• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Magnat Transpuls 1500

Sekenenz

I might have fallen in love... without even listening to them :eek:
Has anyone had the pleasure?

Serienslider_Transpuls_1.jpg.3797ef5243ab61b8bbcc70bc8603c966.jpg

Malis

I am looking at them and they look like the speakers from my childhood. I am really drawn to them. Specs and the design looks good, but I can not find any measurements of them. It would be interesting to see how they would measure with @amirm Klippel Near-field Scanner (NFS). Because it is said that they were designed by using this same measuring device.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Website says:

Klippel-optimised system
LASER-ASSISTED MEASUREMENTS

Lots of different things are needed for the development and design of a high-quality loudspeaker: Talent, experience, passion, a profound knowledge of the laws of physics and acoustics as well as a whole range of further qualifications. Our development engineers have all of this. To ensure that they can translate their huge expertise into practice in an optimum way, they work only with the highest quality development tools. One of these is the so-called Klippel system. This laser-assisted measuring and simulation system makes measurements and predictions possible about the final loudspeaker properties with unparalleled precision even during the ongoing development process. The end result of this are loudspeakers that perform with much lower distortion, a greater wealth of detail and more intense dynamics that those measured using conventional systems.

---

Eyeball Says:

Why don't they seem to be offered as a left/right pair instead of two rights, or is it two lefts?

Malis

Well my Easter has been quite productive. Today I bought myself some speakers, and they are Magnat Transpuls 1500. They were being sold for 550 EUR second hand, with the proof of purchase and they were used for only 2 weeks in mint condition. I could not let this opportunity pass.

So my audio setup right now looks like this:

20200412_134658.jpg

20200412_140509.jpg

Amateur2020

Hello Malis,
Congratulations for your purchase. Can you tell something about how they sound?, maybe some measurements?.
Thank you.

Malis

Thanks.

From what I can tell, comparing them to my JBL 308`s:

Of course Magnat speakers have a lot more fuller sound, they seem to have some dips in mid frequencies and it definitely sounds like that. I have a Sony speaker amp loaned to me to test these new speakers and by increasing mids the sound becomes more pleasant to my ear.

JBL`s seem to be faster (some audiophile terminology). The Magnat`s do not have the fast kicks and drums as JBL`s have. But right now I would say that it is a totally new experience for me, and I am not sure if I like them. But for the price its a bargain.

I was pretty sceptical about the Magnat`s specification, it is said that the frequency range is 16 Hz to 35 kHz, which is a lie, it definitely can not play 16 Hz. But the specification does not mention how many -db is this 16 Hz, so not 100% lies :D

Regarding measurements, I will have to wait for the emergency situation to end in my country because of ''the thing''. Then I will be able to measure them and correct them with DSP.

Amateur2020

Hello Malis,
I ask you about that because I had a pair of MAGNAT TRANSPULS 1500 and I was not very happy with the sound, too much bummy and not midrange, I use DBX PA2 for EQ and this was the result:
1586759242143.png

I don't know if it happens the same to you or if it is my room.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
[..] But right now I would say that it is a totally new experience for me, and I am not sure if I like them. But for the price its a bargain.
If you don't like them the price is not a bargain.

With tweeter and mid oriented horizontal instead of vertical the designers did not care about smooth horizontal dispersion. And with identical speakers for left and right despite asymmetric tweeter/mid placement the designers did not care about symmetrical dispersion either. The designers may have used a Klippel to measure the speakers but they obviously did not care about the results of said measurements. So with 3 times 'did not care' I'm wondering who designed these speakers?

I've seen such designs in the 70's and 80's for party speakers with the intension to play loud, not good. If you want something to play loud today visit the next shop for professional musicians and get a PA speaker.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
From what I can tell, comparing them to my JBL 308`s:

Of course Magnat speakers have a lot more fuller sound, they seem to have some dips in mid frequencies and it definitely sounds like that. I have a Sony speaker amp loaned to me to test these new speakers and by increasing mids the sound becomes more pleasant to my ear.

JBL`s seem to be faster (some audiophile terminology). The Magnat`s do not have the fast kicks and drums as JBL`s have.
If you intend to keep them my advise is to disconnect the woofer from the crossover and feed it directly as a sub. You'll need another power amp and an active crossover though, so not really a cheap solution. But the sound should be the best of both worlds (clean as JBL, powerfull as Magnat)

Malis

If you don't like them the price is not a bargain.

I meant that I have a re-sale value with these speakers and I can not lose in this situation. I can listen to them and if I don`t like the sound, I can always sell them for more money than I bought them.

As I said, this is a new experience for me, but I am not sure if I enjoy them. The journey continues and I still have to refine my taste in speakers.

I live very close to Russia and I have heard a lot of praise from Russians about these speakers. Maybe it is influenced by the Russian hard bass mentality :D

too much bummy and not midrange

Well, right now I can definitely agree on the midrange part.

Last edited:

Malis

20200419_155426.jpg

Here is the filter in one of the speakers.

During ''the thing'' I dont have anything better to do. So I am disassembling them. I will try to make a video of the process.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Typical for such speakers is the dome of the woofer. It's much bigger than the voice coil and suggests a woofer with a much bigger voice coil and more power.

Malis

20200504_205328.jpg

Here is a size comparison against JBL-308`s and a post soviet countries yardstick in audio, Radiotehnika - S90.

I am making some listening sessions with several other speakers and Magnat 1500`s are not as bad as I thought they would be. But comparing to my friends JBL E100 (they have custom made filters and mids speaker) Magnat speakers lack some highs and mids, also bass is more punchy on the JBL`s.

Magnat Transpuls 1500 (3).jpg

Also I compared them to Focal`s. Strangely the highs seemed to be better on Magnat speakers. Also I compared Focal against JBL 308`s, and highs were better on Focals, but the bass lacked on them compared to JBL`s.

Magnat Transpuls 1500 (10).JPG

Malis

Well, just sold my Magnat Transpulses because I bought myself new speakers. I bought Magnat Quantum 1009 secondhand. Does anyone have them? I compared them side by side and Quantum speakers blew me away, a lot better separation and bass is tighter, and the highs, a lot crisper.

Last edited:

escape2

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Old thread, I know, but I just came across this Transpuls 1500 "review" so I started researching them and found this thread. Seems like these speakers have been around in Europe for a long time, but are only now reaching the US. They certainly have that retro appeal. Robinson seems to be raving about them, but without any measurements, this is of limited value. And based on what I've read in this thread, they may be far from neutral. Cool to look at. Maybe OK as garage speakers?

Malis

I had them for a while, maybe two years ago. I sold them. I enjoyed their look, the sound was not on par with my other speakers. They are more like a design element that`s why Robinson likes them(only subjective opinion), from sound point they are OK, but nothing stellar. I measured them in my room, and the spec sheet of 16 Hz low extension is a joke :D

I bought them new almost two years ago for 600 EUR, that must be like 700 USD. For that price they are a steal, but I am more prone to a second hand market and go for the deals on Hifishark.

Top Bottom