• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Looking for DAC with "no smooth" sound signature

Status
Not open for further replies.

gescom

For some time I have been looking for a DAC that has a slightly different kind of sound than the "smooth" that is popular today. Is there a DAC on the market that presents more of a "crispy sound" than the popular "smooth"?
Reading the various reviews, one gets the impression that the "smooth" version of the sound is currently highly promoted. Unfortunately, not every sound system works well and not everyone likes it.
My Topping E30 sounds a bit "crispy", but I would like to find something more refined, but with a similar "crispy" sound.
Or are there any companies that are particularly known for this sound signature?
Have any of You, testing many different DACs, found the DAC I'm looking for? My budget is up to 500-800 euros maximum.
Thanks in advance for any help, as I haven't been able to find any advice on this on my own.

Music1969

Major Contributor
My budget is up to 500-800 euros maximum.
SMSL D-6 and is way under your budget - more money for you to spend on other things

Very good, very cheap with balanced outputs (TRS)

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
For some time I have been looking for a DAC that has a slightly different kind of sound than the "smooth" that is popular today. Is there a DAC on the market that presents more of a "crispy sound" than the popular "smooth"?
Reading the various reviews, one gets the impression that the "smooth" version of the sound is currently highly promoted. Unfortunately, not every sound system works well and not everyone likes it.
My Topping E30 sounds a bit "crispy", but I would like to find something more refined, but with a similar "crispy" sound.
Or are there any companies that are particularly known for this sound signature?
Have any of You, testing many different DACs, found the DAC I'm looking for? My budget is up to 500-800 euros maximum.
Thanks in advance for any help, as I haven't been able to find any advice on this on my own.
Find one with EQ built in. And stop believing the nonsense contained in most "reviews."

OP
G

gescom

Find one with EQ built in. And stop believing the nonsense contained in most "reviews."
Could You tell me, what DAC,s have a EQ ? Thanks in advance ;-).

Honken

OP
G

gescom

What measurable quantity corresponds to "smooth" and "crispy"? Is "chunky" also an option?
"Smooth" for me meaning some kind a "V sound signature". "Crispy" for me meaning more hard edges sound, not creamy as Nutella ;-)

OP
G

gescom

The ADI-2 i a great DAC with EQ capabilities.

Thank You very much :)! I will check it.
By "smooth" do you mean transparent (inaudible)? If so, does that mean that you want a DAC that is audible and not transparent?
I think im clear, maybe not ;-). Im looking for DAC with more "fried fries" in sound with more sharp signature, than "sweet cream".....

Astoneroad

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think im clear, maybe not ;-). Im looking for DAC with more "fried fries" in sound with more sharp signature, than "sweet cream".....
Is that a troll or joke? Nothing could possibly be less clear than that to describe the sound from a device that ideally is inaudible. I want it like a banana "smoothie", not strawberry, but a more banana sound, would be as responsive. :facepalm:

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Welcome,
"Smooth" for me meaning some kind a "V sound signature". "Crispy" for me meaning more hard edges sound, not creamy as Nutella ;-)
I think im clear, maybe not ;-). Im looking for DAC with more "fried fries" in sound with more sharp signature, than "sweet cream"
Obviously, you either landed in the wrong forum, or you're purposely doing some very poor trolling right now...

...If none of the above, have a sit and be ready to learn. A lot.

MacCali

Major Contributor
Honestly man I would go to an audio show before spending any money. You must consider for one that everything plays a roll on this. Speakers or headphones that you use, than the accompanying equipment.

I do not know really know what audio encompasses but I have noticed that some things sound like crap with this setup and sound amazing with another and it’s not money which is the factor or objective performance.

Which is why I would really want to warn you from purchasing anything prior to getting the chance to hear what you got. Also, unless it’s speakers, I would suggest bringing your own equipment to test on these components prior to making a judgement

DSJR

Major Contributor
Thank You very much :)! I will check it.

Do this in the speakers or headphones - seriously!!! The room and speakers, or headphones on your particular head is where it's really at here - been there and done it guv'nor :D

Unless the dac is a bodged up 'audiophool' model such as too many nos types can be, most proper dacs are faithful converters/reproducers of the music files fed them. Sure there's inaudible sinad differences in them, but most today, even the cheapest ones from reputable companies, are sonically transparent and mains-issue immune, really they are...

raindance

Major Contributor
A V-shaped sound signature is not "smooth" and the only thing that exhibits this would be poorly designed speakers, such as certain models from B&W. In fact it matches the "crispy" side of your equation.

No, there are no DACs that will give you the difference you want.

You can perhaps get what you want from equalization (I say perhaps because at the end of the day, what you hear is recording quality, and your favorite music could be badly recorded). If you want a DAC with equalization built in, then perhaps try an RME DAC.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
What measurable quantity corresponds to "smooth" and "crispy"? Is "chunky" also an option?
That happens when you over feed the DAC.

Astoneroad

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That happens when you over feed the DAC.
It gets fat, bloated and overpriced.
1679832203243.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom