• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Looking for an ADC that works stand alone without a computer.

OP
R

Roland68

Major Contributor

MCH

Major Contributor
I read recently in the cosmos thread that it can be modified to output spdif. Not sure if it can work standalone though, but you can go and ask @IVX . Don't know if it has the functionality or price point you need, but performance I am sure will be good enough:)

Last edited:
OP
R

Roland68

Major Contributor
I read recently in the cosmos thread that it can be modified to output spdif. Not sure if it can work standalone though, but you can go and ask @IVX don't know if it has the functionality or price point you need, but performance I am sure will be good enough:)
I was thinking about exactly that last night. I wanted to write an email in the next few days anyway and ask if you can hack the Cosmos ADC and output the digital signal as SPDIF or i2s. It would be the ideal device and the values could hardly be better.

Reactions: MCH
OP
R

Roland68

Major Contributor

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I think your best choice is what Amir suggested, RME BabyFace Pro. It will do both SPDIF Toslink and ADAT. It can be setup and then run without a PC. It is bus powered, but has an optional jack that can power it without a PC.

badboygolf16v

Forum Donor
Same problem as with most USB devices, digital output only via USB.
No, it works standalone. Here's a Samsung Galaxy S8 headphone out into EMU 0404 USB running standalone outputting SPDIF to an RME ADI-2 DAC FS. No computer in sight.
1000011074.jpg

gondorff

This misses some of your requirements. Maybe still worthwhile:

Will be quite cheap because only available as used. Balanced DB25 input, can be adapted to RCA or whatever. Has 8x AES out and only needs power to operate, not a single button. Shows up used for around 300 EUR.

IVX

Major Contributor
South of China, SHZ area, - Слава Україні
I was thinking about exactly that last night. I wanted to write an email in the next few days anyway and ask if you can hack the Cosmos ADC and output the digital signal as SPDIF or i2s. It would be the ideal device and the values could hardly be better.
I prepared the SPDIF-ready FW for Cosmos ADC, so, you need just add a TOSLINK.
Original Cosmos ADC has no that pin on the header, and would not be easy to tie the SPDIF directly to the ES9822 pin, but Cosmos ADCiso has that pin on the header.

Reactions: MCH
Top Bottom