• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Marchaudio P501 Mono Block Power Amplifier Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sokel

Master Contributor
I think it should be borne in mind that Amir brought this up, but from whatvI xan see ge has no actual consistent methodology to instruct thin blue with.
It is consistent,it point's the knee of the graph and that's ok,it's been a thread about it.
The argue is if thin blue deliberately tried to deceive us.I don't think so,he even tried to present it Wolf and Amir style in the 1Khz SINAD graph.

Power chart on the other hand was present as a comparison to the company's specs.
Amir pointed that out and Thin blue enthusiastically agreed to follow from now on.
That's the story.

JasonWells

It is consistent,it point's the knee of the graph and that's ok,it's been a thread about it.
The argue is if thin blue deliberately tried to deceive us.I don't think so,he even tried to present it Wolf and Amir style in the 1Khz SINAD graph.

Power chart on the other hand was present as a comparison to the company's specs.
Amir pointed that out and Thin blue enthusiastically agreed to follow from now on.
That's the story.
The reading of the knee point by Amir is a subjective judgement. the actual thd level us different in every test. I showed this above with his measurement points varying from 0.001% to 0.85%. amir was complaining about thin blue using 1% as a level to rate power. well, if not 1% then what? 0.001%? 0.85%?

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes it was. it was commenting on the graphs above. He then shows the boxem graph and says you can compare the results.
So you argued for the sake of arguing and you admit that your argument "it was not comparing the two amps" was actually false. I have a feeling that you have an agenda and I will not be part of it. I will stop responding to you.

JasonWells

It varies as knee points vary,it's faithful if you see the pattern.
What pattern? it's different on every test. if you want to compare onexamp to another you must do it at the same thd level. Anyway I'm off to watch the soccer :)

JasonWells

See it the other way.
If the point was fixed at 100 SINAD for example there would be (a lot) of amps having no power at all!
Quite, that's why amir let it slip to 0.85% for that tube amp. thin blue then gets criticised for 1%.

This is the point @pma was making. having an arbitrary and extremely level, and variable thd level to rate power at doesn't make sense.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
To make sure that my point is understood correctly allow me to repeat: I criticise the reviewer for making misleading comparison between two extremely similar amplifiers.

Writing "4 Vrms input produces Near 1 kW @ 1% ( 0.971 kW @ 1.048% )" then on the next line following with "...directly compare this to another Purifi 1ET7040SA based amplifier..." where a chart of that amplifier shows Max Power = 294 watts is misleading.

That is my point.

PeteL

Major Contributor
The reading of the knee point by Amir is a subjective judgement. the actual thd level us different in every test. I showed this above with measurement points varying from 0.001% to 0.85%.
It's an arbitrary decision but not a subjective one. I would personally prefer "Max Power at rated THD" than "Max power at best case THD+N" but whatever if you specify a fix THD metric or a variable one based on what is the linear specification of the measured amp, neither is fundamentally incorrect, what is creating this debate is that there is no real firm enforced standards. It's not Amir's fault, it's not the manufacturers fault, it's not third party reviewer's fault. Where I am more critical is when ASR present itself as being right and anybody else being wrong. Again, It's OK to say: It's how we rate max power here and we want consistency. It's Amir website and it's his prerogative. But with the absence of consistency, at the very least we want clarity. Thin Blue Line is clear on the number he gives us, Purifi as well. Other manufacturers, not so much. Those are the one we want to be critical about and expose their deceptive claims. Lately Amir himself stated in a review thread for a cheap Fosi amp that it was the norm for low cost amps to inflate their power spec, that if they wouldn't they would not be competitive, that he was ok with this and gave full recommendation. See that's more problematic and that's what can stir debate. I much prefer that a review can expose that a product can or can't do what it says it does, like what is being done here, than something in the realm of. "Don't worry about what the spec sheet say, only our measurments have validity anyway". I am exagerating a bit but it's this idea that is put forward. I want to be able to read a spec sheet that mean something, that's what matters. Publish the testing conditions, that's what matter, not my way is the right way, your's is deceptive. What is deceptive is when we have no idea and we should push manufaturers for clarity.

Last edited:

PeteL

Major Contributor
To make sure that my point is understood correctly allow me to repeat: I criticise the reviewer for making misleading comparison between two extremely similar amplifiers.

Writing "4 Vrms input produces Near 1 kW @ 1% ( 0.971 kW @ 1.048% )" then on the next line following with "...directly compare this to another Purifi 1ET7040SA based amplifier..." where a chart of that amplifier shows Max Power = 294 watts is misleading.

That is my point.
I agree he should not have gone that route, technical reviewers do have this tendency to falsely assume their readership are able to analyse a graph. Even more so assuming that their readership can convert ratio to dB. I don't think there is any misleading intentions there, just being overly optimistic of the readership understanding.

Last edited:

JasonWells

It's an arbitrary decision but not a subjective one. I would personally prefer "Max Power at rated THD" than "Max power at best case THD+N" but whatever if you specify a fix THD metric or a variable one based on what is the linear specification of the measured amp, neither is fundamentally incorrect, what is creating this debate is that there is no real firm enforced standards. It's not Amir's fault, it's not the manufacturers fault, it's not third party reviewer's fault. Where I am more critical is when ASR present itself as being right and anybody else being wrong. Again, It's OK to say: It's how we rate max power here and we want consistency. It's Amir website and it's his prerogative. But with the absence of consistency, at the very least we want clarity. Thin Blue Line is clear on the number he gives us, Purifi as well. Other manufacturers, not so much. Those are the one we want to be critical about and expose their deceptive claims. Lately Amir himself stated in a review thread for a cheap Fosi amp that it was the norm for low cost amps to inflate their power spec, that if they wouldn't they would not be competitive, that he was ok with this and gave full recommendation. See that's more problematic and that's what can stir debate. I much prefer that a review can expose that a product can or can't do what it says it does, like what is being done here, than something in the realm of. "Don't worry about what the spec sheet say, only our measurments have validity anyway". I am exagerating a bit but it's this idea that is put forward. I want to be able to read a spec sheet that mean something, that's what matters. Publish the testing conditions, that's what matter, not my way is the right way, your's is deceptive. What is deceptive is when we have no idea and we should push manufaturers for clarity.
I'm not going to have an argument on semantics, but my view is the point Amir chooses is a personal opinion that as you say is arbitrary and it's formed without specific consistent parameters. it is just Amirs opinion where it should be. Thus subjective
Yes I agree manufacturers should be clear

OP
thin bLue

thin bLue

Reviewer
I have good news!

Marchaudio P501 FR TRS APx525B loop back 22.4k 4 ohms 5 w.PNG
I figured out why this behavior happened.
It was characteristics of one high pass filter. FR will be flattened next measurement.

And Bad news.

Marchaudio P501 Power sweep 4 ohms 1% %.PNG
Marchaudio P501 Power sweep 4 ohms 1% dB.PNG

4 Ohm 1% and bonus

Marchaudio P501 Power sweep 4 ohms 0.1% % try.PNG
Marchaudio P501 Power sweep 4 ohms 0.1% dB try.PNG

4 Ohm Possible nearest cursor locations for 0.1%

Marchaudio P501 Power sweep 4 ohms -98.893 dB 293.7 W % As Near As Possible.PNG
Marchaudio P501 Power sweep 4 ohms -98.893 dB 293.7 W dB As Near As Possible.PNG

4 Ohm about 294 W point = -104.7 dB , -98.8 dB(closest point for -98.893) = 348 W

BoXem Arthur 4222E1 Monoblock Amplifier Power into 4 ohm Measurement.png

I'm under situation. So only this 4 Ohm sweep was best possible data I can get today.
Next measurement will take longtime..

When I get back to access to analyzer I'll do some more.
To be clear, I didn't declare maximum or possible peak for amp. I commented just about Input and output, what value located at what point.

I said word "Near 1 kW of full power" at the end, but it means that it appears to conform to the datasheet. And I did not say that with description of measurements above "Conclusions".

No one have to fight for data. What we need is not fight, but the improving. Let's cooperate.

Last edited:

JasonWells

I agree he should not have gone that route, technical reviewers do have this tendency to falsely assume their readership are able to analyse a graph. Even more so assuming that their readership can convert ratio to dB. I don't think there is any misleading intentions there, just being overly optimistic of the readership understanding.
So is Amir being clear to less technically aware readers about the variable conditions he rates max power at? I know how to read the graphs and find the actual thd level, but many will just see the headline red text on the graph. do they realise this headline is not comparable to the previous or next review?

PeteL

Major Contributor
So is Amir being clear to less technically aware readers about the variable conditions he rates max power at? I know how to read the graphs and find the actual thd level, but many will just see the headline red text on the graph. do they realise this headline is not comparable to the previous or next review?
Yes, I include Amir in "technical reviewers".

amper42

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If an amp review will be posted on ASR it's helpful to determine power based on the same methods Amir is using. That's the best way to have easily comparable data. I like that Amir uses the point where THD begins to go vertical to determine amp power. This method offers a conservative model where readers can expect apple to apple comparisons.

Last edited:

JasonWells

If an amp review will be posted on ASR it's helpful to determine power based on the same methods Amir is using. That's the best way to have easily comparable data. I like that Amir uses the point where THD begins to go vertical to determine amp power. This method offers a consistent, conservative model where readers can expect similar THD throughout the power range.
That's the point though, it isn't consistent. it's a variable thd level. I have no problem with conservative. I also think 1% is too high, but I also think levels of 0.001% as an example, are completely inaudible, so don't represent a realistic view of an amplifiers max usable power. especially in the context of a speaker distorting at 1%.
We are never going to come to a concensus about what is the right level, hence I advocated 2 levels. 0.1% and 1%. As @Blumlein 88 already mentioned, the research shows 0.1% is the threshold of audibility with sine tones which is the worst case scenario. 1% is the max I think anyone can reasonably consider as usable with music. Its also the level which is widely used in the industry and the level Amir already uses for the burst test.

Last edited:
OP
thin bLue

thin bLue

Reviewer
If an amp review will be posted on ASR it's helpful to determine power based on the same methods Amir is using. That's the best way to have easily comparable data. I like that Amir uses the point where THD begins to go vertical to determine amp power. Thais method offers a consistent, conservative model where readers can expect similar THD throughout the power range.
To point 'the point where THD begins to go vertical to determine amp power' is not that easy and simple.
That's why so many members are hotly debating right now.

With loose resolution(lower counts of point) we can see significant One red hot inflection point.
But, more and more points we get, we got high resolution continuous curve, not the one extruded point. so defining certain point with meaningful consistency is really hard work.

4 ohm level sweep.PNG

Marchaudio P501 Power sweep 4 ohms -98.893 dB 293.7 W % As Near As Possible.PNG

32 vs 200 points with various ranges each.
It's complicated.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom