• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Looking for small active STEREO speakers I can throw in a carry on bag and travel with

romnation

With my job I travel very often and spend a large amount of my time sitting in front of a laptop in airbnbs and hotel rooms.

I'm looking for the best STEREO audiophile speakers out there that I can throw in a carry on bag and travel with. These will get used sitting in front of a laptop 99% of the time. Probably need something active. Can save the original box if needed if it will help with transport. I am not looking for something that is a bluetooth single speaker, I need stereo sound. I need something that will also work well in crappy rooms. Roon ready would be another bonus if possible. Any suggestions?

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
With my job I travel very often and spend a large amount of my time sitting in front of a laptop in airbnbs and hotel rooms.

I'm looking for the best STEREO audiophile speakers out there that I can throw in a carry on bag and travel with. These will get used sitting in front of a laptop 99% of the time. Probably need something active. Can save the original box if needed if it will help with transport. I am not looking for something that is a bluetooth single speaker, I need stereo sound. I need something that will also work well in crappy rooms. Roon ready would be another bonus if possible. Any suggestions?
Not sure you're going to get audiophile standard at a size/weight that is suitable for carry on. (not at a weight I'd be prepared to carry on anyway)

I'd be looking to trade a little sound quality for mobility, and go for a pair of bluetooth speakers that can be switched to left/right channel. eg:

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The older Logitech USB speakers are not really high quality sound but if you want a packable size and easy to connect they are sooperb. They connect via USB. You'll need to find a used pair of V20 or a other model I don't know the model name for. I have the V20 and they sound good enough for casual listening.
1200px-Logitech-usb-speakers.jpg

anotherhobby

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Why not a good pair of open headphones?
That's a great suggestion. Not only are they much lighter, the hifi potential of open back headphones with a high quality portable DAC/amp is WAY higher than any pair of speakers you could ever travel with.

Last edited:

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That's a great suggestion. Not only are they much lighter, the hifi potential of open back headphones with a high quality portable DAC/amp is WAY higher than any pair of speakers you could ever travel with.

Yep. I have packed my Sennheiser HD660S in a hard case in my luggage. Then I just use a dongle with my laptop.

JSmith

Master Contributor
Any suggestions?

index.php

Conclusions
You are paying so little for a speaker that attempts to follow the path of much more expensive monitors with proper waveguide and balanced inputs. It takes over them with inclusion of volume control, RCA inputs, etc. Bass response is flat and impressive for such a small/light speaker. I wish it did not have the dip in lower treble though. Not sure why that is there if they did measure the speaker.

If you need an ultra cheap, active speaker and can use a bit of EQ, the Edifier MR4 makes a decent option. Just keep your expectations low as far as playback level.

JSmith

Trell

Major Contributor

index.php

JSmith

The woofer is not protected, tweeter as well it seems from picture, so not well suited for frequent traveling.

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I used the iLoud for 6 months overseas and it beats listening to headphones 3 hours a day.

Good for you.

But can we not start the headphones versus speakers which is better debate? I brought that up in case the OP had not tried open headphones, and was mainly used to consumer market headphones.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I have a pair of Genelec 8020a which goes into a Pelican case on travel. But this weighs close to 10 kg so the 8010s are better suited for travel.

digitalfrost

Major Contributor
Two of these:

Don't laugh. They are really good. They have an integrated battery and you can store custom EQ setting on them. And you can pair two for stereo. I think for travelling these are a really good idea. Also you can throw them in a bag without worry.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Two of these:

Don't laugh. They are really good. They have an integrated battery and you can store custom EQ setting on them. And you can pair two for stereo. I think for travelling these are a really good idea. Also you can throw them in a bag without worry.
I do believe you (I have a JBL Charge 3) but in stereo mode the horizontal dispersion must be horrible with two tweeters that far apart. Do you own two of them? Can you compare them in stereo mode in horizontal and vertical placement?

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
Let’s try and stay on topic please. Op is asking about small portable speakers. Let’s save the Headphone conversation for a different thread please and thank you for your understanding.

Top Bottom