• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

MartinLogan Remakes Motion Series Speakers

OP
MarcT

MarcT

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I think you are spot on about some of the realism these speakers can portray. Pianos, Xylophones, rimshots..truly sounded pretty amazing. I can understand why you and others love these speakers. Based on the time I spent with them I would totally recommend anyone that is looking for new speakers in that price range to give them a try. If slightly hot is your sound these have a Wow factor going on..but then I don't believe your impression would be "slightly hot" but more along the lines of just right.

The good people of this forum may be waiting for more data, measurements, or user feedback before trying them out. Usually I am more patient when a new speaker comes to market.

I ended up going with the full range R700 for about $300 more. Not as exciting and extended as the Logan's but gets the job done for me and my taste. I'll be keeping them. I didn't bother trying the Logan floor standers due to their much larger price.
Yes, when I've heard the F200/F100, it's the power of acoustic instruments that really caught my attention. It seems rare to me to hear such realistic power in non-horn speakers in this price range.

geox

so i was watching a Kef R3 meta review, this comment around Martin Logans B100 being "magical" was interesting. paging @Punter16 for more detail or measurements.

Last edited:

OldManMatt

so i was watching a Kef R3 meta review, this comment around Martin Logans B100 being "magical" was interesting. paging @Punter16 for more detail or measurements.

Yeah I would agree that the tweeter seemed to produce some very realistic sounds and imaging. I had some other complaints about them but after returning them I was able to get another mic and I'm starting to realize my placement and room was probably having a larger effect on these sealed speakers than I initially realized. I have a video of when I was breaking in and trying to punish these Logan's, I'll see if I can post it. It's not really music and it is a phone recording but you can kinda hear the clarity and detail of the tweeter.

Punter16

Punter here! IMO they do a great job at portraying things that aren't there. For me, the mark of a great speaker is when you close your eyes and you have instruments sound like they are in front of you. I appreciate imaging where you hear the singer's voice dead center (but there is no speaker there...it's two channel!). These did a wonderful job of this. We did another review on the B100s before the KEF one where we go into some more detail on exactly what we heard. One of our guys/reviewers started laughing at one point during "Take Five" because the clarinet sounded so real.

They're good!

geox

Punter here! IMO they do a great job at portraying things that aren't there. For me, the mark of a great speaker is when you close your eyes and you have instruments sound like they are in front of you. I appreciate imaging where you hear the singer's voice dead center (but there is no speaker there...it's two channel!). These did a wonderful job of this. We did another review on the B100s before the KEF one where we go into some more detail on exactly what we heard. One of our guys/reviewers started laughing at one point during "Take Five" because the clarinet sounded so real.

They're good!
just saw the video.. interesting point around centering.. also, bodes well for phantom center in HT scenario

geox

Erins review is out for paetrons for rest of us next week or so. its not looking good

SnakeOil

How so? In what way are his measurements not reliable?
Well the same speakers were reviewed here on this site and got an opposite conclusion. Both reviews used measurements. So i would ask you In what way are his measurements reliable?

Brian6751

I think Amir did a good job explaining how different interpretations of the trend line can effect how the speaker is EQed and therefore how it can sound different subjectively

Beave

Major Contributor
Well the same speakers were reviewed here on this site and got an opposite conclusion. Both reviews used measurements. So i would ask you In what way are his measurements reliable?

What, specifically, is the "opposite conclusion" from the measurements here compared to the measurements from Erin?

SnakeOil

What, specifically, is the "opposite conclusion" from the measurements here compared to the measurements from Erin?
Do you need link to both reviews so you can read them for yourself? After you read them both. Try and think for yourself. Maybe you can come up with your own conclusion. Maybe

Top Bottom