• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hello, newbie here, I'm looking for recommendations!

Moldea

I'm not sure as to how to build my stack and I thought I'd ask you guys for advice based on my preferences
So I'm in the budget of 500 euros( but I can go slightly above that) and for the headphone I was inclined to go for the Hifiman edition XS and for the amp or dac I have no clue.
As for my preferences I would go for a warmer ( richer ) sound( if you guys have any rec's for the EQ) and I prioritize sound over comfort ( for over ear headphones ). I am open to suggestions from a totally different stack to stacks that complement the Hifiman edition XS. ( even though, I am not set on this headphone )

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Welcome!

Are you in a position where you might be able to try different headphones before buying?

The amp part is relatively easy, but the part that makes the music and clamps on your head is a bit more personal.

Have you settled on open back vs closed?

For that budget you should be able to set yourself with a very nice sounding setup.

bluefuzz

Major Contributor
I prioritize sound over comfort

As long as a headphone has reasonable default tonality and lowish distortion, especially in the bass, I would always go for comfort over sound. With the possible exception of DCA Stealths (which are somewhat outside your budget) then all headphones will benefit from EQ anyway. Use the EQ to tune them to your preferred tonality. So any amp + dac from Amir's recommended list will be fine with a streamer that can do EQ. CamillaDSP is popular round here. I would then find the comfiest midrange Sennheiser, AKG or Beyer that suits your budget ...

OP
M

Moldea

Are you in a position where you might be able to try different headphones before buying?
Unfortunately not, as for the other question open back is my preferred choice and for the amp + dac a warmer tone is what I desire more

OP
M

Moldea

As long as a headphone has reasonable default tonality and lowish distortion, especially in the bass, I would always go for comfort over sound. With the possible exception of DCA Stealths (which are somewhat outside your budget) then all headphones will benefit from EQ anyway. Use the EQ to tune them to your preferred tonality. So any amp + dac from Amir's recommended list will be fine with a streamer that can do EQ. CamillaDSP is popular round here. I would then find the comfiest midrange Sennheiser, AKG or Beyer that suits your budget ...
very interesting, Sennheiser would be my second choice of headphone, but I stand undecided . Do you know the main differences in tonality between the 600, 650 and 660 S2?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I would go for a warmer ( richer ) sound( if you guys have any rec's for the EQ)
I'm the PEQ Dood and I am here to help you... LoL.

There are many EQ to choose from dependent on the PC OS that you use.

If you are on Mac OS I will suggest you use one of these EQ software but not both at the same time.

If you are using Windows then install this and then install this.
Then find Peace/Peters Equalizer and open it.
If offered upon the Peace EQ software opening disable the auto updates.
This is what it will look like when it is opened and it is very cool to operate.
A screenshot of my Peace EQ in operation.>
z Screenshot 2023-04-08 230137.png

bluefuzz

Major Contributor
Do you know the main differences in tonality between the 600, 650 and 660 S2?
No, not offhand. If you are able to do EQ then the difference probably isn't worth worrying about. Get the comfiest and/or cheapest ... ;-)

OP
M

Moldea

I'm the PEQ Dood and I am here to help you... LoL.

There are many EQ to choose from dependent on the PC OS that you use.

If you are on Mac OS I will suggest you use one of these EQ software but not both at the same time.

If you are using Windows then install this and then install this.
Then find Peace/Peters Equalizer and open it.
If offered upon the Peace EQ software opening disable the auto updates.
This is what it will look like when it is opened and it is very cool to operate.
A screenshot of my Peace EQ in operation.>
View attachment 357024
Oh wow, really helpful dude, appreciate it!
(didnt really know a lot about EQ and this really helps)

OP
M

Moldea

No, not offhand. If you are able to do EQ then the difference probably isn't worth worrying about. Get the comfiest and/or cheapest ... ;-)
Is it really that little difference for the price?? Wow I never thought of it that way

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Denon AH-D5200 closed back, good seal no surce impedance dependance, fits almost all heads. Can be driven by anything. Recommendation for the amplifier is a dongle DAC with high SINAD at 50 mV. Those are not for outside or even much activity on the inside as they have rather low clamping force which among other things makes them comfortable. They are very, very low THD.
If you want to go other way around gaming, BT, WiFi and cetera check Audeze Maxwell planars which are actually bass shy but that can be fixed with EQ.
You won't get low and sub bass extension on open back ones.

bluefuzz

Major Contributor
Is it really that little difference for the price??

I have half a dozen or more headphones from the usual suspects. Once EQ'd to a standard I find the differences inconsequential, especially between cans from the same manufacturer series, e.g Sennheiser HDs. So I just use the comfiest, which for me is mostly HD560S. No doubt others will disagree ...

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I have half a dozen or more headphones from the usual suspects. Once EQ'd to a standard I find the differences inconsequential, especially between cans from the same manufacturer series, e.g Sennheiser HDs. So I just use the comfiest, which for me is mostly HD560S. No doubt others will disagree ...
I use the Sennheiser HD 598SR and they are amazingly comfortable and lightweight. Sound is excellent.
s-l1200.webp

Top Bottom