• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

LP for EQ

AdamFrandsen

I am in the process of designing a 12 band LC EQ for the analogue side of my setup - between phono stage and preamp (MiniDSP is used before the DAC), and I am looking for an LP with sweeps/test tones etc., so I can still do the measurements with my UMIK 2 for setting the EQ. I haven’t had any luck so far browsing the net, maybe some of you know of one. Thanks in advance! -A

staticV3

Master Contributor
@stereoplay compared a bunch of different test records in this thread:

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
This "APPENDIX" post lists 3 test records (which may be out-of-print but still available).

You can also just Google "vinyl test record". It looks like Ortofon still makes one, which presumably they use to test their cartridges.

P.S.
Records vary, and I'm sure the test records vary too. So, I'm not sure it's worth all the trouble. You are probably better-off EQ-ing by-ear for whatever "sounds good", and maybe differently for different recordings.

staticV3

Master Contributor
That being said, you're gonna have to play around with REW's RTA settings to get acceptable results using foreign sweeps.

I haven't tried this yet as I could always use pink noise or REW's own measurement sweep as stimulus.

MCH

Major Contributor
Just curious, and sorry if I am missing something obvious. Any reason why you can't unplug your phono stage and use a dac just for the measurements? I guess a cheap dongle or whatever you have at hand can do the job and might be easier and cheaper than procuring a test record.

OP
AdamFrandsen

AdamFrandsen

Just curious, and sorry if I am missing something obvious. Any reason why you can't unplug your phono stage and use a dac just for the measurements? I guess a cheap dongle or whatever you have at hand can do the job and might be easier and cheaper than procuring a test record.
I can use an ADC for measuring the signal itself, but not how it sounds at my listening position - I also cannot play the dac through my phono stage or account for any characteristics of the turntable itself with the dac.

MCH

Major Contributor
I can use an ADC for measuring the signal itself, but not how it sounds at my listening position - I also cannot play the dac through my phono stage or account for any characteristics of the turntable itself with the dac.
Probably I am not following. What I mean is to use a dac to generate the analog sweep from a computer instead of using a test record. You would still use the rest of the system and measure with the microphone from the listening position.

levimax

Major Contributor
I am in the process of designing a 12 band LC EQ for the analogue side of my setup - between phono stage and preamp (MiniDSP is used before the DAC), and I am looking for an LP with sweeps/test tones etc., so I can still do the measurements with my UMIK 2 for setting the EQ. I haven’t had any luck so far browsing the net, maybe some of you know of one. Thanks in advance! -A
Test records are all flawed to a greater or lesser degree. See link below for a discussion of some test records. The thread from the beginning contains a lot of information you might find useful. In my case I used a test record to measure the response of my TT system with the script. This is going to be a lot more accurate than trying to measure the output with a Microphone. From the script I create a FIR filter to adjust the TT output and I use a Mic and REW to measure the rest of the system (speakers and room) with accurate test tones for EQ.

OP
AdamFrandsen

AdamFrandsen

Probably I am not following. What I mean is to use a dac to generate the analog sweep from a computer instead of using a test record. You would still use the rest of the system and measure with the microphone from the listening position.
Yes, I understand:

Digital part of my system: Mono block power amps, preamp, dac, dsp, streamer, source
Analog part of my system: Mono block power amps, preamp, equaliser, phono stage, pickup, turntable, lp source

If I measure with a DAC only, it wont take into account the sound characteristics of the analogue side (phono stage, pickup, turntable). If I run the analogue signal through an ADC and use that to measure, I wont get the sound of my listening position. What I will do is likely both, record the signal to my computer through an ADC and also take measurements with the mic at listening position and then compare to get a fuller picture, before using the eq.

Last edited:
Top Bottom