• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Looking for below $100 Streamer with USB Output only

OldTimer

I’ve already had $90 USB-C DAC and $90 Stereo Amp. Hopefully can find $90 Music Streamer with USB output only to replace my iPad Pro streamer app.
Can anyone recommend something?

Attachments

• IMG_1208.jpeg
    IMG_1208.jpeg
    234.6 KB · Views: 66
OP
O

OldTimer

The Wiim mini would be a more 'plug and play' option if you are happy to use Toslink, rather than USB to connect to the PO100 AK.
Cannot because it’s optical and coaxial out, not input.

renaudrenaud

Major Contributor
Ha, there is 2 ways to do things easily.

The first one is PiCorePlayer and the second one, if you have an old X86 computer, is Daphile. The 2 are easy to install.

eddantes

Addicted to Fun and Learning
If you don't want to DIY or swap your DAC then I suppose ifi Zen Stream might be your thing. But in your shoes - I would swap the DAC for one with optical in and a remote and get Wiim Mini. Probably cost you the same as the Zen Stream - and make you more flexible.

Falco

Forum Donor
A raspberry pi with either MoOde, PicorePlayer or Volumio
From this list on Volumio has native Qobuz, but it will require a subscription. Whereas PiCorePlayer and MoOde rely on LMS integration, without subscription, to play Qobuz.

OP
O

OldTimer

A raspberry pi with either MoOde, PicorePlayer or Volumio
From this list on Volumio has native Qobuz, but it will require a subscription. Whereas PiCorePlayer and MoOde rely on LMS integration, without subscription, to play Qobuz.
Actually, I prefer a dedicated streamer which has its own display and remote control. Previously I'm thinking to use Mac Mini but then it will become busy to provide the display, keyboard, mouse,etc.

RosalieTheDog

The Wiim offerings that do have usb output (and also the forthcoming product with a screen), already have excellent DACs, rendering your SMSL somewhat redundant. They are also quite a bit above your budget.

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Do you have any documentation for software installation on the pi? I only use Qobuz.
I use Moodeaudio with qobuz. There's a few ways of doing it 1) Bluetooth (including aptx hd) using the qobuz app 2) a upnp client such as mconnect or bubble streaming from your phone to the pi or 3) using your phone or a pc as a upnp control point to control a upnp server on the pi-with this option the pi runs as a proxy and directly connects to the qobuz server. I mostly use the option 3 as moode has a menu option to login into qobuz.

OP
O

OldTimer

The Wiim offerings that do have usb output (and also the forthcoming product with a screen), already have excellent DACs, rendering your SMSL somewhat redundant. They are also quite a bit above your budget.
When will it be available? If it's above Wiim Amp price, I can't afford.

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Actually, I prefer a dedicated streamer which has its own display and remote control. Previously I'm thinking to use Mac Mini but then it will become busy to provide the display, keyboard, mouse,etc.
I think you will seriously struggle to get that for the money you are saying you want to spend. You may be able to find a used streamer but you can be sure that it will be running abandon ware.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

You can build a RaspberryPi streamer with a touch screen and a remote...

I haven't bothered to add a remote to mine as it's used in my garage.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Get a used Windows notebook. It will be more than $100, but will run all sorts of software and can also be used for video playback.

Falco

Forum Donor
Another option might be a used tablet, but before buying make sure it supports USB audio 2.0 out to your dac

Top Bottom