• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

NAD 3050 or Marantz Model 30

jarrod2750

I have dedicated two channel set up that was powered by a vintage Marantz 2330. I was tired of the maintenance and upkeep and want to go with something relatively new. I’ve narrowed down my choices to two - the Marantz Model 30N or NAD 3050. Based on sonics only, is the $1200 premium of the Marantz worth it?

Zek

Major Contributor
a vintage Marantz 2330
I would never throw away this good receiver...
oldtimer.gif

OP
J

jarrod2750

And when you finally realize that the new receiver is not like your beloved Marantz, it will be too late...
I have a temporary unit in its place a Pioneer VSX D1S while I figure things out, and I really don’t miss the 2330 at all. I don’t regret selling it and moving on. I’m sure it will bring some else great enjoyment. I’m happier with the Pioneer as the temporary unit.

AudiOhm

What speakers are you using?

Ohms

MarkS

Major Contributor
Based on sonics only, is the $1200 premium of the Marantz worth it?
No. But based on sonics only, the Lyngdorf TDAI-1120 is worth it, because it has room correction, and a fully configurable sub crossover, both of which are far more important to good sound than tiny (I would say inaudible) differences in the "sonics" of modern solid-state amps.

OP
J

jarrod2750

No. But based on sonics only, the Lyngdorf TDAI-1120 is worth it, because it has room correction, and a fully configurable sub crossover, both of which are far more important to good sound than tiny (I would say inaudible) differences in the "sonics" of modern solid-state amps.
The Dirac functionally of the NAD is why I was considering it

pinger

Receivers, Amps etc should be bought on features, build quality, ergonomics, power requirements etc. Sonically they are all the same. Until someone does a legit double blind showing amps can sound different and be identified by the testers thats my story and Im sticking to it!

Last edited:

AudiOhm

Receivers, Amps etc should be bought on features, build quality, ergonomics, power requirements etc. Sonically they are all the same. Until someone does a legit double blind showing amps can sound different and be identified by the testers thats my story and Im sticking to it!
Don't forget visual aesthetics...

Ohms

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Can't imagine keeping a Marantz receiver from that era (had a 2270 myself at one point). The idea of basing an integrated amp on "sonics" is weird.

Top Bottom