• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

M-Audio Air Hub USB DAC & Headphone Amp Review

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
This is a review and detailed measurements of the M-Audio Air Hub USB DAC and Headphone amplifier plus a USB hub (and hence the name). It was kindly purchased by a member and drop shipped to me. The Air Hub costs just US $69. So the question is, do we have a bargain jewel on our hand? Let's find out.

From controls point of view, the Aid Hub has a lovely, large volume control on top with excellent feel:

M-Audio Air Hub USB DAC Headphone Amp Audio Review.jpg

Sadly the large knob only controls line out. It has no impact on headphone out which has its own little volume control in the front.

I did not test the USB hub. You have see one, you have seen them all.

Here is the back panel connectivity:
Best Pro Audio Interface 2020 Back panel outputs inputs Review.jpg

There is a beefy 3 amp 5 volt adapter that powers the unit. Sadly, as the measurements showed later, it has nothing to do with the audio subsystem of the Air Hub! It is only there to power the USB-hub. The unit work without the power supply. I tested it with the supply plugged in but at the end, tested without and it made no difference whatsoever.

M-Audio provides an ASIO driver by itself which I appreciated. Windows also accepts the DAC without a driver. I used M-Audio ASIO for all of my tests.

DAC Measurements
As usual, we start with out dashboard with volume set to max. I only had one TRS to RCA cable for testing so I only tested one channel of the DAC:

M-Audio Air Hub USB DAC Audio Measurements.png

I think this is one of the most broken dashboard views I have seen. For one, we can't even get 1 volt of output let alone nominal 2 volt that it should produce for unbalanced. As you see in the FFT spectrum display, our 1 kHz tone has given birth to tons of other spikes in addition to a broad "skirt" under our tone. These indicate severe clocking error. Indeed, I would see the Frequency counter jump up and down constantly. Maybe it uses synchronous USB and chases the poor USB clock for its DAC? If so, that is horrible as even $9 dongles run asynchronously these days.

SINAd which represents distortion+noise is in toilet as well:
Best Pro Audio Interface 2020 Review.png

Dynamic range is "OK" at 15 bits:
M-Audio Air Hub USB DAC Dynamic Range Audio Measurements.png

IMD test shows high noise and distortion levels:
M-Audio Air Hub USB DAC IMD Audio Measurements.png

The jitter test shows us the horror that was awaiting us:
M-Audio Air Hub USB DAC Jitter Audio Measurements.png

The above test averages 16 runs to reduce noise so that we can see the spikes. If I reset the Air Hub and just capture the first instance I get a much cleaner output:
M-Audio Air Hub USB DAC Jitter one pass Audio Measurements.png

Don't mind the bottom as that is what goes away if you average 16 times. As you see there is zero jitter. Sadly if you let the DAC keep running, it then screws up its own clock, causing the jitter you see in the previous graph in blue.

I think we better stop here before depressing ourselves even more.

Headphone Out Measurements
For grins, I ran one test of power using 300 ohm load:
M-Audio Air Hub USB DAC Headphone Power into 300 ohm Audio Measurements.png

What? Just 1.5 milliwatts of power? Are these guys kidding? This is when I realized that the external power supply is not used. As a result of that, and poor implementation, the Air Hub simply doesn't have any power output.

Conclusions
The volume control on the M-Audio Air Hub is excellent. Sadly the good news ends there. It seems they took an obsolete laptop USB DAC chip ("CODEC") and stuffed in there and called it done. No effort was made to build a quality audio product. Shame. The M-Audio company that I know from back in 1990s was a high-end audio company. After changing hands twice, it seems to be building trash. Avoid at all costs.

Wait. There is one use for this device. Buy it, use the case and volume control to build your own DAC! Outside of that, I can't possibly recommend the M-Audio Air Hub.

What a poor way to end our year. Shame on you M-Audio! :(

------------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

It has been a great year folks. I hope you all have a fantastic new year. No need to send any money but if you insist, here is the link: : https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/

tsanguine

Forum Donor
I purchased this and send it to Amir hoping for something just passable and functional. I don't think it's even that. I have had Amir measure two devices that may be two of the biggest disappointments so far. I held M-Audio in much higher esteem until now. Now I have to figure out what I want to do with it. I will likely send it back to Sweetwater and likely emailing M-Audio. As always, thanks Amir.

Jim777

Forum Donor
I stopped recommending M-Audio many years ago for a different reason, their track record on supporting devices was horrible (like drivers for new versions of windows). Don't know if that has changed since.

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
I stopped recommending M-Audio many years ago for a different reason, their track record on supporting devices was horrible (like drivers for new versions of windows). Don't know if that has changed since.
I used their soundcards for a while. Same issues with drivers. Terrible time getting them to run.

tsanguine

Forum Donor
A big knob for line out, and a teeny-weeny one for the headphone volume.
How frightfully odd.

On the other hand, I am transported back to the 1970s, the great era of big hifi volume control knobs.
:)

Luxman L-85V by NukaKimi, on Flickr
(not my Luxman... unfortunately)

DSC_6689_z by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

PS Happy New Year to y'all, too!
One of the main reason's I purchased it was for it's knobs.

RickSanchez

Major Contributor
Cartographer
A big knob for line out, and a teeny-weeny one for the headphone volume.
How frightfully odd.

On the other hand, I am transported back to the 1970s, the great era of big hifi volume control knobs.

Luxman L-85V by NukaKimi, on Flickr
(not my Luxman... unfortunately)

DSC_6689_z by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

PS Happy New Year to y'all, too!

Agreed! I'm a huge fan of the big knobs, switches, and buttons from the 70's. The volume and tuner knobs on my hk670 in particular have such great feel it's a joy to use them. For that piece I don't miss having a remote at all.

IMG_6386_cropped.jpg

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It just goes to show that audio fidelity is only a part of this hobby.

spacevector

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
The knob works even better than the one on JDS Labs EL! The mechanical engineer did a great job here. It is the electronics that are a disaster.
Perhaps the poor ME was given the entire design project.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
The knob works even better than the one on JDS Labs EL! The mechanical engineer did a great job here. It is the electronics that are a disaster.
Wouldn't one love to read a statement like this in a Stereophile review? :)

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Agreed! I'm a huge fan of the big knobs, switches, and buttons from the 70's. The volume and tuner knobs on my hk670 in particular have such great feel it's a joy to use them. For that piece I don't miss having a remote at all.

View attachment 44272
Nice piece of hardware, the hk670, seldom seen when new and even less common nowadays. Kind of unusual aesthetics for its time.
I knew a postdoc when I was in grad school who had one. He might even have it still...

glabson

I have one of these. Not this USB type C one. The old one, type B one. Fortunately, I didn't purchase it, but got it for free from a church where it was being used. (This has a push-pull balanced stereo output, and it served its purpose kinda well at the church for a while.)

I never thought someone measure this... things. The poor performance can be heard immediately, and there are times when stable playback is just impossible without using a good USB controller and a good quality USB cable. I mean, you really need to use above average grade USB cable. It really matters. lol

The feel of the huge volume knob is great, and the USB hub is useful for simple uses, so I am making this into a passive volume attenuator & USB hub. I have been leisurely collecting the necessary parts for a while now. Sadly, building a DAC by myself is beyond my capabilities.

I couldn't help but laugh when I saw the headless panther.

Last edited:
Top Bottom