• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Matrix Audio X-SABRE 3 Measurements (DAC & Streamer)

RandomEar

Should we expect OLED at this price, in this niche market? I don't know, but overall brightness, contrasts and viewing angle are all decent for an audio product.​
I'm repeating myself somewhat, but I don't like OLED displays on high-end hardware. At least not for always-on displays: They essentially become a consumable. You will get burn-in within a year or two and that's really not what I'm looking for when spending big bucks on anything. Therefore, I'd consider it a plus that Matrix is using IPS in this instance.

Also, thumbs up for the review!

OP
VintageFlanker

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
i don't like these "promotional" photos in dual color side lighted setup...
Well, I'm sorry you don't, because this aesthetic code is gonna stay.;)

Besides,
it is really hard to make out what the actual device look like
it is not the purpose of my reviews at all. You can Google the product, or just use the links in the review itself. My publications are widely measurements-focused, then please consider my (very strongly themed) pictures as an entertainment bonus.;)

but I don't like OLED displays on high-end hardware. At least not for always-on displays
I am not sure it is an always-on display. Maybe I'm wrong, but I believe it remains on for about one minute after any operation. I did not explore settings about that.

Last edited:

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
There is an Auto Dimming function that you can program from 15secs to 1min. After that the screen goes dim and only the LED screen is lighted up. There is no option to turn the LED screen off. Also, like @VintageFlanker mentioned, the screen is an IPS screen, no OLED so there is no risk of burn in.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Very nice, but well out of my price range for such a device.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Excellent!
There really is no need for a 'poll' on this X-SABRE3, since the results speak for themselves.

*Shame it lacks analog inputs. Can the XLR + RCA outputs be enabled at the same time?
*In the graphs of THD+N (Figures 1 and 2); the odd harmonics seem to be getting (FM) modulated (@-20dB sidebands) by another signal (50Hz MAINS?).
Although at very low levels, I had not observed this in any other ASR review.:oops:
*Are my eyes deceiving me in the DynamicRange graph; where I see only a 96dB range (not in the ~120dB range, as measured)
*The 6th figure of THD + N (-3dB FS) shows 2 other ~1kHz signal (@-96 and -110db): What are those?

I now realize why @amirm can't afford to do such detailed testing: Someone had to pay for his AP! :facepalm:

Haruko

Well, I'm sorry you don't, because this aesthetic code is gonna stay.;)
If we are talking about aesthetics wonder why Technology companies (Apple, Samsung etc) are using white background, well lit photos of products... maybe you should teach them thing or two

maybe this is yours code, i understand however it looks shady as if you are trying to hide some details of device

you said yourself this is mostly about measurements why post photos with 0 informational value

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Excellent!
There really is no need for a 'poll' on this X-SABRE3, since the results speak for themselves.

*Shame it lacks analog inputs. Can the XLR + RCA outputs be enabled at the same time?
*In the graphs of THD+N (Figures 1 and 2); the odd harmonics seem to be getting (FM) modulated (@-20dB sidebands) by another signal (50Hz MAINS?).
Although at very low levels, I had not observed this in any other ASR review.:oops:
*Are my eyes deceiving me in the DynamicRange graph; where I see only a 96dB range (not in the ~120dB range, as measured)
*The 6th figure of THD + N (-3dB FS) shows 2 other ~1kHz signal (@-96 and -110db): What are those?

I now realize why @amirm can't afford to do such detailed testing: Someone had to pay for his AP! :facepalm:
Both XLR and RCA outs are active all the time.

dtaylo1066

Addicted to Fun and Learning
One would have to contemplete why to pay anymore for a DAC, though the Matrix is far above my DAC price range by close to 2K.

The other thing it represents is Chinese direct-to-consumer brands continuing to move into the mid-price and upper-price categories. Clearly they dominate the lower price categories of DACs, and now continually put out more $500 to $2,500 offerings of impeccable measurements and manifold features.

Overall, without wanting to get political, this business model is not good for free-world consumer electronics companies.

OP
VintageFlanker

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Can the XLR + RCA outputs be enabled at the same time?
As most modern DACs, yes.
Although at very low levels, I had not observed this in any other ASR review
Interesting theory. I also had 50Hz mains in other reviews (Common in my environment, especially when running SE) that did not result in harmonics that odd...
The DR test for RMAA is not compensated on the graph. Please also note two things: 125dB is anyway the limit of my (Grade B) Cosmos ADC, when running in Stereo Mode. Second, I also measured DR in REW with the Cosmos APU (-60dBFS tone, +60dB preamp) and got almost 130dB DR in Mono Mode. Manufactures claims "134dB" SNR, by the way.
Lack of resolution/timing issues in RMAA. Don't bother.;)

I try to evaluate how I can make the transition to some "all REW" measurements in the near future, but I would have to buy the Pro version to do so, needed to get RTA in stereo. RMAA still has the advantage of measuring both channels simultaneously for now.

If we are talking about aesthetics wonder why Technology companies (Apple, Samsung etc) are using white background, well lit photos of products... maybe you should teach them thing or two
obama-wtf.gif

why post photos with 0 informational value
Not to please you, that's for sure... :facepalm:

Last edited:

Kuba

As most modern DACs, yes.

Interesting theory. I also had 50Hz mains in other reviews (Common in my environment, especially when running SE) that did not result in harmonics that odd...

The DR test for RMAA is not compensated on the graph. Please also note two things: 125dB is anyway the limit of my (Grade B) Cosmos ADC, when running in Stereo Mode. Second, I also measured DR in REW with the Cosmos APU (-60dBFS tone, +60dB preamp) and got almost 130dB DR in Mono Mode. Manufactures claims "134dB" SNR, by the way.

Lack of resolution/timing issues in RMAA. Don't bother.;)

I try to evaluate how I can make the transition to some "all REW" measurements in the near future, but I would have to buy the Pro version to do so, needed and get RTA in stereo. RMAA still has the advantage of measuring both channels simultaneously.

obama-wtf.gif

Not to please you, that's for sure... :facepalm:
Keep the aesthetic, pictures are great, nitpickers gonna nitpick anyway.

Sokel

Master Contributor
France,right?
Do never ever forget to check the plug polarity as it can put both ways,the differences in mains noise are huge (some 20-30db sometimes).

Check IEC's first to be like this:

1665176603036.png

and then measure both ways if you see something strange.

We know from another thread that the cable that came with a Topping was reversed even in US which you only have one way to plug.
Try and you will see.

OP
VintageFlanker

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Keep the aesthetic, pictures are great, nitpickers gonna nitpick anyway.
There is the data that any can argue about. I used to take good advices since there's always room for improvements (for example, @Rja4000 nitpicked me in a good way, making very good suggestions for REW measurements).

For the rest... I barely see how I would have to justify any of my choices when I'm providing hours of (free) work to the community.

Do never ever forget to check the plug polarity as it can put both ways,the differences in mains noise are huge (some 20-30db sometimes).
Sure, I'm aware of it, as you imagine.;) No doubt it would be an interesting topic for further measurements, who knows: "Influence of plug polarity on DACs" or something.

Some manufacturers do have Hot and Neutral reversed on the male IEC (Nuprime, for instance, probably others). So I agree with you: better check by measurements if everything is right.

TimF

Forum Donor
21st century consumer electronics capabilities.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Teriffic review! I don't know if the photos were stock or you handiwork, but they are superb.

Nice to see one of these premium priced products is also performant. It is a cool looking piece of gear which may justify its large tariff with some would be buyers.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
nitpicked ... For the rest...
I hope my questions were not perceived as residual nitpick noise... not even below -150dB noise floor.;)
I am wondering how much you can gather from a crowd-funding effort to purchase yourself an AP rig!

Sokel

Master Contributor
Sure, I'm aware of it, as you imagine.;) No doubt it would be an interesting topic for further measurements, who knows: "Influence of plug polarity on DACs" or something.

Some manufacturers do have Hot and Neutral reversed on the male IEC (Nuprime, for instance, probably others). So I agree with you: better check by measurements if everything is right.
Of course I know you know!
Post mostly went to friends who never check even though it makes a LOT of difference.
Thread would be a good idea,go on and I'll follow with measurements (and others,I'm sure) in time be.

Top Bottom