• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

LS50 meta's plus sub vs More expensive speakers

KMO

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Not really, it is mid-range limited.

Right, but towers will have more capable midranges to keep up with the bass drivers. The LS50's Uni-Q was no doubt engineered knowing where it would hit excursion limits.

I'm looking at KEF's spec sheets. They show a clear progression of sensitivity and volume as you work your way up:
  • LS50 Meta: 85dB sensitivity, 106dB max
  • R3: 87dB sensitivity, 110dB max
  • R11: 90dB sensitivity, 113dB max
  • Blade: 91dB sensitivity, 117dB max
One range of towers sharing a midrange is going to have a top-end volume/sensitivity limit determined by that midrange, but lower models in a range like the R3 are going to be output limited by the lack of bass drivers, and have that midrange's sensitivity reduced in crossover to match.

PS I note the LS50 Wireless II does push up to 108dB full-range with its intelligent bass extension. That does suggest at least 108dB should be possible above an HPF in the LS50 Meta. If you too use a 200W amplifier like the Wireless II...

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Right, but towers will have more capable midranges to keep up with the bass drivers. The LS50's Uni-Q was no doubt engineered knowing where it would hit excursion limits.

I'm looking at KEF's spec sheets. They show a clear progression of sensitivity and volume as you work your way up:
  • LS50 Meta: 85dB sensitivity, 106dB max
  • R3: 87dB sensitivity, 110dB max
  • R11: 90dB sensitivity, 113dB max
  • Blade: 91dB sensitivity, 117dB max
One range of towers sharing a midrange is going to have a top-end volume/sensitivity limit determined by that midrange, but lower models in a range like the R3 are going to be output limited by the bass drivers, and have that midrange's sensitivity reduced in crossover to match.

PS I note the LS50 Wireless II does push up to 108dB full-range with its intelligent bass extension. That does suggest at least 108dB should be possible above an HPF in the LS50 Meta. If you too use a 200W amplifier like the Wireless II...

I honestly wouldn't take KEF's sensitivity ratings at face value, specially after Erin reviewed the R2c (allegedly 87.5 @ 2.83V).

1629795768626.png

The addition of an extra bass driver compared to the R3 did nothing at all to the sensitivity.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I honestly wouldn't KEF's sensitivity ratings at face value, specially after Erin reviewed the R2c (allegedly 87.5 @ 2.83V).
KEF states the R2c also with 87 dB (2,83 V / m), same as the R3, according to above plot its around 85-87 depending on the range and averaging.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Why, KEF states the R2c also with 87 dB (2,83 V / m), same as the R3.

it's 84.8 dB in reality, and like i said, the addition of an extra woofer on top of the R3 did not increase sensitivity, I doubt the towers show any significant difference in sensitivity.

KMO

KEF didn't claim the R2C had greater sensitivity than the R3. They spec it the same 87dB. The R2c and R3 aren't directly comparable - it's sealed versus ported.

It does look like KEF have a tendency to quote a number based on the high part of the frequency response - they show all the FR curves for the range in the R series white paper. And looking at them, yep, if the highest plateau is 90dB, they'll call it 90dB, even if the 100Hz-20kHz average clearly isn't.

But they do that consistently, and the sensitivity curves are progressively higher in each model.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
KEF didn't claim the R2C had greater sensitivity than the R3.

No, but you claimed that the addition of more bass drivers will raise the sensitivity, but from the data we have that is not necessarily the case. the R2C should theoritically have 3dB higher sensitivity than the R3.

The R2c and R3 aren't directly comparable - it's sealed versus ported.

Ofcourse we can compare them, the R2c's woofers roll-off more quickly.

1629796559990.png

1629796574371.png

KMO

No, but you claimed that the addition of more bass drivers will raise the sensitivity, but from the data we have that is not necessarily the case. the R2C should theoritically have 3dB higher sensitivity than the R3.

More bass drivers gives you the potential for more sensitivity. In which case the other drivers will need to be made more sensitive to match.

But if you're changing other things, like cabinet volume and adding/removing ports, then there will be other factors.

But in the R2C's case they're actually smaller drivers! 2x130mm rather than 1x165mm. That's only 24% more bass driver area, so it wouldn't even be enough for 1dB anyway.

The dual drivers gives symmetry, and the slightly increased area presumably counteracts lack of port, but it's not enough to make it louder.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

If you would pay a little extra attention, you would see the sensitivity dropping off in the mids and highs as you progressively add more bass drivers, with the R3 being the flattest accross the board. Also i just realized how solid the reference line-up is! really state of the art.

KMO

I find it hard to discern the trend - the waves seem different in each measurement. Bass is clearly going up monotonically, but the mid and upper vary.

If anything it looks like the tweeter is failing to keep up.

R11 and R3 have massively different midrange, but R5 and R7 look very similar. Looks like R7 could do with a midrange boost.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
If you would pay a little extra attention, you would see the sensitivity dropping off in the mids and highs as you progressively add more bass drivers, with the R3 being the flattest accross the board. Also i just realized how solid the reference line-up is! really state of the art.
The higher models are truly tuned warmer but even there for example the R11 is around 87-88 dB while the R3 is around 85dB. Obviously the first number is the limit of sensitivity of the used Uni-Q.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I find it hard to discern the trend - the waves seem different in each measurement. Bass is clearly going up monotonically, but the mid and upper vary.

If anything it looks like the tweeter is failing to keep up.

R11 and R3 have massively different midrange, but R5 and R7 look very similar. Looks like R7 could do with a midrange boost.

if you focus on the listening window (blue), it's less messy so you can better look for trends.

KMO

FWIW, here's the 3-way crossover from the R-series paper - you can see resistors R1 and R2 that lower the mid and tweeter levels in the Uni-Q, with the bass drivers determining overall sensitivity.

R series crossover.PNG

(Perhaps the R11 might not have R2 if it was well-designed enough that the midrange precisely matches the bass drivers in that 4x165mm config?)

In the LS50 Meta, the midbass determines sensitivity, with the tweeter being lowered by R1.

Crossover.png

Ata

Forum Donor
The KEF 3-way coaxial driver is quite different though to the LS50 and other 2-way models one though, having only a tiny surround so it has to be crossed quite high(er).

The design does appear different between the Rx's and LS50/M, but isn't that primarily in the flange/suspension and overall woofer diameter? I think the tweeter waveguide is identical in size and shape.

Colonel7

Ultrasonic

My advice would be SVS PB-1000 Pro. I can vouch for SVS's current line-up (ported or not) easily. Only this model got high-level input. So with Hegel, it's your only choice in the current SVS line-up.

Apologies if I've missed that someone else has already mentioned this but the Hegel H120 has pre-amp outputs and so there is no need for a high-level connection here.

Colonel7

this is amazing! thanks for sharing! 12dB slope is a bit slow though, wish there were more slopes option.
You're welcome. I thought they made 24db too but I can't find any. Most of the reviews that rate them low seem to misjudge the pass db per octave or mistakenly think it's a brick wall.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The design does appear different between the Rx's and LS50/M, but isn't that primarily in the flange/suspension and overall woofer diameter? I think the tweeter waveguide is identical in size and shape.
Yes, I meant above the surround of the mid/woofer not the tweeter.

Top Bottom