• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

March Audio Sointuva

pierre

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
@pierre can you double check?
Garbage in garbage out.

Data is not computed at 2.83w/1m and then SPL are in the 72dB which gives an incorrect sensitivity. That’s the first time I get data from Warvick? And they maybe have a different protocol.

I will see if I can get the data to be changed or if there are more data in the shared spreadsheet.

JohnnyNG

I’m in floorstander mode right now, but these would get serious consideration from me if I was in the market for stand mounted speakers. Well done.
As it happens I'm looking at the Philharmonic Audio BMR HT Towers in your sig but these have my eye as well! Very curious as to how they'd compare.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I did downsize from towers to bookshelves with the Sointuva AWG, and like the marketing says, it really does get as low and play as loud (or more!) than my previous speakers. It really is amazing. No subs needed for me.

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Hooray!!

Main page now shows:
1701202112437.png

Adding the item to cart, it now shows:
1701202141662.png

When you proceed to Checkout, it now shows:
1701202159546.png

Thanks to March Audio for making this welcome change. :)

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
The speaker I'm waiting for a review of first is...
Kef R6 Meta, which are CDN$5200/pair.
vs March Audio CDN$5486/pair + shipping (CDN$417) = CDN$5903 total (or 13% more than Kef R6 Meta's).

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The speaker I'm waiting for a review of first is...
Kef R6 Meta, which are CDN$5200/pair.
vs March Audio CDN$5486/pair + shipping (CDN$417) = CDN$5903 total (or 13% more than Kef R6 Meta's).
Well, there is this review. No surprises imo, yet another well designed speaker by KEF, along with the others. But way too high bass extension (-6 dB is only 71 Hz), so using them for stereo (vertical), sub(s) are mandatory. That adds to the cost comparison, as I think 99% of the listeners would not need sub(s) with the Sointuva AWG, IMO.

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
All good points.

But Nueye's measured -6db point (of 71hz) is not the same as LFX from spinorama.org, which is what I'm looking at.
March Audio AWG has LFX of 32hz, while Kef R3 Meta (reviewed by Erin) has LFX of 38hz.
I would assume Kef R6 Meta's will have LFX lower than 38hz, which means it might be on par with March Audio's.

Plus, I need to see compare distortion graphs.

Just for fun... here's 86db distortion graphs, for Kef R3 Meta vs March Audio AWG, scaled to match each other:
both.gif

Which is not that different.
I would expect Kef R6 Meta's to be better of course.

Kef R6 Meta's are still on top of my list.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
You can see the massive difference of in room bass extension here.

Last edited:

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Oh, that's what I forgot. For some reason, I assumed R6 Meta's were ported.

R3 Meta's are ported, while R6 Meta's are in a sealed box.

So, if we look at R6 Meta's LFX, which is provided by the spinorama by Kef themselves, it's 63hz, which explains this bass extension difference you showed above.

Penelinfi

Oh, that's what I forgot. For some reason, I assumed R6 Meta's were ported.

R3 Meta's are ported, while R6 Meta's are in a sealed box.

So, if we look at R6 Meta's LFX, which is provided by the spinorama by Kef themselves, it's 63hz, which explains this bass extension difference you showed above.
Don't the centre channels also have their own special dispersion optimiser for the horizontal use position?
I guess you could rotate the driver yourself :)

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Don't the centre channels also have their own special dispersion optimiser for the horizontal use position?
I guess you could rotate the driver yourself :)
You don’t need to. Kef speakers have coaxial drivers. Their horizontal and vertical dispersion are similar.

Kef R3 Meta, for example, have +/- 50 degree dispersion for both horizontal and vertical (between 1kHz and 10kHz. Angle computed for +/-6dB.)

Last edited:

Penelinfi

You don’t need to. Kef speakers have coaxial drivers. Their horizontal and vertical dispersion are similar.

Kef R3 Meta, for example, have +/- 50 degree dispersion for both horizontal and vertical (between 1kHz and 10kHz. Angle computed for +/-6dB.)
I recall something once having a specific lens , maybe it wasn't kef . But maybe coaxial. Not sure why

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
The website doesnt actually show the back of the speaker....strange!
This is the only image on the website, which shows only 1 passive radiator:
Sointuva-AWG-TAS-Oak2-600x450.webp

but there are 2 passive radiators on the back of the newly released AWG speaker, right?

If I remember correctly, the original WG had dual woofers on the back:
index.php

I wonder why the website doesnt show this?

So because of the passive radiators, would you call this a 2.5-way bookshelf then?
It's not exactly a 2-way.

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
The radiators are passive and do the same job as ports (as in a bass reflex port), so still a 2-way.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Go a few pages back and I have posted all pictures Alan sent me from mine. It's just not on the website.

And yes, there are 2 passive radiators on the back.

Top Bottom