• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Marantz Model 30

rlwings

Interesting that you have two with this issue, a quick google doesn't show it up anywhere else. Maybe contact your local distributor. Still under warranty?
Thanks, ya, I googled it too- found nothing! - Yes, it has a 5-yr warranty however I just hate sending 'polished' electronics to some guy just to be thrown around a bench somewhere. Lol, I am kinda OCD about scratches, etc... :) ... But I guess it's gotta be done. I never use the tone controls because I am a Dirac room correction user, but still there is the resale value to consider.

Last edited:

bizbork

Thinking the same thing, thanks.

Late to the game here, but I actually just purchased a used Model 30 and I am having the exact same issue as you with the 'Tone/Balance' being enabled only producing sound out of one speaker. Were you able to get this fixed? I was hoping a hard reset would solve the issue, but that doesn't even seem to be an option. I can't complain too much, as a I got a really good deal on this unit (wondering if this is the reason) and when the 'Tone/Balance' is disabled it sounds fantastic--it just bugs me that I can't even attempt to mess around with the Treble and Bass knobs.

Here I was thinking that I was going crazy.

egellings

Major Contributor
From a user standpoint, the idea of supporting phono demands at the minimum a subsonic filter and a mono switch. When I see high priced gear that is supposed to support phono playback without those, I know that the thinking behind the product is not complete.

To it's credit it does feature a balance control and tone controls. So it is halfway there.
107dB SNR is still inaudibly quiet. Better won't sound any quieter.

Galliardist

Major Contributor
From a user standpoint, the idea of supporting phono demands at the minimum a subsonic filter and a mono switch. When I see high priced gear that is supposed to support phono playback without those, I know that the thinking behind the product is not complete.

To it's credit it does feature a balance control and tone controls. So it is halfway there.
I thought current thinking was to use a mono cartridge for mono playback, not a mono switch - and to keep records flat rather than use a filter.

Because if you use an awkward format, it has to be even more so these days, I guess?

bizbork

Late to the game here, but I actually just purchased a used Model 30 and I am having the exact same issue as you with the 'Tone/Balance' being enabled only producing sound out of one speaker. Were you able to get this fixed? I was hoping a hard reset would solve the issue, but that doesn't even seem to be an option. I can't complain too much, as a I got a really good deal on this unit (wondering if this is the reason) and when the 'Tone/Balance' is disabled it sounds fantastic--it just bugs me that I can't even attempt to mess around with the Treble and Bass knobs.

Here I was thinking that I was going crazy.

Update on my 'Tone/Balance' issue. After having the Model 30 for a few days now, I've learned (at least I think I've learned) that in order for the 'Tone/Balance' to work properly (sound out of both speakers) I need to turn the Model 30 on, leaving 'Tone/Balance' enabled for a little while, and then it kicks in properly. It's almost as if the feature needs a proper warm up period. It's odd, but that seems to do the trick. I'm also noticing that Treble and Bass are both pretty spot on set it the 12 o'clock position, so this may also be all for naught. Hopefully this is doesn't create a domino effect into something bigger.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I need to turn the Model 30 on, leaving 'Tone/Balance' enabled for a little while, and then it kicks in properly. It's almost as if the feature needs a proper warm up period.
That's the tube based EQ configuration that needs to warm up. ;)

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I thought current thinking was to use a mono cartridge for mono playback, not a mono switch - and to keep records flat rather than use a filter.

Because if you use an awkward format, it has to be even more so these days, I guess?

I have mono cartridges, yet prefer a preamp switch. One of the problems with phono reproduction is balance. Cartridges rarely have spot on L to R balance, so the 'center image' can drift given relative phono cartridge levels. A mono switch equalizes the channels, so that is less of a problem. Really, with monophonic, the best way is to just listen to one loudspeaker, but no one wants to do that.

The thing with a sub filter is to keep record related LF garbage from entering the amplifier, and then (possibly) causing loudspeaker woofers to start pumping, in their attempts at reproducing the LF garbage. With digits, it's not a problem.

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have mono cartridges, yet prefer a preamp switch. One of the problems with phono reproduction is balance. Cartridges rarely have spot on L to R balance, so the 'center image' can drift given relative phono cartridge levels. A mono switch equalizes the channels, so that is less of a problem. Really, with monophonic, the best way is to just listen to one loudspeaker, but no one wants to do that.

The thing with a sub filter is to keep record related LF garbage from entering the amplifier, and then (possibly) causing loudspeaker woofers to start pumping, in their attempts at reproducing the LF garbage. With digits, it's not a problem.
Serious question: What about screwing up the grooves of ancient mono 78 records with an incorrectly dimensioned stylus?

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Serious question: What about screwing up the grooves of ancient mono 78 records with an incorrectly dimensioned stylus?

That's an altogether different equation. The best way to listen to 78 rpm records is either digitized (from someone elses effort), or with a Victrola (steel needle) reproducer. I have some 45 rpm EPs that were originally released as 78s, but have no real-time experience with 78 rpm, which I don't collect, and that predates my interest in hi-fi. I do have a wind up 78 rpm Thorens machine, but have not used it in years. I'm afraid it would break if I wound it up.

Back in the day, most record players offered 78 rpm (and some with 16 rpm, for voice recordings). US cartridge makers offered styli to accommodate 78 rpm records, if needed. In Japan, Denon offered the DL-102 in both mono Microgroove and 78 rpm versions. But price to the consumer was commensurate with the rotational speed of the record.

Grado offers a 78 rpm stylus. I have no recent hands-on experience with Grado cartridges. For anyone interested, the Rek O Kut Website lists 78rpm styli/cartridges.

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That's an altogether different equation. The best way to listen to 78 rpm records is either digitized (from someone elses effort), or with a Victrola (steel needle) reproducer. I have some 45 rpm EPs that were originally released as 78s, but have no real-time experience with 78 rpm, which I don't collect, and that predates my interest in hi-fi. I do have a wind up 78 rpm Thorens machine, but have not used it in years. I'm afraid it would break if I wound it up.

Back in the day, most record players offered 78 rpm (and some with 16 rpm, for voice recordings). US cartridge makers offered styli to accommodate 78 rpm records, if needed. In Japan, Denon offered the DL-102 in both mono Microgroove and 78 rpm versions. But price to the consumer was commensurate with the rotational speed of the record.

Grado offers a 78 rpm stylus. I have no recent hands-on experience with Grado cartridges. For anyone interested, the Rek O Kut Website lists 78rpm styli/cartridges.
I have some 78's from my grandmother that date back to my fathers born year of 1927 (& newer) and some historical "Gullah" language one's that I would like to digitize. Hopefully I will be able to start my digitizing project by the second quarter next year.
I have a very well working DUAL 1229 & also a very well working linier tracking Technics SL-M3 (with various carts for each) for my LP's.
The 78's will require their own setup. Maybe I will get lucky & find the titles somewhere already done.
We have a Radio/TV/Film tech museum here, maybe I can get some help through them when the time comes.
I will also be looking into converting my Austrian/Italian grandfather's 9.5 mm reels of film into a modern format (he was involved a bit in the European Film industry & invented a few items that were used in that industry back then).
Thank you for the suggestions.
EJ3

Top Bottom