• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Marantz Model 30

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That's funny they fained a more disinterested relationship.

I doubt this will really have much 'house sound' out in the wild. You might need a 2270 or something similar if you want much of that.

If they are going to trickle the plastic down to stuff around or under $1000, with higher volume, then it makes even more sense they went with cheap plastic. I wouldn't buy the M30 for its plastic, but it wouldn't make much difference to me on an AVR or something.

The bad thing about the plastic here is that it looks like expensive metal, so you are going to want to touch it as they stated. Then when you do, it won't conduct heat like aluminum and you will know it fake amd cheap. Sort of like these:

20201221_072957.jpg

Versus a real glass one:

20201221_072850.jpg

Too bad the outstanding NAD M33 is twice the price.

Mr.XO

That's funny they fained a more disinterested relationship.

I doubt this will really have much 'house sound' out in the wild. You might need a 2270 or something similar if you want much of that.

If they are going to trickle the plastic down to stuff around or under $1000, with higher volume, then it makes even more sense they went with cheap plastic. I wouldn't buy the M30 for its plastic, but it wouldn't make much difference to me on an AVR or something.

The bad thing about the plastic here is that it looks like expensive metal, so you are going to want to touch it as they stated. Then when you do, it won't conduct heat like aluminum and you will know it fake amd cheap. Sort of like these:

View attachment 100653

Versus a real glass one:

View attachment 100654
Too bad the outstanding NAD M33 is twice the price.

Yes, M33 is good, but quite pricey, and even with all that's crammed into it, at the end no USB DAC support?!
Here I kinda like the Marantz Model 30 approach, for the same price, you can buy 2 boxes if you want all that same functionality as the M33 - but its up to you. And, they are both well-rounded functionality wise in their own spaces.

As for me, I'd rather even have the streamer and DAC separate, due to the ever changing landscape; and don't care much about the integrated CD/SACD - I have one.
So, the analog only Model 30 Amp works out in that sense, the HT bypass is a plus as well. And, if it sounds anything like the KI-Ruby or PM-10 that I recently heard, then I wonder how many real buyers will get hung up on the little plastic.

Last edited:

LostArk

Recently auditioned the new Model 30. It sounds like it belongs in the Marantz reference line. I could not find fault sonically (speakers: Monitor Audio Platinum PL500 II). Construction was solid as hell. The front is plastic, yes, but it has no give to it when pressed, and when you tap the front it feels and sounds like a solid hunk of material. I'd say the build quality feels like a significant step up from the PM8006. For the price point and what you get I think I'm prepared to forgive the plastic without reservation. A great sounding, great looking piece from Marantz with great ergonomics.

BikeSmith60

Recently auditioned the new Model 30. It sounds like it belongs in the Marantz reference line. I could not find fault sonically (speakers: Monitor Audio Platinum PL500 II). Construction was solid as hell. The front is plastic, yes, but it has no give to it when pressed, and when you tap the front it feels and sounds like a solid hunk of material. I'd say the build quality feels like a significant step up from the PM8006. For the price point and what you get I think I'm prepared to forgive the plastic without reservation. A great sounding, great looking piece from Marantz with great ergonomics.

Hello LostArk,
Was wondering how you found the bass response and behavior on the Model 30 during your demo. Am currently looking to replace my Naim Supernait2 with something a bit more civilized, notably with more subtle control on LF. The Naim is like Mike Tyson, very upset, in a China shop. The Model 30 smacks of mid-fi but maybe it could do the trick...Thanks for your feedback. Brgds.

LostArk

Model 30 handles all frequencies with power and finesse, just like the PM-KI and PM-10. Marantz has cracked it with these Hypex units. I do feel Marantz has done something the input buffer and/or preamp to "voice" the amp. Compared to bog standard NC500 monos, It's slightly warm (slightly boosted mid bass) with an almost artificially wide soundstage and smooth / liquid treble (not rolled off or veiled). Reminds me a lot of what McIntosh tube gear sounds like.

BikeSmith60

Model 30 handles all frequencies with power and finesse, just like the PM-KI and PM-10. Marantz has cracked it with these Hypex units. I do feel Marantz has done something the input buffer and/or preamp to "voice" the amp. Compared to bog standard NC500 monos, It's slightly warm (slightly boosted mid bass) with an almost artificially wide soundstage and smooth / liquid treble (not rolled off or veiled). Reminds me a lot of what McIntosh tube gear sounds like.

Thanks for quick reply. Hopefully useful for others as well. Next question for me to entertain is will it properly power the latest iteration of the PMC 25i series speakers, which are basically a sort of incarnation of Satan.
Thanks again.

LostArk

Looks like those speakers are low sensitivity but nominally 8ohms. The Model 30 will manhandle any speakers that don't dip below 4 ohms. The one Achilles heel of these Marantz units is low sensitivity speakers with low nominal impedance. The PM-10 can "only" muster 175wpc into 1 ohm. Since the Model 30 isn't bridged, it can actually do "better" than the PM-10 at 370w into 1 ohm, at the expense of SNR and balanced operation. For most rooms these numbers are purely academic, but there is not "infinite" headroom into any speaker load like with McIntosh mono blocks, for example. Again, the low impedance numbers are more of an exercise in audiophile nervosa than anything. I'm sure the Model 30 will deafen before it clips in 99.9% of systems.

BikeSmith60

Looks like those speakers are low sensitivity but nominally 8ohms. The Model 30 will manhandle any speakers that don't dip below 4 ohms. The one Achilles heel of these Marantz units is low sensitivity speakers with low nominal impedance. The PM-10 can "only" muster 175wpc into 1 ohm. Since the Model 30 isn't bridged, it can actually do "better" than the PM-10 at 370w into 1 ohm, at the expense of SNR and balanced operation. For most rooms these numbers are purely academic, but there is not "infinite" headroom into any speaker load like with McIntosh mono blocks, for example. Again, the low impedance numbers are more of an exercise in audiophile nervosa than anything. I'm sure the Model 30 will deafen before it clips in 99.9% of systems.

Hi again, in fact the new version of the 25.22i standmount is marketed at 89db for 8 ohms. Frankly, easy enough to drive as I tested with 10 watts of triode power and at low listening it was totally palatable, if obviously not ideal. The real problem is countering and compensating for how PMC magnificently mucked up the transmission line design and fell for the commercial trap of marketing hype, gimmicks and downright mistruths. Anyway, on about 10% of my music they can sing correctly. That leaves 90% of my music which is purely unlistenable, excluding room acoustics, EQ and DSP tweaking. Before selling them, I'd like to get rid of the Naim anyway and simply things with a bit more control, i.e. balance and tone options along with Bruno Putzey's Class D modules. My hunch is that the Marantz techno along with HDAM may be the proper alchemy that I am seeking. So, home demo is an objective early 2021. Brgds.

Mr.XO

Been trying to figure out the warranty on the Model 30 series.

Here it says register and get 5 yrs for UK, 30-series (marantz.com)
Don't see that for the US, MODEL 30 and SACD 30N (marantz.com)

Seems like the 5 yrs is more of a promotional thing and that too specific to certain regions! Makes me think it only comes with a 2 or 3 yrs warranty...?

BikeSmith60

Mr.XO

Looks like 2 years warranty in France. Very poor!

I'd have thought that 5 yr promotional offer was for the whole to Europe, and not just UK.

Also, UK seems to get a PM-12SE, which is very similar to Model 30 on the inside, but PM-KI on the outside! Assuming SE stands for Special Edition, UK seems to be getting some special treatment indeed! :)
PM-12SE (marantz.com)

Now why wouldn't they wanna emphasize their confidence and commitment to build quality all over the globe?! :confused:

www.marantz.com/en-gb/30-series said:
Register your MODEL 30 and SACD 30n for a 5-year warranty

For more than 60 years, Marantz has been creating industry-leading audio products that will be passed on to generations to come.

To emphasize our confidence and commitment to build quality, we offer you to register your Model 30 and SACD 30n for a 5-year warranty.

Register your product today.

Serg

Looks good, omission of cloud services makes sense if they actually do expect people to keep these in service for many years: Pretty sure than an analog integrated amplifier will be usable a generation hence, Alexa or Heos Music not so much.
I totally agree with you on this. Sadly, expensive all-in-ones are going to be the norm. I'm glad companies like Marantz and Yamaha are going old school with these units. Which one to get?

Kapus

I am wondering, has anyone listened a Model 30 with a KEF R3 (minimum impedance 3.2 ohms)?

I have KEF R3 with a Marantz PM-8006 and this amplifier cannot give me enough low frequencies (even when using an equalizer). I also tried KEF R3 with Hegel h120 and this bundle could dig deep (low end from the speakers was like a subwoofer and I liked it when I used the equalizer), but I prefer the character of Marantz sound.

Can the Model 30 sound like a Hegel with low impedance speakers at low frequencies?

P.S. I usually listen to music quietly (about 40-60 dB) and so that I can hear bass at this volume, I need to raise the 30-60hz range by ~+8dB.

Last edited:

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Welcome,
I am wondering, has anyone listened a Model 30 with a KEF R3 (minimum impedance 3.2 ohms)?
First, try to don't pay attention to manufacturers specs. R3 has already been measured at several places. In each of them, minimum impedance goes a bit under 3 Ohms. It happens only at about 40Hz.
Can the Model 30 sound like a Hegel with low impedance speakers at low frequencies?
I don't imagine this can happen. Both PM 8006 and H120 should doing fine with very occasional <3Ohms load. And both are certainly powerful enough to deal with 40-60dB listening with the R3. In fact, it is very unlikely to happen that any good quality amp could "add" bass to a speaker. Regarding your comparaison between the two, if this wasn't A/B comparaison, level-matched, then you probably evaluated gain of each instead of their "bass performance".
I need to raise the 30-60ghz range by ~+8dB.
The R3 can barely go in that region. In fact, it starts to roll-off quite significantly from 60Hz. You can't turn speakers into subwoofer with whatever amp.;) The only thing should be to get a good sub to deal with these frequencies.

Last edited:

Kapus

In fact, it is very unlikely to happen that any good quality amp could "add" bass to a speaker.

Apparently we have different experiences. I don't know enough about stereo amplifiers to say exactly what affects the amplifier's ability to turn up the volume at a certain frequency. Perhaps this is a damping factor, PM 8006 - 100, H120 - 2000.

I can say for sure that when I used the PM 8006 and in Equalizer APO I add 8db around 50hz, the changes are quite small. But when I do the same with the H120, I can get chest punching on some tracks.

I have sub SVS SB-1000. I also have active speakers System Audio Legend 5 Silverback and they go down low (maybe 40Hz) and when I compare them with KEF R3 + Marantz PM8006 it seems to me that Marantz has very poor performance below 100hz (when subwoofer is turned off, comparison gives the impression that this range below 100hz is almost absent - when I had a Hegel I could get the performance I needed using the EQ).

Has anyone compared Model 30 to PM8006, I'm curious if Model 30 can respond to EQ the way Hegel does? Unfortunately, I have no way to compare their performance in my city.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Perhaps this is a damping factor, PM 8006 - 100, H120 - 2000.
Again: we do need some measurements of such things. 2000 DF for the H120 is for sure widely overestimated by its manufacturer...
I can say for sure that when I used the PM 8006 and in Equalizer APO I add 8db around 50hz, the changes are quite small. But when I do the same with the H120, I can get chest punching on
Level-matched ?:rolleyes: Did you verify/measure this with REW or something?
Has anyone compared Model 30 to PM8006, I'm curious if Model 30 can respond to EQ the way Hegel does? Unfortunately, I have no way to compare their performance in my city.
I owned the 8005 and many Ncore amps (which is what the Model 30 is: 2 X NC500 OEM, underpowered). The NC500 is more powerful and doesn't make a lot of sense for how quiet you listen.
I'm curious if Model 30 can respond to EQ the way Hegel does?
It won't, since comparaisons like these are absolutely not valid. Your are testing Apples VS Oranges:
I have sub SVS SB-1000. I also have active speakers System Audio Legend 5 Silverback and they go down low (maybe 40Hz) and when I compare them with KEF R3 + Marantz PM8006 it seems to me that Marantz has very poor performance below 100hz (when subwoofer is turned off, comparison gives the impression that this range below 100hz is almost absent - when I had a Hegel I could get the performance I needed using the EQ).

rlwings

I just bought the Marantz model 30 and I'd like to give a few impressions. I know it's a cliche but it's wholly true that Marantz is easy to listen to and embodies a rich warmth, elegant midrange, and silky smooth highs which are never crunchy or gritty, and never at the expense of detail. Truly a masterpiece for those who are tired of fatiguing 'in your face' presentations. Looking at you Cambridge. :) The Marantz allows you to listen INTO the music which comes across balanced from top to bottom and lets you make discoveries as you listen. The result is you become a part of the music rather than just being an observer. You get drawn in rather than being inundated. Marantz seems to understand how some people like to hear music and the Model 30 is a strong punchy warm smooth detailed clean sounding amp. A complete and beautiful musical experience that does not irritate. The Model 30 is an excellent isolated amplifier\preamp living in one box. - (Of course this is my $3,500 Canadian talking!) :)

Last edited:

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for those listening impressions.

I think the looks are pretty, but not Accuphase pretty.

fluxcapacitor

I just bought the Marantz model 30 and I'd like to give a few impressions. I know it's a cliche but it's wholly true that Marantz is easy to listen to and embodies a rich warmth, elegant midrange, and silky smooth highs which are never crunchy or gritty, and never at the expense of detail. Truly a masterpiece for those who are tired of fatiguing 'in your face' presentations. Looking at you Cambridge. :) The Marantz allows you to listen INTO the music which comes across balanced from top to bottom and lets you make discoveries as you listen. The result is you become a part of the music rather than just being an observer. You get drawn in rather than being inundated. Marantz seems to understand how some people like to hear music and the Model 30 is a strong punchy warm smooth detailed clean sounding amp. A complete and beautiful musical experience that does not irritate. The Model 30 is an excellent isolated amplifier\preamp living in one box. - (Of course this is my $3,500 Canadian talking!) :)
that are my exact findings with marantz pm8006 & nd8006 combo. i never got ear fatigue after many hours of listening, no any sound is prominent, all are equally audible, you discover many sounds inside the tracks.this is how i met warm-detailed marantz sound i've been hearing from many users.

Top Bottom