• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Lyngdorf TDAI-1120 questions

stevoknevo

Has anyone been able to run apple airplay stream higher than 16/44,1 mode? This seems to be a default resolution for stream uptake regardless of the media quality from Apple Music.
That's purely a limitation of Airplay (and apparently it's not always lossless despite being 16/44.1)
Nope, almost all LED burned out in my case, this seems to be a frequent problem. I personally have issues sending it back, so probably will have to give up, unless DIY solution comes up. It is pity to see such problems on a device of this price.
I wouldn't go as far to say it's a frequent problem, yours waas the second 1120 I've heard of it happening with (and now a third unit above with @Oblomov ) - Lyngdorf repaired the other one quickly at no expense to the owner, however for whatever are your own reasons, you're unable to return it to be repaired ‍♂️

kakaze74

Hi, I’m thinking to get TDAI-1120 for my KEF R700, I read almost all of the previous pages and seen 1120 can handle many floorstand even with bigger woofer than KEF R 700 (5” Uni-Q driver with 2x6.5” woofer), but mostly with higher efficiency speakers or using subwoofer. What concern me is this stereophile measurement:

“estimate of the KEF R700's B-weighted voltage sensitivity was 87dB(B)/2.83V/m, which is 2dB lower than the specified 89dB/2.83V/m. KEF specifies the R700's impedance as 8 ohms with a minimum magnitude of 3.2 ohms. My own measurement shows that the minimum impedance, which includes the impedance of 10' of speaker cable, was 3.3 ohms at 145Hz. The impedance magnitude remains between 4 and 6 ohms for almost all of the audioband, but the electrical phase angle is generally benign”

Stereophile KEF R700 Measurement

Currently I’m using Sonos Amp that according to amir measurement have 209 watt @4ohm, listening in my 30sq meter room at average 74db required volume in sonos app mostly 60 but up to 72 if recording quality is not so good

I’m quite nervous to purchase this, since not only I can’t try them, I even have to buy them from other country, since there are no Lyngdorf dealer in my country. So you guys think 1120 would be sufficient for a pair of KEF R700 ?

Last edited:

Tassin

Sure. The 1120 will easily drive your R700.

According to the Stereophile measurements, the R700 is a 4 Ohm speaker. In a 30 m² room, I'll assume you'll be listening at max 4 meters.

With a measured sensitivity of 87 dB, desired SPL of 74 dB at 4 m, and reserving 15 dB of headroom, any amp would need to be able to produce 25 W. Into 4 Ohm the 1120 can produce 120 W (spec, according to measurements up to 136 W).

Or, with a desired SPL of 86 dB at 4 m and 10 dB of headroom, you would need an amp that can deliver 127 W.

Mr. Widget

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Assuming the posted measured maximum power levels are correct, the difference in SPL between 136W and 209W is about 2dB... an audible but not a make or break it difference.

stevoknevo

Sure. The 1120 will easily drive your R700.

According to the Stereophile measurements, the R700 is a 4 Ohm speaker. In a 30 m² room, I'll assume you'll be listening at max 4 meters.

With a measured sensitivity of 87 dB, desired SPL of 74 dB at 4 m, and reserving 15 dB of headroom, any amp would need to be able to produce 25 W. Into 4 Ohm the 1120 can produce 120 W (spec, according to measurements up to 136 W).

Or, with a desired SPL of 86 dB at 4 m and 10 dB of headroom, you would need an amp that can deliver 127 W.
Agreed Tassin, I think it'll power the KEF very well, I've got a similar sized room and had it been a proper 8ohm nominal speaker that's capable of accepting/needs a lot power I'd say no chance without subs, but as you say, the R700 are 4ohm regardless of what they say and the 1120 will drive them nicely without subs, but even better with a sub/subs...(that's for OP's benefit Tassin *wink)
@kakaze74 the 1120 is essentially a powered DAC and the sound doesn't distort as you increase the volume, it just gets louder - but I would suggest in time if you have the space/funds to get a sub...but preferably two! and let Room Perfect do it's thing and tie it all together, what I will say is that I now run out of bottle around -5 on the volume dial and that's solely for antisocial behaviour reasons rather than 'oh f*ck I'm going to destroy something here, probably the house and my relationship with the neighbour...and make friends with the polis".
I'm sitting about 5.75m away currently and my crappy android SPL monitor is reporting average 75 SPL with peaks into low 80s at -20 on the dial (and and it can go to +12 - you can also attenuate all sources by ±12db, and is capable of delivering 30amp)

Screenshot_20240502-164913.png
Screenshot_20240502-165613.png

kakaze74

Thanks for the respons @Tassin @Mr. Widget @stevoknevo . Due to my limited knowledge I’m a bit confused regarding the concensus above that KEF R700 as 4ohm speakers (hence 1120 power could cope), doesn’t it means that it’ll be harder to drive than if it is really 8ohm speakers ?

Last edited:

Moonbase

Thanks for the respons @Tassin @Mr. Widget @stevoknevo . Due to my limited knowledge I’m a bit confused regarding the concensus above that KEF R700 as 4ohm speakers (hence 1120 power could cope), doesn’t it means that it’ll be harder to drive than if it is really 8ohm speakers ?
Most Lyngdorf speakers are 4ohm and for that matter many modern speakers are around 4ohm or in the R700s slightly less. The 1120 can push 30amps out so more able in a small/medium to drive a sensitive speaker like the R700(89db). I would go as far to say 4ohm speakers are the preferred option.

stevoknevo

And I should have mentioned in my post that the Lyngdorf FR-1 speakers I have are 4ohm/89db - the 1120 is 60w into 8ohm and 120w into 4ohm, your speakers dip to 3.2ohm at certain frequencies and the 1120 can handle that easily.

But that's not what makes it a great amp, it's Room Perfect, adjustable voicings, comprehensive streaming functionality, and it all just works reliably.

However if you're having second thoughts because there's no dealers in your country then maybe consider something that does have dealer support in your country.

kakaze74

But that's not what makes it a great amp, it's Room Perfect, adjustable voicings, comprehensive streaming functionality, and it all just works reliably.

Indeed, this is exactly why I really exercising to get 1120, despite they have 50% less power than my existing amp (manufacture spec). Thanks

Last edited:

kakaze74

Most Lyngdorf speakers are 4ohm and for that matter many modern speakers are around 4ohm or in the R700s slightly less. The 1120 can push 30amps out so more able in a small/medium to drive a sensitive speaker like the R700(89db). I would go as far to say 4ohm speakers are the preferred option.
Noted. Thanks

Top Bottom