• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Lower Cost Stereo Receivers - excluding AV units

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
We don't seem to have a thread on receivers. What are good stereo receivers for a decent price?

- must include a remote
- may or may not need a phono input
- AM/FM required

How about it?

eddantes

Addicted to Fun and Learning
DRA-800H - a very convenient device that is very satisfying.... although needs more power.

1628451563760.png

1628451584485.png

Last edited:

AdamG

Debunking the “Infomercial” hawkers & fabricators
Forum Donor

Marc v E

Major Contributor
What about internet radio? Many more radio stations than am/fm. (I wonder how long am/fm will still be here? My best guess that car radio keeps fm alive.)

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
We don't seem to have a thread on receivers. What are good stereo receivers for a decent price?

- must include a remote
- may or may not need a phono input
- AM/FM required

How about it?
Do streams of AM/FM radio stations count? I am guessing you say no, but many would prefer this to an old school tuner.
Edit: Oops missed post #10. Sorry Marc!

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I searched for the Sony stereo receiver with 4 Ohm rating and found none. There was one a couple of months ago I remember. Yamaha is now all 8 Ohm until getting up in price. Geeeech! :D

Robin L

Master Contributor
Thing is, one can easily use an AVR as a 2.0 or 2.1 receiver. So they shouldn't be ruled out. Right now, all my sources are digital and go through a Topping E30 into a L30 into the AVR. I set the volume on the Yamaha AVR to 0, control the volume with the L30. If one is looking for used gear there are more AVRs to be found, and cheaper, than regular receivers. And as the AVRs are designed to deliver rated power into 5.1 or 7.1 or Atmos, more power would be available to 2 powered channels than 5 or 7.

Helicopter

Major Contributor
A stereo receiver is an integrated amplifier with a radio tuner build in. I would put anything with video outputs in the ARV category.

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Is the NAD C368 with BluOS a receiver? I would say yes.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Are there any modern (last 20 years) stereo all-in-one receivers with audibly decent tuner sections -- particularly AM?
If radio performance is included as a criterion, I can think of a few very respectable AM-FM stereo receivers (although not a lot) -- but no modern ones. I'd look at Yamaha, Oinker Onkyo and hk, but I wouldn't be too optimistic... again, especially for AM.

Top Bottom