• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

MartinLogan Remakes Motion Series Speakers

MarcT

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I wonder if these will measure any better than the current Motion speakers? IIRC, I saw some not so impressive measurements posted somewhere.

020723_martinlogan_motion%20series_group.png

OP
MarcT

MarcT

Forum Donor
New subjective review. I'd be interested to hear them and see some good measurements.

OP
MarcT

MarcT

Forum Donor
Starting at the 4 minute mark he does show a frequency response graph.
I know, but I didn't think that one measurement would count for anything about here!:D But that measurement does look pretty good. His reviews are really well done and when he compares a review speaker with other speakers, he references the measurements of the other speakers.

warpdrive

Is that a waveguide for the tweeter? Maybe these will perform better than the previous gen (I had their bookshelf and it was pretty bad....very uneven)

OP
MarcT

MarcT

Forum Donor
Is that a waveguide for the tweeter? Maybe these will perform better than the previous gen (I had their bookshelf and it was pretty bad....very uneven)
Yes, they call it their Folded Motion Waveguide.

"After an extensive evaluation of nearly 50 design options, the Folded Motion® Waveguide profile was meticulously chosen to harmoniously align the tweeters output with the dispersion of the midrange drivers, enhancing the performance of our already incredible Gen2 Folded Motion® Tweeters. The Folded Motion® Waveguide helps blanket the listening area with evenly distributed detail and precision, ensuring an optimal experience for everyone. The waveguide also enhances the Controlled Dispersion output of the tweeter, offering generous coverage while minimizing unwanted room reflections."

egellings

Major Contributor
I thought Mattin Logan made only ESL and hybrid ESL-dynamic designs.

OP
MarcT

MarcT

Forum Donor
I thought Mattin Logan made only ESL and hybrid ESL-dynamic designs.
They've been making this Motion series for quite some time now.

Dougey_Jones

Forum Donor
I like the new look a lot, would love to read Amir's review of any of these just to see how successful the waveguide is.

OP
MarcT

MarcT

Forum Donor
I just stopped by the local dealer listed on ML's website. He doesn't carry them, but can get them and offer some help on the cost.

Penelinfi

I wonder how these f100 f200 would compare to the monitor audio gold 200 300 5g towers.
Seems sort of similar in a way, but they use larger mid tweeter and also larger spacing between drivers. I'm guessing the waveguide is needed to be bigger (than MA) because of this, and also the vertical dispersion will be slightly narrower due to the longer AMT.

Apparently they've been designed using an anechoic chamber and subjective listening tests. Then again, I'm guessing most decent speakers are designed with such tests

OP
MarcT

MarcT

Forum Donor
I wonder how these f100 f200 would compare to the monitor audio gold 200 300 5g towers.
Seems sort of similar in a way, but they use larger mid tweeter and also larger spacing between drivers. I'm guessing the waveguide is needed to be bigger (than MA) because of this, and also the vertical dispersion will be slightly narrower due to the longer AMT.

Apparently they've been designed using an anechoic chamber and subjective listening tests. Then again, I'm guessing most decent speakers are designed with such tests
Well, considering the prices of the Gold 200 and 300, if the F100 and F200 measure well and sound as good or better to you, they will be screaming bargains.

Punter16

The ML Motion series speakers have had focused dispersion for a while from their tweeter (but with no waveguide). We're looking forward to checking out the new models but we loved the old ones. See below for our thoughts.

Penelinfi

Well, considering the prices of the Gold 200 and 300, if the F100 and F200 measure well and sound as good or better to you, they will be screaming bargains.
I think they turn out to be the same price overall as ML lists prices per speaker afaik

OP
MarcT

MarcT

Forum Donor
I think they turn out to be the same price overall as ML lists prices per speaker afaik
In the US, the F100 is $4500 for a pair, while the Monitor Audio Gold 200 is $6700 per pair. The F200 is $5500 per pair, while the MA Gold 300 is $9500 per pair.

Penelinfi

In the US, the F100 is $4500 for a pair, while the Monitor Audio Gold 200 is $6700 per pair. The F200 is $5500 per pair, while the MA Gold 300 is $9500 per pair.
Interesting, in Aus, you can get the monitor audio 200/300 speakers for less than those prices, and in Australian dollars to boot :)
Remains to be seen how much those ML will cost down here

norman bates

Forum Donor
I like waveguide around the ribbon in post 1 versus post 13.

"The company has also redesigned the horn-like waveguide attached to the Folded Motion Tweeter, settling on the final version only after evaluating almost 50 design iterations with the goal of enhancing the consistency, dispersion, and output of the tweeter. The new waveguide is designed to ensure consistent performance across a wide range of listening positions while minimizing unwanted room reflections, according to MartinLogan. Waveguide-enhanced tweeter dispersion for the Motion Series is spec’d at 90° x 90° and 45° x 90° for the Motion XT Series."

That's a lot of R&D expense that will be passed on to the customers.

I'd like to see more of a smooth waveguide round over, but maybe the dispersion if the ribbon doesn't reflect badly where the waveguide breaks to the front baffle.

No way that tweeter does +/- 45 degrees vertical degree dispersion.

The xt b100 (6.5" 2-way) looks interesting at $800 each.

I don't see any mention of shorting rings, copper cap, just the basically fiberglass slurry cone..........

I'm sure we'll rip it apart having resonances coming out of the port or not enough stuffing, etc.
Especially compared to an emotiva b1+ or the less liked b2+.

Hopefully it is a good woofer/mid.
I'd read an opinion where he kept the polk r200 over the emotiva, mainly because, eventhough the tweeter in the emotiva was nice, the woofer is meh.

Last edited:
OP
MarcT

MarcT

Forum Donor
Well... the stated sensitivity of 93 dB seems very suspicious :)
Yes, it does, even for the pretty large F200k tower. I think they are going to review at least one of the models over at Audioholics. I will say, however, Focal rates some similarly sized towers at around 92 dB. But I would be pretty happy if it tests out above 90 dB.

DJ48

I have the three 35XTs (from 2017) as my front speakers. I have a front projection set-up and they are mounted beneath the screen.

I've been very happy with them. Without hearing them, are the XT B100s likely to be more of an incremental improvement versus something more substantial? Not sure if this is a worthwhile upgrade for me.

Top Bottom