• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Marantz Model 30

jjk1

A-wtd S/N ratio of only 79.6db? Isn't this awfully low? The PM8006 (class A/B) has been measured between 85-90db.
Hi LostArk
Do you have a link to a review of the PM8006 with measurements? I’ve been looking for one.
thank you
jjk

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I confirm that both front plate and knobs are made of plastic. Barely acceptable for some 3000€ product...:rolleyes:
I stand corrected: I checked the unit again and, no: Knobs and the main (black) front plate are aluminum. Both feel cold and sound like metal when taping on it. My bad! The plate around (dark grey) is still plastic however.:confused:

Anyway: Stereo DE and Audio PL measured the Model 30, with both results exceeding Marantz specs.
Soft clipping, with continuous power at 172W/8Ohms and 283W/4Ohms (specs 100 / 200W). 0.003% THD at 5W/1Khz and an unusually high damping factor... AFAIK, the highest value ever measured by Stereo, one of the highest for Audio PL. This is not so bad for underpowered NC500 OEMs.

Last edited:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I'm going to rant one more post on the new Model 30 and Marantz construction in general. Personally I found the new Model 30 quite attractive but when I found out that the main front panel with the snakeskin appearance was plastic my enthusiasm for this $2500 component took a dive. Hey Marantz, how much do we have to pay to get a product with honest high end construction? The original Model 30 from the 1970s had a very nice full aluminum from panel as did most all components of the day, even some of the cheapest. Modern CNC machineing has dropped the cost of manufacture dramatically. My Marantz AV7703 has a aluminum center section with large plastic "wings" on either side, as did my 7701 before it. And you can include their very TOTL $4,500 AV8805 and all those before it.
How much would it really cost to give us something to take pride in? Plastic is for making toys, not four figure High Fidelity components. :mad:
8203463_Marantz-30-1.jpg

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
Plastic is for making toys, not four figure High Fidelity components. :mad:

Like I've said many times about motorcycles; there should be mechanical honesty. At any rate, the approximate manufacturer's cost for the 3/8" machined front panel of a high end component is around $500.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Like I've said many times about motorcycles; there should be mechanical honesty. At any rate, the approximate manufacturer's cost for the 3/8" machined front panel of a high end component is around $500.
WHAT ???
I can buy a complete case with 8mm thick aluminum front panel 9" wide by 4" off ebay for $55. What if I wanted 10,000?
And I just grabbed the price on the first one I saw, search ebay for "amplifer case"
Don't know where you get your numbers but they're seriously off.
If you want them to look like Pass Labs, maybe. but that's not what I'm expecting.

s-l1600.jpg

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
Don't know where you get your numbers but they're seriously off.
I get them off the BOM. These are laser cut with rather intricate patterns and very well finished, thus the cost. You just posted a generic flat aluminum slab - that's cheap to buy.

Last edited:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I get them off the BOM from the manufacturer where I work. These are laser cut with rather intricate patterns and very well finished, thus the cost. You just posted a generic flat aluminum slab - that's cheap to buy.
Much more handsome than plastic, and that's the complete case, heat sinks and all. Have you seen the handsome custom machined cases March Audio is building his components in, you can get a complete stereo amp for just a bit more than the number you posted.
https://www.marchaudio.net.au/product-page/p122-125-watt-stereo-power-amplifier
Just sayin, with the buying power of Marantz/United Audio we shouldn't have to settle for plastic panels. I didn't in 1970, why now?

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
Much more handsome than plastic, and that's the complete case, heat sinks and all. Have you seen the handsome custom machined cases March Audio is building his components in, you can get a complete stereo amp for just a bit more than the number you posted.
https://www.marchaudio.net.au/product-page/p122-125-watt-stereo-power-amplifier
Just sayin, with the buying power of Marantz/United Audio we shouldn't have to settle for plastic panels. I didn't in 1970, why now?

It just costs a surprising amount for CNC and laser cut/etched panels with 3D smooth curves thrown in for extra measure. That's cheap when you compare it what the metalwork cost must be for this D'Agostino amp:

relentless_monoblock_1.jpg

Last edited:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
It just costs a surprising amount for CNC and laser cut/etched panels with 3D smooth curves thrown in for extra measure. That's cheap when you compare it what the metalwork cost must be for this D'Agostino amp:
Oh yea, must cost a hell of a lot to make that beauty. If I ever hit the big lotto I'll drop-ship one to Amir to test. If it does well, I'll gift it to him and order about 15 channels worth for my next multich rig. I drool over that sucker every time I see it.
A guy can dream can't he. ;)

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Classic early Superscope Marantz is lovely, and also just a brushed anodized plate with some holes and a silkscreen. They should have gone for something along those lines. Some are engraved, but they could save that for $6000+ flagship stuff.

20201219_064442.jpg

You can get a reproduction, likely US made, delivered for $75

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Oh yea, must cost a hell of a lot to make that beauty. If I ever hit the big lotto I'll drop-ship one to Amir to test. If it does well, I'll gift it to him and order about 15 channels worth for my next multich rig. I drool over that sucker every time I see it.
A guy can dream can't he. ;)
It was measured already and it is okish.
https://www.hifinews.com/content/dagostino-relentless-mono-power-amplifier-lab-report

More here:
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...list-for-3rd-party-measured-amplifiers.16060/

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm going to rant one more post on the new Model 30 and Marantz construction in general. Personally I found the new Model 30 quite attractive but when I found out that the main front panel with the snakeskin appearance was plastic my enthusiasm for this $2500 component took a dive.
The original Model 30 was $450.00 USD in the early '70s. In our current inflato funny money that's supposed to be equivalent to $2600.00. You could expect a little discount, but Marantz was typically not as marked down as Pioneer and Kenwood. Maybe get the dealer to throw in a Shure cartridge.

The old gear was certainly better quality material, with more basic features, if not as electrically advanced. You could even buy an optional walnut sleeve for it, if furniture was your thing. I guess this new Model 30 owner can console himself (it is, after all, a 'console' amplifier--nice pun, eh?) by telling himself, "Hey. It's plastic. But it's really thick plastic!"

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
You can get a reproduction, likely US made, delivered for $75
A 2440, hey I owned one of them. My first entry into multich sound ca 1974 or 5. Here it is below my 2270 reciever, both worth a bundle now in refurbed condition.
Marantz1976_v1.jpg

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Here's Marantz guys talking about some of those design choices,
Marantz Model 30 Integrated Amplifier and SACD 30n Streaming Player - YouTube
Thank you for posting this. It.is nice to see what they are thinking.

He lost me when he said they tried aluminum, but landed on plastic due to superior performance with resonances.

I suspect he means cost constraints. The explanation of the "golf ball look" was similarly pathetic.

Then he goes on to say most people who buy this lack the real estate to have a music system in one room and HT in another. Really? This is a nice piece of kit for someone who needs pass through. I get it if you are in a city or crowded country, but the rest of us have better things to spend money on first (more real estate).

I don't think any.of.my Marantz units are younger than I am except one 80s TT. I may keep it this way. If I want "hose sound" in a discrete circuit, a restored pre 1974 model is where I will look.

I have really enjoyed the tuner on my 4240 lately.

They do not break my heart, but they disappoint.

Last edited:

Mr.XO

Thank you for posting this. It.is nice to.see what.they are thinking.

He lost me when he said they tried aluminum, but landed on plastic due to superior performance with resonances.

I suspect he means cost constraints. The explanation of the "golf ball look" was similarly pathetic.

Then he goes on to say most people who buy this lack the real estate to have a music system in one room and HT in another. Really? This is a nice piece of kit for someone who needs pass through. I get it if you are in a city or crowded country, but the rest of us have better things to spend money on first (more real estate).

I don't think any.of.my marantz units are younger than I am except one 80s TT. I may keep it this way. If I want "hose sound" in a discrete circuit, a.restored pre 1974 model is where I will look.

I have really.enjoyed.the tuner on my 4240 lately.

They do not break my heart, but they disapoint.

I agree, the chap starts off kinda ok and then soon goes blah blah into some la-la land.

The same is repeated here, except in the above case it was in their control to not bring it up if they had no good formalized explanation for how they got to what it ended up being,
Marantz Model 30 and SACD 30n Announcement and Reveal! Episode 8 with the Marantz product team! - YouTube

Now this guy's review does make me wanna try it out for the big soundstage and fine details with all the warmth even at low listening volumes, etc.,
Review! Marantz Model 30 Integrated Amplifier! - YouTube

But I do find it a bit strange that his above video was uploaded on 9/1, the same day Marantz officially announced these new models, so he must have had early access to it, but then Marantz quotes him in the below video as if they don't know him! Makes you wonder if the review was actually a "promotion" in itself... :)
Marantz Model 30 Integrated Amplifier and SACD 30n Streaming Player - YouTube

Anyways, from all that I have read / watched so far, it looks like this new design language will spread into their AVRs, etc., as well. Part of the new "Modern Luxury" ideal. And, probably folks will embrace it like the new M3 facia (if not already) - put off and reluctant at first, but then later say it's slowly growing on me, and find other reasons, like it's still offered with a stick, etc., in the M3's case! At least that's what Marantz is betting on, I think. ;)

Top Bottom