• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Loxjie A30 Amplifier Review

CauliflowerEars

In case anyone is interested, I recently tried this exact setup (Computer USB output routed through a USB-Toslink converter (Douk Audio U2) then connected to Loxjie A30 via Optical input) and found the sound to be noticeably improved in comparison to connecting to the Loxjie directly via it's USB input.

For context, I bought the Loxjie A30 about a month ago intending use it for 2 purposes: 1) As part of a desktop system connected directly to my Mac via USB, and 2) As part of multi-room system connected directly to a standalone music streamer via digital input (coaxial).

I immediately noticed that audio files played through my Mac via USB had a slightly lower volume output than identical files played through the streamer, which I assumed had something to do with the output levels of each device. But even when I adjusted the volume to compensate, I noticed that the sound played through the USB connection was noticeably less clear and dynamic than the digital connection, and couldn't figure out why.

More out of curiosity than anything, I decided to see if I could find some way to convert the USB signal to optical or coaxial in order to connect to a different input on the Loxjie. I honestly wasn't expecting much difference if any, but after converting the input signal, the difference was immediately apparent - much fuller and clearer. Like not subtle.

In addition, I noticed that when connected via the USB input, the display merely says "connected" but when routed through the optical converter it displays the actual output signal (44.1KHz, etc.)

I can only conclude that the device is set up in such a way that the signal received via USB input is processed differently than the other inputs. Why they would do it that way I have no idea, but I don't know how else to explain it.

Overall, I still think it's a great sounding little unit and don't regret buying it, but just be aware that if you are considering this device and planning to use the USB connection as your primary input, you may be disappointed unless you're willing to shell out some extra $$ for a USB/Toslink converter.
This is crazy. For the price of Douk Audio U2, might as well buy a streamer and do direct Toslink connection between the two devices.
Such unintuitive differences in Sound Quality (and information) are annoying (and bad for the manufacturer).

I'm about to receive both the Loxjie A30 and Aiyima A07 + Topping E30 II (Lite) to test for my 2nd (cheap) setup.
Was about to test only using the USB inputs, but sounds like it's better to do Toslink as well.

jdg78

This is crazy. For the price of Douk Audio U2, might as well buy a streamer and do direct Toslink connection between the two devices.
Such unintuitive differences in Sound Quality (and information) are annoying (and bad for the manufacturer).
It's a definite design flaw and I wouldn't necessarily recommend this unit if you're planning to connect via USB. Via Toslink or coaxial it sounds fine.

In any case, there have been a number of similar DAC/Speaker Amps released over the past few years that perform just as well without the USB issue.

CauliflowerEars

It's a definite design flaw and I wouldn't necessarily recommend this unit if you're planning to connect via USB. Via Toslink or coaxial it sounds fine.

In any case, there have been a number of similar DAC/Speaker Amps released over the past few years that perform just as well without the USB issue.
Ah, which of those DAC/Speaker Amps would you say? I’m open to suggestions.

Ismapics

In case anyone is interested, I recently tried this exact setup (Computer USB output routed through a USB-Toslink converter (Douk Audio U2) then connected to Loxjie A30 via Optical input) and found the sound to be noticeably improved in comparison to connecting to the Loxjie directly via it's USB input.

For context, I bought the Loxjie A30 about a month ago intending use it for 2 purposes: 1) As part of a desktop system connected directly to my Mac via USB, and 2) As part of multi-room system connected directly to a standalone music streamer via digital input (coaxial).

I immediately noticed that audio files played through my Mac via USB had a slightly lower volume output than identical files played through the streamer, which I assumed had something to do with the output levels of each device. But even when I adjusted the volume to compensate, I noticed that the sound played through the USB connection was noticeably less clear and dynamic than the digital connection, and couldn't figure out why.

More out of curiosity than anything, I decided to see if I could find some way to convert the USB signal to optical or coaxial in order to connect to a different input on the Loxjie. I honestly wasn't expecting much difference if any, but after converting the input signal, the difference was immediately apparent - much fuller and clearer. Like not subtle.

In addition, I noticed that when connected via the USB input, the display merely says "connected" but when routed through the optical converter it displays the actual output signal (44.1KHz, etc.)

I can only conclude that the device is set up in such a way that the signal received via USB input is processed differently than the other inputs. Why they would do it that way I have no idea, but I don't know how else to explain it.

Overall, I still think it's a great sounding little unit and don't regret buying it, but just be aware that if you are considering this device and planning to use the USB connection as your primary input, you may be disappointed unless you're willing to shell out some extra $$ for a USB/Toslink converter.
I dont want to disparage on your experience, but saying something sounds better or worst, we all know it's completely subjective without any measurements, Hence the ethos of this Forum. Every time we tweak, change, move or substitute, the human element will always be there. I have never heard anyone change or tweak to say, that did not work, at least at first. Worst offender are DACs and Speaker Cables. So again with all due respect, I am sure your perception is on the right track as it's what you like, no one else will. be happier. I do it too.

About my A30 experience, I use my A30 with an M1 Mac mini and an Intel Mac mini before that. Currently with a pair of Elac Debut Reference. The intel one was connected using Apple Toslink, and the M1 USB. My files are ALLC 16/44. I dont bother with any over that as no one can hear a difference. To me they sound perfectly fine, I have no measurements but it works as described.

Hope you keep enjoying your Music in your A30. Cheers

jdg78

I dont want to disparage on your experience, but saying something sounds better or worst, we all know it's completely subjective without any measurements, Hence the ethos of this Forum. Every time we tweak, change, move or substitute, the human element will always be there. I have never heard anyone change or tweak to say, that did not work, at least at first. Worst offender are DACs and Speaker Cables. So again with all due respect, I am sure your perception is on the right track as it's what you like, no one else will. be happier. I do it too.

About my A30 experience, I use my A30 with an M1 Mac mini and an Intel Mac mini before that. Currently with a pair of Elac Debut Reference. The intel one was connected using Apple Toslink, and the M1 USB. My files are ALLC 16/44. I dont bother with any over that as no one can hear a difference. To me they sound perfectly fine, I have no measurements but it works as described.

Hope you keep enjoying your Music in your A30. Cheers

Normally I would agree with you, as I'm not one to parse minute differences between DACs, etc. Once a certain level of performance is reached, I don't really think most people can hear any difference.

However, in this case the discrepancy was glaring (not to mention completely contrary to what I would have expected) and to make sure I wasn't crazy, I did an AB test where I connected a music streamer via the optical input, and my computer via the USB input and streamed the exact same track (same service, bitrate, etc) simultaneously in order to compare back-to-back.

I believe somebody earlier in the thread confirmed they took a look at the schematics and it appeared that the USB input signal completely bypasses DAC chip and signal path used for the optical and coax inputs, and instead uses a different decoding method, for reasons that aren't entirely clear.

As further evidence for this, when connected via USB the screen display merely said "Connected" whereas when connected via optical it displayed the actual bitrate (44.1kHz) which wouldn't make sense if the signals were being processed identically.

My units is over 2 years old, so I guess it's possible that at some point they made adjustments in production so that newer units don't have this issue (I would actually hope they would), but it's certainly the case for my particular unit.

Ismapics

Normally I would agree with you, as I'm not one to parse minute differences between DACs, etc. Once a certain level of performance is reached, I don't really think most people can hear any difference.

However, in this case the discrepancy was glaring (not to mention completely contrary to what I would have expected) and to make sure I wasn't crazy, I did an AB test where I connected a music streamer via the optical input, and my computer via the USB input and streamed the exact same track (same service, bitrate, etc) simultaneously in order to compare back-to-back.

I believe somebody earlier in the thread confirmed they took a look at the schematics and it appeared that the USB input signal completely bypasses DAC chip and signal path used for the optical and coax inputs, and instead uses a different decoding method, for reasons that aren't entirely clear.

As further evidence for this, when connected via USB the screen display merely said "Connected" whereas when connected via optical it displayed the actual bitrate (44.1kHz) which wouldn't make sense if the signals were being processed identically.

My units is over 2 years old, so I guess it's possible that at some point they made adjustments in production so that newer units don't have this issue (I would actually hope they would), but it's certainly the case for my particular unit.
Thanks for the discussion. My unit was from the second batch in 2020. I maybe losing hearing, but I did not feel any difference - perceptible at least- that I can say between Mac mini Toslink and USB. I am actually really happy with the output but recently upgraded speakers and want more power. But it's difficult to abandon the form factor.

CauliflowerEars

Has anybody experienced listening fatigue (headache) from Loxjie a30?

1. Is there a way to fix this? I’ve already lowered treble on EQ.
2. Could it be its low power output?
I somewhere read the way class-D amps output pulses might create the fatigue.

I really want to like it (mainly for the handy features) …

VMAT4

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Has anybody experienced listening fatigue (headache) from Loxjie a30?

1. Is there a way to fix this? I’ve already lowered treble on EQ.
2. Could it be its low power output?
I somewhere read the way class-D amps output pulses might create the fatigue.

I really want to like it (mainly for the handy features) …
What speakers or headphones are you using?

CauliflowerEars

What speakers or headphones are you using?
Old SONY SS-A 101 (60W/6 Ohm) - cheap, bedroom setup. In the past, I’ve used them for a long time without such issues (Pioneer A-505R amp).

The bedroom’s acoustic is definitely not great (can create echo by clapping), but I think the issue is with Loxjie a30. The feeling came quite quickly. Was testing Aiyima a07 + Topping e30 ii (lite) and it didn’t feel bad (but this setup isn’t as handy as Loxjie, that’s why I want to like it)

VMAT4

Forum Donor
Old SONY SS-A 101 (60W/6 Ohm) - cheap, bedroom setup. In the past, I’ve used them for a long time without such issues (Pioneer A-505R amp).

The bedroom’s acoustic is definitely not great (can create echo by clapping), but I think the issue is with Loxjie a30. The feeling came quite quickly. Was testing Aiyima a07 + Topping e30 ii (lite) and it didn’t feel bad (but this setup isn’t as handy as Loxjie, that’s why I want to like it)
Seems odd that it would be the amp. But, maybe it is.

VMAT4

Forum Donor
Seems odd that it would be the amp. But, maybe it is.
That amp uses Infineon chips which have several "EQ curves" built in. Are you using the flat EQ curve?

CauliflowerEars

That amp uses Infineon chips which have several "EQ curves" built in. Are you using the flat EQ curve?
Do you mean ‘Direct’? In general, my impression is this setup sounds quite detailed, but flat, thin (the Aiyima + Topping fuller), so my guess is I should test the EQs that boost some bass and not so much treble.

Answering where the issue could be coming from:
a. The room - maybe. It’s small and the acoustic very bad. I’ve previously played mainly movie sounds, which maybe can’t potentially be as fatiguing as music.
b. Speakers - no. Have successfully used them before with a different amp (in a different room, though).
c. Amp - maybe. I’ve found one or two mentions of fatigue with the Loxjie a30. Here’s about class d amps in general:
Post in thread 'Cause of Listening Fatigue?'
https://audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/cause-of-listening-fatigue.35765/post-1291663

So I guess the testing could go:
1. Listen with the EQs. My guess is songs with high notes?
2. Listen in the bedroom with the Aiyima setup (or the old amp).
3. Check the Loxjie in the living room with my Elac DBR62.

I’ve previously experienced such fatigue twice in my life:
1. Testing KEF Q(150 or 350) in a music shops’s listening room.
2. Testing a small Soundcore Bluetooth speaker (in the same bedroom …)

Attachments

• 052B10D7-0D4D-40FD-A2FF-17F835EB6A44.png
    052B10D7-0D4D-40FD-A2FF-17F835EB6A44.png
    102.3 KB · Views: 29

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Do you mean ‘Direct’? In general, my impression is this setup sounds quite detailed, but flat, thin (the Aiyima + Topping fuller), so my guess is I should test the EQs that boost some bass and not so much treble.

Answering where the issue could be coming from:
a. The room - maybe. It’s small and the acoustic very bad. I’ve previously played mainly movie sounds, which maybe can’t potentially be as fatiguing as music.
b. Speakers - no. Have successfully used them before with a different amp (in a different room, though).
c. Amp - maybe. I’ve found one or two mentions of fatigue with the Loxjie a30. Here’s about class d amps in general:
Post in thread 'Cause of Listening Fatigue?'
https://audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/cause-of-listening-fatigue.35765/post-1291663

So I guess the testing could go:
1. Listen with the EQs. My guess is songs with high notes?
2. Listen in the bedroom with the Aiyima setup (or the old amp).
3. Check the Loxjie in the living room with my Elac DBR62.

I’ve previously experienced such fatigue twice in my life:
1. Testing KEF Q(150 or 350) in a music shops’s listening room.
2. Testing a small Soundcore Bluetooth speaker (in the same bedroom …)
My opinion - fatigue is (nearly?) always a frequency response issue. So generally it will be room/speaker related rather than amp (modern amps are universally flat FR unless tone/eq is used) - if the amp offeres tone controls or equalisation, it can modifiy the FR to a more pleasing shape.

As you suggest, reducing the high mids may help.

And the post at the link you provide above is mocking the video. As usual PM is spouting nonsense.

djrodrigues

Hey guys,

What is a good upgrade from this amp?

I have a pair of Triangle BR02s.

Thanks!

escape2

Hey guys,

Thanks!
SMSL AO300 maybe?

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hey guys,

Thanks!
What do you want to get from an upgrade?

If you are looking for sound quality then an amp change won't do much - you should be looking at your speakers.

CauliflowerEars

My opinion - fatigue is (nearly?) always a frequency response issue. So generally it will be room/speaker related rather than amp (modern amps are universally flat FR unless tone/eq is used) - if the amp offeres tone controls or equalisation, it can modifiy the FR to a more pleasing shape.

As you suggest, reducing the high mids may help.

And the post at the link you provide above is mocking the video. As usual PM is spouting nonsense.
I might have found the answer: the differences between the inputs and their DACs.

Seems Optical input is the only high quality one, which doesn’t produce the hissing in the highs. BT is definitely bad.

Testing VS Aiyima a07 + Topping e30 was done through USB. Maybe that’s why Aiyima was less fatiguing.

If correct, for me this makes the Loxjie a Toslink DAC/AMP with added gimmicks.
Although, tone control and having a remote control are a big plus in this price point.
Unless there’s a good alternative amp?

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I might have found the answer: the differences between the inputs and their DACs.
That does sound pretty unlikely to me. Differernces between DACS (even mediocre ones) are generally indaudble. Having a difference enough to cause fatigue seems vanishingly unlikely.

Have you thought of carrying out a blind test. Have somone select an input without you knowing which, and the equipment hidden from you - then listening for as long as needed to get fatigue? Repeat for a few days.

UNLESS - what is your system? Is there any audible hiss or hum during quiet parts of music (eg silence between tracks)? Is it possible. you have a ground loop introducing noise that is eliminated by the toslink optical input. I could see how a constant hiss could cause fatigue.

CauliflowerEars

That does sound pretty unlikely to me. Differernces between DACS (even mediocre ones) are generally indaudble. Having a difference enough to cause fatigue seems vanishingly unlikely.
My completely amateur guess would be that the low quality DACs process the signal ... 'less fully' and maybe the highs are not as full, so harsh, ear piercing?

Have you thought of carrying out a blind test. Have somone select an input without you knowing which, and the equipment hidden from you - then listening for as long as needed to get fatigue? Repeat for a few days.
I think for now I need to determine: Is Loxjie a30's USB input going to create the fatigue?
So, working from my bedroom today. I've just listened to 3 tracks through USB (MacBook -> Loxjie) and I have the fatigue/'headache'.
Now, gonna do streaming through Wiim Mini -> Loxjie Optical Input.

UNLESS - what is your system?
1) Sources:
a. USB Cable: MacBook Pro -> Loxjie A30.
b. Toslink: iPhone/iPad/MacBook TIDAL streaming -> Wiim Mini -> Loxjie A30 by Toslink cable.
2) Speakers: old SONY SS-A 101 (60W/6 Ohm) - cheap, bedroom setup.

you have a ground loop introducing noise that is eliminated by the toslink optical input
Where should I look? I don't really know much about those things.
The Loxjie is powered by the AC Adapter it came with.
The hissing might be difficult to notice in the bedroom, as I've got a radiator between the speakers and it hisses :)
Unless I take the whole setup to the living room, but then the acoustic would be different ...

Last edited:
Top Bottom