• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Loxjie A30 Amplifier Review

Kuppenbender

Forum Donor
From what I read they are both not particularly efficient speakers, but not inneficient neither. How close are you to your bookshelves? This kind of power is suitable for desktop/nearfield setup, very small room, or if you like quiet listening
Quick and dirty test in wooden summerhouse, cranked the A30 up to 48 (not sure what it goes up to), but the SPL meter app on my iPad showed 90db 3m (9ft) from speakers.

Loud enough for me.

hestejoe

From what I read they are both not particularly efficient speakers, but not inneficient neither. How close are you to your bookshelves? This kind of power is suitable for desktop/nearfield setup, very small room, or if you like quiet listening

I would probably be 1-3 meters away most of the time. However I have not yet set up, as I am currently considering whether I should by some smaller active monitors such as the JBL 305p mkii or Kali LP-6 or just buy some used speakers and an amp. I am currently working abroad so I would like a setup that is either cheap, something can take with me or sell again without huge losses.

Quick and dirty test in wooden summerhouse, cranked the A30 up to 48 (not sure what it goes up to), but the SPL meter app on my iPad showed 90db 3m (9ft) from speakers.

Loud enough for me.
I would surely not need more than that either. What kind of speakers do you have?

Savi

I use the A30 with a pair of vintage Cabasse Brick M9 (93.5 db/W) (I had for 100€ years ago) in my bedroom (around 22 sqm with 3m ceiling height) and I have more than enough sound level.
For the moment I am happy with the device, plug and play with my phone in bluetooth or a raspi in coaxial) and the sound quality is above my expectations.

Kuppenbender

Forum Donor
I would surely not need more than that either. What kind of speakers do you have?
20 year old B&W LM1’s - sensitivity 91dB spl (2.83V, 1m)
A7757169-1EE5-4C51-8E23-49C6087D78DE.jpeg

Dogen

Forum Donor
Nice little amp! Good to see some ground being regained in speaker amps at the lower price levels.

So, how are we pronouncing “Loxjie”?

A Surfer

Major Contributor
The only issue that would be a factor for me is the need for a sub with quite a bit of music that I listen to. I could go without one I imagine if I could find a well enough designed, but affordable smallish bookshelf that could get down to 40Hz with reasonable output. Sure I would miss some of the deepest bass, but if the mid bass still had some punch and the extension was ok I could live with that for a micro secondary system. I would just use my phone as a source. Could be fun.

laudio

From the numbers provided, this amp does have an abysmal Headphone Amplification. Is it possible to purchase a headphone amp and use this as a DAC? I know the DAC performance in this isn't great but it's ok for now until I get something better. I have an AKG K371, would something like Schitt Heresy be a good option to drive those headphone?

Maybe look at loxjie D30 instead.

Helicopter

Major Contributor
At a guess, nearly all of it? ;) (Unless those tubes are filled with fairy-farts and the pins made of cryo-treated unobtanium, then maybe not).

The better question is if, and how much, you notice the difference between the topologies themselves? My ears can barely tell the difference (and they don't care much), but my back can definitely tell the difference (and it couldn't be happier).

Seems like the A30 paired with something cheap (but efficient) would be a great setup to leave in a cabin or vacation home... even if it got stolen... it would be the cheapest possible replacement. Of course, since it also fits in your pocket... not really a problem to chuck in a suitcase either, so meh.
I am not planning to leave it there long term. I will move it to my desk at some point. I just want to play a bit. Similar sound is sort of what I am expecting. It is an amp...

Locks-Jay is a good way to anglocize it. So is Locks-G

I am not even sure what Chinese sylable would end 'ox' though. I think lox is a two syllable word phrase in Chinese, but I dont remember enough to figure it out. The 'jie' is pronounced jee-yeh... not really a sound we make in English, but also not too hard to get right... and it will have tones in Chinese of course.

Last edited:

Cahudson42

Major Contributor
Besides Amirs' points, spring terminals on a big "conventional hi-fi" Yamaha versus screw terminals on small Loxjie box.. the world is upside down! :facepalm:
True. But it should be easy to solder some Tube Connectors to the spring terminals..Seems they are still available for $59 for a set of 4 :)

.s638767443403344765_p44_i7_w1618.jpeg

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Does anyone know if the same kind of product, but with more power, is to be released by Loxjie at some point?

18 W under 8 ohm is kinda... poor.

Helicopter

Major Contributor
They are not even comparable. If you are running a CD deck, a DVD player, a tape deck, an LP player with built in RIA, in a big stack into 87dB/W tower speakers 15 feet across the room, you buy the Yamaha; if you are running 5" 2 way bookshelves from 4 feet on a desk with the amp under you computer monitor, or running bookshelves in the bedroom from a new Samsung TV that only has Toslink out, with the amp on a dresser, you get the Loxjie. They are quite different products, and there is not one that is simply better.

geoemm

I think I am going to try this with my Focal Aria 948s for a while, and if it works, which I think it probably will, then run it for a few weeks like that... I wonder how much less power it will use than my class A SET 845 tube amp.:p
Pls let us know, I am now thinking this +aria 906 could be a good combo

laudio

Agree they are different products marketed toward different use cases. What makes the A30 interesting (to me at least) is most low cost class D do not have tone controls or EQ. That's one step closer to a real integrated (no matter what anyone says you need tone controls the small speakers they get paired with). Loxjie take note - make a larger form factor integrated with that nice display and remote (excellent functionality), add another analog input, and upgrade the power section to something like TPA3255. All that seems reasonable while keeping cost lower, and it would be a nice product.

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Agree they are different products marketed toward different use cases. What makes the A30 interesting (to me at least) is most low cost class D do not have tone controls or EQ. That's one step closer to a real integrated (no matter what anyone says you need tone controls the small speakers they get paired with). Loxjie take note - make a larger form factor integrated with that nice display and remote (excellent functionality), add another analog input, and upgrade the power section to something like TPA3255. All that seems reasonable while keeping cost lower, and it would be a nice product.
I really want to see parametric EQ at some point. That can be huge once added to something like this. I am not sure how big a form factor you want with chips... seems to me you dont really need a 17 inch stereo class D amp at all except for tradition, and anything much bigger than this should be higher power, modular, mains in, etc.

infinitesymphony

Major Contributor
The only issue that would be a factor for me is the need for a sub with quite a bit of music that I listen to. I could go without one I imagine if I could find a well enough designed, but affordable smallish bookshelf that could get down to 40Hz with reasonable output. Sure I would miss some of the deepest bass, but if the mid bass still had some punch and the extension was ok I could live with that for a micro secondary system. I would just use my phone as a source. Could be fun.
Looks like it has a subwoofer output labeled "SW OUT."

Top Bottom