• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Marantz Model 30

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
In person the amp is very solidly constructed and the plastic front in question does not look cheap. To be honest, I would likely not have known if not pointed out. The look, finish, fit, and feel of the controls is superb. The sound is what sold me. I enjoy the combination with the Revel speakers, very neutral with good bass control. I am over aggressive sounding speakers or amps...my preference now that I am in my 60's.
I was involved with live music since I was born. My mother & some of her friends sang at various events & usually had a few people playing the songs on various instruments (acoustically & amplified) in both the Southern USA & in Austria from before I could walk (in the late 50's to now).
I heard German folk music, symphonies, operas & Gasthaus (a German-style inn or tavern with a bar, a restaurant, banquet facilities and hotel rooms for rent bands) blues, swing, be-bop, jazz, bluegrass & rock & roll all live, on a regular basis during my up-bringing to now. I was about 14 & at a family friends (he was an automotive battery engineer) haus (in Graz, Austria) when I realized that his NAD Receiver & speakers (don't know which ones), sounded pretty life like compared to anything else that I had heard playing an LP or on FM. I also ran sound for local /regional bands & plays & worked as a DJ at a # of radio stations.
It was that which I heard in Graz that started me on this journey. I pick & obtain "very good but modest" priced at the time equipment and when it falls behind the times (usually a # of years) I either upgrade (through mods) what I have or buy newer/better gear & relegate what I have to second system. I still have most of the gear I have ever owned (because I only upgrade one piece at a time & not very often, it's not like room fulls of stuff).
My 'live' audio experience's greatly influenced the gear. Amirm's testing has in several cases, vindicated my choices (even if the weren't up to todays best standards) and also shown me why I thought some things that were being pushed (even some that I had had), were not all that. And explains why I did not like some of them, even though others were saying that they were better than newly baked bread.
I guess that I never went for the aggressive sound, just the more natural sounding gear.
EJH

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
the myriad of possible differences in design or quality of components have an influence in sonic characteristics and impart a desired signature.
The impossibility of this clear. The "Myriad" of possibilities used to intentionally impart a house sound?

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The impossibility of this clear. The "Myriad" of possibilities used to intentionally impart a house sound?
Well, just as some companies are known for a certain level of automotive performance, others want to enhance the 'luxury'. Yes, some companies have sonic signatures. Not saying that it is right for you or me, but there are others who may have never heard actual live music & have a sound preference that has nothing to do with accuracy.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Well, just as some companies are known for a certain level of automotive performance, others want to enhance the 'luxury'. Yes, some companies have sonic signatures. Not saying that it is right for you or me, but there are others who may have never heard actual live music & have a sound preference that has nothing to do with accuracy.
If that signature is there, it will be easily measured as they are in many tube products.
There are no magic attributes that can change a sound signature and not be measurable. ;)

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
If that signature is there, it will be easily measured as they are in many tube products.
Instantaneous values of electron energy can be determined with reference to the best locally available standards. The issue I see is that the deniers say that stuff is not measurable.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
The issue I see is that the deniers say that stuff is not measurable.
Ah, the magic dust you mean.
Truth be told it's only magical when it goes up your nose. :facepalm:

Galliardist

Major Contributor
Yes, that is the point. Marantz used a severely undersized power supply and choke the modules, and they specified the output power correctly then. Maybe it is not to cannibalize their more expensive PM10, also based on NC500?
It's a sign of the times that people now worry about an amp the price of the model 30 "only" rating 375w into 1 ohm...

The PM10 is bridged with four modules in the amp. It's also underpowered and as noted above, puts out less power into low impedances than their other nCore amps. Presumably, it's a deliberate decision by the company related to their other customisations - I never bought the opinion of some reviewers that they underpowered the PM10 for cost reasons.

I own a PM10 and if expensive, it suits our needs here - but I see it as an amp for specific conditions. With Sound United now owning B&W, I suspect Marantz are working hard and fast on a replacement reference amp to drive the new 800 series models properly, and that they may revert to a pre/power offering.

I'd also expect a Chinese built model 30 lookalike in the near future (they have already said that they will migrate the technology into the 8000 series) - possibly in the second half of 2022. I guess we'll see how they respond to feedback around the Model 30 (and the SACD30n) then. Hopefully they are watching this and other forums and will pick up on what you've all had to say.

JRS

Major Contributor
Am I the only one who thinks that the styling is ugly and contrived?
No. You're not. The champagne almost works--Just use the fascia that looks almost as good as my Marantz 1200 int amp made in 1971. And if they are trying to get some composite CF thing going with the printing, do it for real or not at all.

Luisinky

You are exactly right. After 15 years serving onboard Aircraft Carriers my hearing isn't what it was in my early 20's when I attended a concert a month. My first exposure to a hifi system set the hook and I chased what I thought hifi should sound like for a long time. Once I retired and started looking to build a system I realized there are very few high end audio stores around to audition gear and I felt uneasy buying based only specs. I found a couple of stores in nashville and was able to hear some of the equipment and was surprised the ones I thought I would like based on specs disappointed me. I understand the goal here is to analyze and evaluate equipment performance, therefore I will attempt to leave my flowery opinions at the door...and if I slip up I know the admonishments will commence.

JRS

Major Contributor
I'm going to rant one more post on the new Model 30 and Marantz construction in general. Personally I found the new Model 30 quite attractive but when I found out that the main front panel with the snakeskin appearance was plastic my enthusiasm for this $2500 component took a dive. Hey Marantz, how much do we have to pay to get a product with honest high end construction? The original Model 30 from the 1970s had a very nice full aluminum from panel as did most all components of the day, even some of the cheapest. Modern CNC machineing has dropped the cost of manufacture dramatically. My Marantz AV7703 has a aluminum center section with large plastic "wings" on either side, as did my 7701 before it. And you can include their very TOTL $4,500 AV8805 and all those before it.
How much would it really cost to give us something to take pride in? Plastic is for making toys, not four figure High Fidelity components. :mad:
8203463_Marantz-30-1.jpg
Now thats more like it: replica of the famed 1200 integrated amp 100w/8 x 2 which I measured years later to be 160. The same front was used for the top of their top of the line separates. The brushed aluminum was gorgeous (even 25 years later looked brand new, the pots had perfect resistance, and even those sliders had a perfect click detente you couldn't mistake. In fact only harm was an inadvertent short 25 years which took out a few output transistors. Able to get the manual off Sam's and back in biz in no time. Truly a fine piece. (I see where used now, they fetch more than I paid 600.00 retail, 450. through Illinois Audio mail order--perhaps the best thing audio purchase I ever made. Used it to run a sub in bridged for many years after switching to an Adcom GFA 555--now that was ugly.)

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
the plastic front in question does not look cheap
Different point of view here, and one of them is kind of biased, since you bought it.;)

I think it does look cheap and above all, barely acceptable for a 3000€ (MSRP EU) amp. There is no excuse for it. Especially when sister company sells something like the Denon PMA-2500 (built like a tank in comparison) at the same price.
but it seems that the myriad of possible differences in design or quality of components have an influence in sonic characteristics and impart a desired signature.
Well, this is ASR: ideally, we are looking for what things are, not what things "seem".

Anyway, glad you're enjoying your system. That all that matters at the end.

though without getting one on Amir's bench we'll never know for sure
@John Atkinson did the job already...

Last edited:

Stoned1977

I recently purchased the model 30. I have klipsch cornwall iv's and a mofi ultra deck.

The plastic front was a turn off for me until I saw one in person. It does not look cheap at all. The controls feel great but most importantly it sounds rich and warm with my set up. The detail and soundstage is wonderful. Not to mention the wife approves.

Galliardist

Major Contributor
A bit of a copout, if only the case trickles down further if you ask me. But there's no need for the DSD stuff from the high end players without an SACD spinner, really. I guess there could still be class D in the case but it seems unlikely.

It's clearly targeting the NAD M10, with HDMI and streaming.

I don't see why the porthole display, on a streaming device. You'll need a control app on a device with a screen, unless the HDMI port does double duty and you can use a TV

gaburko

A bit of a copout, if only the case trickles down further if you ask me. But there's no need for the DSD stuff from the high end players without an SACD spinner, really. I guess there could still be class D in the case but it seems unlikely.

It's clearly targeting the NAD M10, with HDMI and streaming.

I don't see why the porthole display, on a streaming device. You'll need a control app on a device with a screen, unless the HDMI port does double duty and you can use a TV
Yeah, it indeed seems like it's targeting the M10, but I am somewhat confused by this device, it somehow doesn't make sense. Marantz had gone all in with Class D (from the flagship PM-10 to the Model 30) and instead of using a decent news Class D design (wink wink purifi) they went for AB design. It just sits weird in their lineup. Also, it's more underpowered than the M10 and has less features than the M10 (no Roon, no MQA...) while the price is the same. I was really hoping for Marantz to jump on the Purifi ship as we need more mainstream brands producing integrated amps with Purifi.

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah, it indeed seems like it's targeting the M10, but I am somewhat confused by this device, it somehow doesn't make sense. Marantz had gone all in with Class D (from the flagship PM-10 to the Model 30) and instead of using a decent news Class D design (wink wink purifi) they went for AB design. It just sits weird in their lineup. Also, it's more underpowered than the M10 and has less features than the M10 (no Roon, no MQA...) while the price is the same. I was really hoping for Marantz to jump on the Purifi ship as we need more mainstream brands producing integrated amps with Purifi.

Also: only ONE SUB OUT, seriously behind the times. I have had A SUB for my stereo since the 80's & 2 (running in 2 Ohms) since the late 90's.

dadregga

I dunno - not sure about that. I rip all my SACDs and stream the DSD files so I definitely just want the playback without the overpriced, unnecessary spinner - and DSD downloads are a thing. I would bet there are already more people playing back DSD as files over USB than there are playing DSD via (expensive, even-more-niche, now not particularly necessary) SACD transports.

Bloodrom

Hello, new to the forum and loving all the info.

Has anyone used the model 30 with Klipsch cornwall Iv's?

Thanx
Hello, I know very late to the party.

I have that exact system Model 30 + Cornwall IV + REL 812 sub. The system is amazing. Transparent and big. It’s like a been in small jazz bar with the musicians 9 feet away from you. It is punchy agile and detailed.

rlwings

Hey guys. So I've had my Model 30 for some time now but I am experiencing an issue. It seems that one of the channels cuts out whenever I turn the tone controls on. I need to turn the tone controls on\off a few times (or play some music for a while) in order to 'coax' the effected channel to come back on. It's as if one of the capacitors isn't saturating properly. - Actually I have two Model 30's and surprisingly they both do the same thing! - Any ideas what might be causing this to happen? - It doesn't happen every time, and once the channel comes back on it stays on... I'm thinking it's a preamp issue. Not power saturating after switching on tone controls... or maybe some internal computer switching issue... Any ideas? ... Have you heard of this before?

Note, I did notice the same issue a couple of times when trying to use the phono input and one other 'Line in' input... But both units? - Design flaw? Bad batch? (Bought both at the same time from the same retailer).

Last edited:

Galliardist

Major Contributor
Hey guys. So I've had my Model 30 for some time now but I am experiencing an issue. It seems that one of the channels cuts out whenever I turn the tone controls on. I need to turn the tone controls on\off a few times (or play some music for a while) in order to 'coax' the effected channel to come back on. It's as if one of the capacitors isn't saturating properly. - Actually I have two Model 30's and surprisingly they both do the same thing! - Any ideas what might be causing this to happen? - I doesn't happen every time, and once the channel comes back on it stays on... I'm thinking it's a preamp issue. Not power saturating after switching on tone controls... or maybe some internal computer switching issue... Any ideas? ... Have you heard of this before?

Note, I did notice the same issue a couple of times when trying to use the phono input and one other 'Line in' input... But both units? - Design flaw? Bad batch? (Bought both at the same time from the same retailer).
Interesting that you have two with this issue, a quick google doesn't show it up anywhere else. Maybe contact your local distributor. Still under warranty?

Top Bottom