• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

March Audio Sointuva Speaker

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
March Audio

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
At the risk of coming across like a philistine, have you considered using grills? It’s obviously a subjective taste thing but I don’t like looking at drivers usually, and the purifi ones are no oil paintings, at least to my eyes.
Grills are a bad idea from an acoustic POV, just causes diffraction. So not planning them as standard.

However if its something a customer wants we can certainly manufacture some.

OP
March Audio

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
Agreed.

I don’t know how a typical grille would fit on this speaker though. More expensive (I assume), but a plastic grille just on the woofer like my Wharfedale’s use would likely be a deciding factor for some that just hate the look of the Purifi’s surround:
513wharf.promo_.jpg

It’s not magnetic, put fits into the screws.
Grills are a challenge with these drivers due to the surround design and massive excursion.

Once you see them in action the surrounds are fascinating to watch ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: 617

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Grills are a challenge with these drivers due to the surround design and massive excursion.

Once you see them in action the surrounds are fascinating to watch ;)

They do almost come alive when playing, so I see what you mean. I suppose a blind fold would be a pragmatic and cheap solution.

I’m sure that I can find an audiophile company to sell me a cheap bit of suitable fabric for a couple of hundred pounds.

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
They do almost come alive when playing, so I see what you mean. I suppose a blind fold would be a pragmatic and cheap solution.

I’m sure that I can find an audiophile company to sell me a cheap bit of suitable fabric for a couple of hundred pounds.

Mind you, I’m saving my money for the March audio phono preamp. Do you see what I did then Alan, subtle eh? ;)

ctrl

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It seems like a good design, the measurements are great, seems well thought out.
Okay, to be fair to the other manufacturers discussed here in the forum, one should realistically evaluate the measured values.

The distortion measurements are really excellent (especially in the low bass range) if the problem is eliminated around 350Hz.

The cabinet design is a classic 2-way concept with the woofer and tweeter showing very different directivity characteristics.
The tweeter has an extremely wide dispersion due to its construction and dome properties.
The 6.5'' woofer, on the other hand, shows clear directionality in the radiation (in combination with the cabinet) already from 800Hz.

This leads to a somewhat uneven radiation pattern of the loudspeaker. The crossover compensates the uneven radiation pattern only slightly, which is shown in the measurements:
1606859416878.png

The dip in PIR, PR,... in the frequency range 0.8-1.8kHz is of course partly caused by the crossover (if the crossover frequency is around 1.3kHz as mentioned) and can never be avoided completely (with a classic 2-way concept), and in this case overlaps with the already narrow radiating woofer (in comparison to the tweeter).

The extremely wide radiation of the tweeter (in combination with the loudspeaker baffle) then shows up in the widening of the radiation in the frequency range 2-5kHz (see DI), but which is partially compensated in the range of 3-5kHz by a dip in the axis frequency response.

Guess that the loudspeaker can be easily adjusted via EQ due to the good chassis quality and even radiation of the individual drivers (this can finally be estimated when the normalized hor and ver FR are available).

OP
March Audio

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
Okay, to be fair to the other manufacturers discussed here in the forum, one should realistically evaluate the measured values.

The distortion measurements are really excellent (especially in the low bass range) if the problem is eliminated around 350Hz.

The cabinet design is a classic 2-way concept with the woofer and tweeter showing very different directivity characteristics.
The tweeter has an extremely wide dispersion due to its construction and dome properties.
The 6.5'' woofer, on the other hand, shows clear directionality in the radiation (in combination with the cabinet) already from 800Hz.

This leads to a somewhat uneven radiation pattern of the loudspeaker. The crossover compensates the uneven radiation pattern only slightly, which is shown in the measurements:
View attachment 96802
The dip in PIR, PR,... in the frequency range 0.8-1.8kHz is of course partly caused by the crossover (if the crossover frequency is around 1.3kHz as mentioned) and can never be avoided completely (with a classic 2-way concept), and in this case overlaps with the already narrow radiating woofer (in comparison to the tweeter).

The extremely wide radiation of the tweeter (in combination with the loudspeaker baffle) then shows up in the widening of the radiation in the frequency range 2-5kHz (see DI), but which is partially compensated in the range of 3-5kHz by a dip in the axis frequency response.

Guess that the loudspeaker can be easily adjusted via EQ due to the good chassis quality and even radiation of the individual drivers (this can finally be estimated when the normalized hor and ver FR are available).
Yes agree with the comments, as already mentioned its not perfect, but as you previously said yourself, it doesn't need to be ;).

The deviations are actually fairly small. Its not having any significant subjective effect in the testing performed so far. Plus the fact that I will no doubt make a few more subtle xo tweaks ;)

Speaker design is always a compromise, the trick is to make the compromises that have the least negative subjective effect.

The speakers will be going out to a range of people for subjective evaluation and feedback

Last edited:

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

View attachment 96802

You are correct, but this is about as much as you can expect with baffle mounted radiators. Now, if we switched out the Bliesma for the wavecor or SB waveguide units we'd have something. Having said that, in the context of audiophile 2 way speakers, this is pretty good. Slight directivity issue without sharp discontinuities, a slight recess around the crossover region in the reverberant response.

I'm assuming these are c. second order crossovers, I'm not sure why you'd do anything steeper with these drivers.

jonm42

If they would let me into Oz, I'd be there in a heartbeat. I'm not sure if being from the US currently disqualifies me from entry to WA or not. Alan, could you put in a good word to help a mate out?

ctrl

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes agree with the comments, as already mentioned its not perfect, but as you said yourself, it doesn't need to be ;).
I just try to dampen the euphoria to a realistic level and to be equally critical of all manufacturers ;)

Yep, with a good crossover tuning a loudspeaker doesn't necessarily have to radiate optimally evenly to sound good. As @617 already said
Slight directivity issue without sharp discontinuities
are good conditions for it to work.

Speaker design is always a compromise, the trick is to make the compromises that have the least negative subjective effect.
...but this is about as much as you can expect with baffle mounted radiators.
Agree with both of you regarding the very classic loudspeaker design.
If you replace the 6.5'' woofer with two 4'' woofers and bevel the cabinet, you can achieve really good directivity, even with the Bliesma tweeter.

Wavecor tweeters are good, but very narrow dispersion.
If the TW030WA11 is integrated with a high crossover frequency and a second order filter, the radiation should harmonize quite well with the 6.5'' woofer - but it is only an assumption, I have not simulated it.

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I gotta pipe up here about grilles. I really prefer the old school look of speakers with full grills. If sidewards radiation is controlled I don't think diffraction is a big deal.

For this speaker though, you have to show off the drivers. They look as fancy as they are.

OP
March Audio

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
I gotta pipe up here about grilles. I really prefer the old school look of speakers with full grills. If sidewards radiation is controlled I don't think diffraction is a big deal.

For this speaker though, you have to show off the drivers. They look as fancy as they are.

Grills, well framed ones anyway, do have an effect. A simplistic simulation below

Square edge

1606874152890.png

25mm radius

1606874178506.png

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
The speakers will be going out to a range of people for subjective evaluation and feedback

Send me one, or preferably a pair. I'll pay return freight. Put them up against at least 20 pairs of speakers on a wide variety of source gear, level matched, on my Technics comparator.

I could run them against NS-1000Ms, small and big Infinities, B&Ws, Jamos, Sonys, Wharfedale, Dali, Missions, Energy, even a few vintage JBLs, Dynaudios and Mirages. I can even take them to my friend's place and compare them to his Wilson Audio Sascha IIs or his (small) Harbeths driven by his Gryphon Diablo.

:)

OP
March Audio

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
Send me one, or preferably a pair. I'll pay return freight. Put them up against at least 20 pairs of speakers on a wide variety of source gear, level matched, on my Technics comparator.

I could run them against NS-1000Ms, small and big Infinities, B&Ws, Jamos, Sonys, Wharfedale, Dali, Missions, Energy, even a few vintage JBLs, Dynaudios and Mirages. I can even take them to my friend's place and compare them to his Wilson Audio Sascha IIs or his (small) Harbeths driven by his Gryphon Diablo.

:)
I think we can arrange for this :)

Give a few weeks for me to be completely happy with the design and we can sort something out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom