• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Marantz PM-10 as external amp?

Inertia

Hello - I recently had the opportunity to purchase a Marantz PM-10 to accompany a new Cinema 30 receiver. They are powering a full home theater set but the PM-10 is amp'ing a new set of medium grade tower speakers (KEF Meta R5s) for both phono, high res music, and home theater applications.

The deal I got on the refurbished PM-10 was decent (3k). Originally I was going to exclusively use the PM-10 as an integrated amp but then I realized it has a shocking lack of features (no tone control, etc) - truly a purists integrated amp. So now I have settled on just using it as an external 2 channel amp for my Cinema 30 receiver for the front channels.

My question is - am I suffering here for a class D amp? Would I be better served with a different topography like A/B or A with these speakers? Is there anything in that price range (3k USD) that would deliver better results?

The PM-10 doesn't even have a 12v trigger so I don't know if external amp was the first thing they had in mind when they were designing this thing but so far it does sound nice. Just curious what the folks here think. Thanks!

Audiofire

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
My question is - am I suffering here for a class D amp? Would I be better served with a different topography like A/B or A with these speakers? Is there anything in that price range (3k USD) that would deliver better results?
The benefit from class D could be lower power consumption, don't see any other issue with the great amplifiers you have.

Top Bottom