• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Lower Cost Stereo Receivers - excluding AV units

JWAmerica

If these 2 channel treasures were tested would it flatter the heretofore somewhat unimpressive results achieved by AVRs?

It really depends on where each is in the hierarchy of amplifiers/receivers. My HK 930 is twin channel/twin powered and probably measures pretty well versus a low to midrange AVR. Adjusted for inflation, the 930 was a $2600 amp. My SA-9500 II (also twin powered) likely measures even better. They didn't skimp in the 1970s amplifier arms race.

MLaranjeiras

EXACTLY! For most people this is probably the best option.
Right! I also like the idea of keeping using good old gear, due reducing electronic waste and for valorizing those who built them. I lost an Yamaha receiver because its PCB oxidated. It was not worth to replace it. But 90% of the receiver was ok. It is a non sense for me. I an glad for having an 1989-1990 excellent IMO Sansui AU X911DG Integrated Amplifier

yossarian

Category of stereo receivers seems to be the area where there is a lot of selection in used gear, and not a lot available in the new gear. It also happens to be the category that fits into my needs perfectly.

At the moment my living room is based around Denon DRA-1000, which seems to be the top of the last generation when non-AV receivers were the norm (introduced in 1999). I would be happy to know how bad (or good) the sound quality is here, to know if there is significant gain to be had from replacing it. Alas, there are no measurements or even informed opinions on it around.

deprogrammed

The idea is also to not buy more than you need, so if we can focus on 2 chan that would be great.
You are fighting economies of scale. Greatly. Home Theater receivers are niche. Stereo more so. I wouldn't assume a stereo receiver would out perform a home theater receiver. I would want to see some measurements.

Vini darko

Major Contributor
I would look to mid 90's Japanese gear to fill the brief. You should get a decent remote and tuner that's not an afterthought. And the amp should have micro controlled bias , offset and protection. Denon and yamaha would be safe picks most likely.

Helicopter

Major Contributor
I would look to mid 90's Japanese gear to fill the brief. You should get a decent remote and tuner that's not an afterthought. And the amp should have micro controlled bias , offset and protection. Denon and yamaha would be safe picks most likely.
Mid 90s Yamaha FTW

Plan9

Attachments

• Screenshot_2021-10-02-09-32-18.png
    Screenshot_2021-10-02-09-32-18.png
    504.3 KB · Views: 778

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Now you've got me looking....
index.php

They're not half-bad (that Pioneer model, that is) -- they do use weird, proprietary (sort of) loudspeaker connectors, though.

s-l400.jpg

Apropos of nothing & FWIW, I've got one of that model's ahem cousins a-sittin' in the basement... someplace. :rolleyes:

DSCN0292 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

To be at least semi-serious, though, if you want one of the 'classic' massmarket Japanese solid state amps or receivers... aim for the mid 1970s (i.e., six or seven years newer than the SX-1000TW/SX-1500T era (the "T", of course, stands for "transistor")

EDIT: Agawam?! I know where that is! Basically straight down I-91 from here... :)

Last edited:

ex audiophile

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Very happy with the Yamaha R-N803. 140 watts/ch, decent DAC and lots of features including built in streamer. Even got a positive review from Amir. Only downside I've found is no internal HP filter so if you run a sub out your mains would be full frequency. And of course you don't get XLR at this price point.

In fact I'm tempted to sell all of my expensive separates and just buy a couple of these. Very doubtful I could hear a difference using the same speakers/room. sigh..

Helicopter

Major Contributor
index.php

They're not half-bad (that Pioneer model, that is) -- they do use weird, proprietary (sort of) loudspeaker connectors, though.

s-l400.jpg

I have an 8 track receiver and speakers that use those things, and unfortunately they are cracking apart at the strain relief.

MrPotatoHead

I have a beloved Harman Kardon 690i receiver that I bought in college something like 39 years ago (!) that I think might finally be due for retirement. It's the thing that made me understand that equipment makes a difference - my dorm buddies had Technics and JVC receivers and we would swap out gear and my HK was clearly the better receiver.

I've been using it in my basement shop driving my Klipsch kg2 speakers along with a ifi Zen dac but it's developed this tizzy noise that I'm finding hard to ignore. I've read the suggestions in this thread and might just go with another HK since this one has earned such a soft spot in my heart. The HK 3700 is available refurb for $200 which seems reasonable. I considered something like the Aiyima A07 but like the idea of having AM/FM in case my internet goes down and I need to know what's going on in the world.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I have a beloved Harman Kardon 690i receiver that I bought in college something like 39 years ago (!) that I think might finally be due for retirement. It's the thing that made me understand that equipment makes a difference - my dorm buddies had Technics and JVC receivers and we would swap out gear and my HK was clearly the better receiver.

I've been using it in my basement shop driving my Klipsch kg2 speakers along with a ifi Zen dac but it's developed this tizzy noise that I'm finding hard to ignore. I've read the suggestions in this thread and might just go with another HK since this one has earned such a soft spot in my heart. The HK 3700 is available refurb for $200 which seems reasonable. I considered something like the Aiyima A07 but like the idea of having AM/FM in case my internet goes down and I need to know what's going on in the world.
Is the price a driving factor or is getting a HK a driving factor. I ask because the HK 3700 is not 4 Ohm rated at the rear panel or in the specs.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
why can’t people understand that the V in AV is video?

excluding AV units​

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Ah, I did miss that qualification. However, most if not all, AVR’s have 2 channel or 2.1 Stereo output. As has already been pointed out multiple times by others. So, essentially you could use a 5.1 AVR to run two separate 2 channel setups using Zone functionality.
Will you suggest a Lamborghini when people ask a hatchback for urban use just because technically you can?

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
We don't seem to have a thread on receivers. What are good stereo receivers for a decent price?

- must include a remote
- may or may not need a phono input
- AM/FM required

How about it?
I did a quick search on Amazon. There are a few that fits the bill.

MrPotatoHead

Is the price a driving factor or is getting a HK a driving factor. I ask because the HK 3700 is not 4 Ohm rated at the rear panel or in the specs.
Ooh, thank you for pointing that out. I could spend more but it's for listening in my basement shop in which I'm often wearing ear protection. But, when it is quiet, I do appreciate good sound. But... it's still a shop!

Mostly, I was clicking and clicking and then decided I was investing too much time and energy so just thought, "Here's somthing that'll work." Being HK is definitely not a requirement so if you've got a suggestion <$400, I'd love to see it.

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
Will you suggest a Lamborghini when people ask a hatchback for urban use just because technically you can?
Certainly will if I feel it could be a possible solution. I will also suggest that your sarcastic attitude towards members whom are trying to help you, shall hinder your efforts in the long run. Good luck. Your going to need it.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Ooh, thank you for pointing that out. I could spend more but it's for listening in my basement shop in which I'm often wearing ear protection. But, when it is quiet, I do appreciate good sound. But... it's still a shop!

Mostly, I was clicking and clicking and then decided I was investing too much time and energy so just thought, "Here's somthing that'll work." Being HK is definitely not a requirement so if you've got a suggestion <$400, I'd love to see it.
The new product I searched in Yamaha was either too expensive, not 4 Ohm rated or both. Is there anything available with 4 Ohm rating in your used market?

Top Bottom