stop the firmware update during this part. It won’t brick the unit if you stop it during download part. However, you can’t during the firmware install as that would brick the unit.

xaxxon

You can stop the firmware update during this part. It won’t brick the unit if you stop it during download part. However, you can’t during the firmware install as that would brick the unit.
Yeah just stopped it to verify it wasn’t somehow on Wi-Fi. It picked up right where it left off. But still very slow on the download.

Oh well I’m not in a rush -

edit: once the download finished the actual update did take about 5 minutes.

Last edited:

xaxxon

Yes, that is correct. Now you can surf your own DLNA library stored in your NAS and stream from the MA Remote app directly or enabling TIDAL and Qubuz in the MA Remote app. You can also adjust the X-SABRE 3 settings directly from the MA Remote app.
I didn't know how to set up dlna and found this to be a good reference on doing it in windows:

Then you just right click on a folder and say "add to library" or whatever. Super easy to set up.

That's it. x-matrix 3 now picks it up perfectly. Wow, this thing just got a lot closer to having a value of what I paid for it :p

Last edited:

Goodfellas27

Remember to change your Tidal streaming quality to Master or hi-fi under your account in the MA app. It defaults to "normal" which is compress audio

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Remember to change your Tidal streaming quality to Master or hi-fi under your account in the MA app. It defaults to "normal" which is compress audio
Thanks for the tip. It was hard to find the streaming quality setting as it's hidden at the end of the "Streaming" section for TIDAL and Qobuz accounts.

Damned

Great work. In the more subjective department, did you hear any differences while using it with your Buchardt comparing to your Matrix Mini ?

Subsidiary question. Was this test purpose just a measurement work or did you want - indeed - to see if it could improve the Buchardt somehow ?

OP
VintageFlanker

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Was this test purpose just a measurement work or did you want - indeed - to see if it could improve the Buchardt somehow ?
100% measurements work, as stated. I never planned to buy one. "Improving" the Buchardt seems out of context, chasing a better measuring DAC when the latter will finish into an ADC anyway.

did you hear any differences while using it with your Buchardt comparing to your Matrix Mini ?
Most likely: a bit louder, which is to be expected considering higher Voltage at same volume level. Appart from that, sound was simply excellent, as it has always been the case with my other Matrix.

Damned

100% measurements work, as stated. I never planned to buy one. "Improving" the Buchardt seems out of context, chasing a better measuring DAC when the latter will finish into an ADC anyway.

Most likely: a bit louder, which is to be expected considering higher Voltage at same volume level. Appart from that, sound was simply excellent, as it has always been the case with my other Matrix.
That's what I thought but I needed to know for sure. That is really the only downside of those great active speakers, no room at all for changes/improvement

don'ttrustauthority

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Why should those spikes at -139 db "ideally not be there"?

How do the spikes degrade the audio?

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
That firmware is old already. I'm running 1.0.4 Build003 ;)

Top Bottom