• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Magnepan LRS Speaker Review

Newman

Major Contributor
“these are not good speakers” is certainly an opinion. “Good” is in the ear of the beholder.
No. They are not good speakers because they do not have measurements that indicate that they will be preferred in blind listening tests. A good speaker WOULD have such measurements. It is the only way to have the actual sound waves preferred by listeners.

The rest of your post suggest that you have low comprehension of my post, and that you have not read or understood Toole’s research.

cheers

Els

Just remember post #1: these are not good speakers, even at the price, so if you are going to tart them up with subs, don’t go overboard.

ie if you are going to put lipstick on a pig, make sure it’s cheap lipstick.
“these are not good speakers” Have you owned any Magnepan speakers to make such an incredible statement.

Joe Smith

Major Contributor
I'd love to try 'em, but I just don't have the right room/furniture environment. I agree with Saturn's comments above. Speaker preference is a very individual thing. And more than many other speakers, I think Maggies need the right equipment and placement/environment to do their best.

Chaconne

A couple of years ago, YouTube reviewer Thomas & Stereo claimed to have found a $600 45/70W integrated amp that did a nice job on the original LRS. Just FYI and FWIW.

MarkS

Major Contributor
No. They are not good speakers because they do not have measurements that indicate that they will be preferred in blind listening tests. A good speaker WOULD have such measurements. It is the only way to have the actual sound waves preferred by listeners.

The rest of your post suggest that you have low comprehension of my post, and that you have not read or understood Toole’s research.
Oh please. That's ludicrously dogmatic. And yes, I have read AND understood Toole's research.

Dipole (and bipole, and omni) speakers can sound wonderful in the right set-up, even if frequency response is less than perfect. Do not mistake the average listener for all listeners, some like the dipole/bipole/omni effects more than perfect FR.

Are you aware that Floyd Toole himself chose bipolar Mirage M1 speakers for classcial music in his own home? Yes, these measured better than the maggies, but still.

Newman

Major Contributor
Oh please. That's ludicrously dogmatic. And yes, I have read AND understood Toole's research.
Excellent. Bonus points for that. I hope the rest of your post demonstrates this.
Dipole (and bipole, and omni) speakers can sound wonderful in the right set-up, even if frequency response is less than perfect. Do not mistake the average listener for all listeners, some like the dipole/bipole/omni effects more than perfect FR.
….and it all comes crashing down (the hope that you read AND understood). This is a common misunderstanding of the research. The research doesn’t say, “this is on average, and there is a wide range of individual variation so everyone has different and unique preferences”. I mean, if it did say that, it would be of almost zero value. It is better summarised as, “here are a set of speaker attributes that are almost universally preferred except for a few dB plus or minus in the bass level. There initially appeared to be quite a bit of individual variation, but once we tested the hearing of listeners and eliminated those with significant hearing damage, the variation all but disappeared.”

These Maggies don’t have those attributes.
Are you aware that Floyd Toole himself chose bipolar Mirage M1 speakers for classcial music in his own home? Yes, these measured better than the maggies, but still.
Oh yes. And here is his response.

MarkS

Major Contributor
Yes, his response is spot on: "Omni speakers are playback manipulations, and if you like them, fine."

And at least one point in his listening life, he liked them: "This is my “classical” listening room in our custom-built Canadian home. Conceived as a space for enjoying large, spatially involving, works of music, it was the largest “concert hall” I could afford at the time. The very neutral, essentially omnidirectional, Mirage M1s “became” the orchestra and the room became a seamless extension of the recorded space. It provided a very satisfying, involving, experience."

Newman

Major Contributor
Yes, his response is spot on: "Omni speakers are playback manipulations, and if you like them, fine."
That’s right. If you like brick wall compression (it’s a playback manipulation), fine. If you like 1950s car radio sound (it’s a playback manipulation), fine. If you like the sound coming out of a cheap TV (it’s a playback manipulation), fine. Toole dedicated his working life to bridging the gap between “any old sound, but if you like it, fine” and “loudspeakers with these characteristics are pretty much universally preferred by listeners”, but if you like speakers that can’t deliver that, fine. If you don’t get the point he was making, fine.
And at least one point in his listening life, he liked them: "This is my “classical” listening room in our custom-built Canadian home. Conceived as a space for enjoying large, spatially involving, works of music, it was the largest “concert hall” I could afford at the time. The very neutral, essentially omnidirectional, Mirage M1s “became” the orchestra and the room became a seamless extension of the recorded space. It provided a very satisfying, involving, experience."
That’s right, he liked them, once upon a time and in an odd room and for one type of music. He has described the one-off conditions in that singular case. He was stuck in a situation where forward firing speakers of the day had poor off-axis neutrality, and his unusual room was going to murder them. So the M1 was least-worst, but he said he paid a price in loss of imaging (a factor that his own subsequent research has shown is important to listener preference), and I suspect the further the music moved away from large-scale classical concert hall recordings, the less the setup delivered. My point: don’t make too much of an audio great choosing a certain speaker 50-60 years ago, as having much relevance today.

In closing, Dr Toole has made two other relevant points, in his book that you read and understood:-
  1. Speakers have moved onwards and upwards, A LOT, and the criteria, for knowing that a speaker delivers high sound quality, are established. Speakers that don’t meet those criteria today (hello LRS) are second-tier, irrespective of directional configuration. “All loudspeakers of all possible directional configurations were evaluated for sound quality, and the prime requirement - neutrality/absence of resonances - was equally obvious in measurements made on all directivity options.
  2. Every chance he gets, Dr Toole reminds us of adaptation. It’s good news for second-tier speaker owners in second-tier room setups, because it means we quickly auto-learn to ‘settle’ for second best and still enjoy the music. But if we get the chance to blind test them against speakers that meet the criteria to a higher degree, adaptation won’t save them, and we will pick the good ones.
cheers

Last edited:

Els

What is a good speaker? What is a good speaker?

Heyu

How important is damping factor in particular for the LRS?
My Parasound hca 1500a amp has over 1000 but some Hegel over 2000 and 4000.

Observer

How important is damping factor in particular for the LRS?
My Parasound hca 1500a amp has over 1000 but some Hegel over 2000 and 4000.
I drive LRS with two amps, AB class amp rated 190W/4ohm with low damping factor: 25, and Icepower D Class rated 300W/4 ohm, damping factor >1400.
Whit Icepower LRS sounded cleaner, bass response a bit more linear, panel is fully under control. When I use it with AB amp sound is more "loose", it suits soft jazz Some of those characteristic/change is due to damping factor difference. One of the reasons why Hegel amps pair good with LRS could be high damping factor, but I guess everything above 1000 is high enough.(for LRS)

Last edited:

Heyu

I recently saw a great price on an H390 but may be overkill with features I won't use like the dac. One reason it has to be wired to the router. My room doesn't have a router. (Don't know why they can't do wireless too) Will be only for LRS use.

rmsanger

Those Hegels are nice but I see the watts on low side. Magnepan says the amp power required varies because they have customers with lots of watts and current on their amp and others with low watts like 50 and work just fine. Idk

H160 is 150 w/pc into 8 Ohms, 250 w/pc into 4 Ohms.. Keep in mind the LRS dips down to 2.8 ohms at some areas of the FR so you'll need an amp that is stable to 2 ohms. The H160 has plenty of power, current, and damping factor to handle anything the LRS needs regardless of room size and volume. I owned the LRS and H160 combo previously and it was great. I currently own the 1.7i and Anthem STR integrated which has been a nice step up for me.

My anthem has plenty of power and rock stable at 2ohms:
  • 200 watts per channel into 8 ohms
  • 400 watts per channel into 4 ohms
  • 550 watts per channel into 2 ohms

Heyu

H160 is 150 w/pc into 8 Ohms, 250 w/pc into 4 Ohms.. Keep in mind the LRS dips down to 2.8 ohms at some areas of the FR so you'll need an amp that is stable to 2 ohms. The H160 has plenty of power, current, and damping factor to handle anything the LRS needs regardless of room size and volume. I owned the LRS and H160 combo previously and it was great. I currently own the 1.7i and Anthem STR integrated which has been a nice step up for me.

My anthem has plenty of power and rock stable at 2ohms:
  • 200 watts per channel into 8 ohms
  • 400 watts per channel into 4 ohms
  • 550 watts per channel into 2 ohms
I wonder how much better dual mono is like with the H390 having the LR channels separated from each other. Anything to expect from mono?

Mordor

It was 1992 i think, when a meet a friend also audiophile, but rich. I was 18 i think.
One day he invite me to his house, He has a Luxman Tube amp, Linn Akito i think, turntable with a Audio tecnica 9 head, and a MAGNEPLANAR 1.3!

It was a religious experience i will never forget.....we put some vinil`s, i remember Bruce Springten, War song live, and.....i could see tha man in front of me.
Even today i have this memory has one the best ones on my youth. Don`t care about lack of bass or lignes....impressive sound!

Sound86

It was 1992 i think, when a meet a friend also audiophile, but rich. I was 18 i think.
One day he invite me to his house, He has a Luxman Tube amp, Linn Akito i think, turntable with a Audio tecnica 9 head, and a MAGNEPLANAR 1.3!

It was a religious experience i will never forget.....we put some vinil`s, i remember Bruce Springten, War song live, and.....i could see tha man in front of me.
Even today i have this memory has one the best ones on my youth. Don`t care about lack of bass or lignes....impressive sound!
When I was still in university I picked up an old beat up Technics 1210 for cheap. Once I realized I could sell it for much more, I kinda began looking for vintage Hifi bargains. A few years and many speakers and other gear later, I stumbled upon a pair of Magnepan MMG for $150 and thought to myself "Okay, those look interesting (and expensive)", so naturally I picked them up. Oh boy was I flabbergasted how great they sounded with my beloved live recordings.
Still one of the most influential pickups of my Hifi journey. Sold them, when I picked up a pair of modded 2.7, which I never really liked. Should have kept the MMG :)

Mordor

Good question....it was may years ago, i think it was 1.3....but in fact i can`t found them on net...so its a false menory or wrong.

I remember they were wood on sides, and the central was gray...maybe 1.5?
Also, they weren`t completely vertical.....

Dam....i must found his phone number!

ninanina

I have owned my MG.7’s for some years and only just added 1 DWM to them

I’m absolutely blown away by the ‘thwack’ that the DWM has. Don’t get me wrong I am no bass freak but the DWM just adds to the musical experience, however the .7’s performance remains completely intact

I emailed Magnepan to check how the DWM should be hooked up and they replied promptly with how to do it correctly

The amp speaker outputs are fed ‘into’ the DWM via the ‘amp in’ sockets then out using the ‘high out’ sockets to each .7 speaker. The DWM only needs one input but the recommendation is to use two inputs, both left & right input and output

I haven’t tried tinkering with placement of the DWM; I’ve just plonked it in the middle of the MG.7’s but slightly forward of them and it sounds glorious

I paid little for my DWM but even at full retail (UK) it represents very good value

I’m sure, like me, you will be amazed what this unobtrusive little panel can do

Top Bottom