• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Looking for small active STEREO speakers I can throw in a carry on bag and travel with

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Just tuning in to see what speakers might fit this ask, but can't think of any myself. When I traveled and wanted to take music with me I got a Cambridge Soundworks Model Twelve.....nice little portable system, but probably a bit bulkier than you're looking for. I think headphones do make more sense than little powered speakers, tho....but YMMV....

agiletiger

I travel about 20 weeks out of the year for work and I keep checking backs in to a minimum. I have resorted to using a Nuraphone bluetooth earphones that I got on Prime Day to get by. I also have a pair of Shure SE215 that I used to travel with before I got those Nuraphones - they sound much better and do a better job of blocking out noise than ANC options I've tried.

If I were to check a bag, I would get the Genelecs mentioned above or give one of those IKEA speakers that have measured well. I would not go with the JBL bluetooth mentioned above. I have one and it is very convenient to use in a pinch like when I'm working on my car. They don't sound great.

agiletiger

Has anyone heard these before? Might be an ideal option if money is no object. About the same size as the Genelecs.

digitalfrost

Major Contributor
I do believe you (I have a JBL Charge 3) but in stereo mode the horizontal dispersion must be horrible with two tweeters that far apart. Do you own two of them? Can you compare them in stereo mode in horizontal and vertical placement?
I have two but I never bothered to put them into stereo mode. I just use them around the house to have music where no stereo exists, like in the workout room. But for science, I just got both together. It is stereo, but the middle is just ...kind of not there. There is just a hole in the middle. It's really not good.

I like these speakers standalone, with the EQ you can really tweak them for a given placement, but the stereo mode is laughable.

e: I just noticed that the left channel is much louder than the right channel. This is just a broken mess. I turned them on individually, maxed the volume on each then paired them again, then got no output. And now it works again but the left side is still louder.

Last edited:

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Has anyone heard these before? Might be an ideal option if money is no object. About the same size as the Genelecs.

The two speakers weigh 70% of the carry on allowance, and fill a carry on bag. Not sure they fit the bill. Same for the Genelecs

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I have two but I never bothered to put them into stereo mode. I just use them around the house to have music where no stereo exists, like in the workout room. But for science, I just got both together. It is stereo, but the middle is just ...kind of not there. There is just a hole in the middle. It's really not good.
That's more or less what I expected. Was this with both speakers in horizontal or vertical position? Was there a difference in the stereo image?

dasdoing

Major Contributor

I like these speakers standalone, with the EQ you can really tweak them for a given placement, but the stereo mode is laughable.

e: I just noticed that the left channel is much louder than the right channel. This is just a broken mess. I turned them on individually, maxed the volume on each then paired them again, then got no output. And now it works again but the left side is still louder.

I have one mo+ and always wondered about the stereo pairing. are you sure you paired them correctly? how is there a whole in the middle?

Jon wise

I have the original non bluetooth versions, good sound with lots of versatility, add a sub, eq app, vwired if required, very robust. Don't know if they reach the audiophile quality requirement though https://minirigs.co.uk/

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I have one mo+ and always wondered about the stereo pairing. are you sure you paired them correctly? how is there a whole in the middle?
Very bad horizontal dispersion with many narrow lobes over a broad frequency range. Frequency response is then different for each ear, and changes drastically when the head moves left or right, hence no phantom image.

JanesJr1

Addicted to Fun and Learning

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Not sure you're going to get audiophile standard at a size/weight that is suitable for carry on. (not at a weight I'd be prepared to carry on anyway)

I'd be looking to trade a little sound quality for mobility, and go for a pair of bluetooth speakers that can be switched to left/right channel. eg:
I have the 1st gen of those JBLs and they are great for what they are.

RobL

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I still think for $300 the iloud micros are tough to top.

dasdoing

Major Contributor
Very bad horizontal dispersion with many narrow lobes over a broad frequency range. Frequency response is then different for each ear, and changes drastically when the head moves left or right, hence no phantom image.

hard to believe. he might have paired both to the same source, instead of pairing only the master to source and the slave to the master

dasdoing

Major Contributor
a shame Amir didn't meassure the Edifier G2000 yet that he aparently bought a while ago. not that I expect much from those, but who knows

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
hard to believe. he might have paired both to the same source, instead of pairing only the master to source and the slave to the master
In that case he ideally should hear a single phantom image in the middle between the speakers, as all mono sources should do.

dasdoing

Major Contributor
In that case he ideally should hear a single phantom image in the middle between the speakers, as all mono sources should do.

thing is a single one is stereo. so you would have two stereo sources.
when you bind them in stereo mode they turn into left/right mono sources (I assume)

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
thing is a single one is stereo. so you would have two stereo sources.
when you bind them in stereo mode they turn into left/right mono sources (I assume)
I assume the same.

Matthias McCready

I would recommend:
1. "Studio Monitors" of some sort
2. Grill over the woofer (this means intended for transport, some engineers carry monitors on them, some brands make monitors for this purpose).
3. Pelican case for transport, with custom foam for the speakers. (a box will fall apart quicker than you would think).

Wherever you are located it is quite likely that you have a custom foam shop nearby. Let them know of your speakers, and they will design the foam, and recommend the smallest sized Pelican that will work for that.

Not only will your speakers be well protected, but now they will be easier to carry, flyable, and resistant to water. Travel takes a hard toll on equipment and gear.

Top Bottom