• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Looking for an ADC that works stand alone without a computer.

Roland68

Major Contributor
I'm looking for a device such as a Lake People ADC RS 04.
So an affordable ADC / analog to digital converter with similarly good values as the DACs tested for ASR, which does not require a computer.
RCA input, optionally also XLR, output SPDIF, AES and i2s optional.
In terms of price it should be closer to 100 than 1000 $/€, but I'm not fixed, it depends on the performance/price ratio.

I'm not looking for an audio interface as long as it can't be set up without a computer. The device can of course have a USB port for output to a computer, but it is not important.

Last edited:

jcadduono

Scarlett 8i6 3rd gen should do it, will need some cheap 1/4 jack to RCA adapters, it's the cheapest in the line that has spdif out, it's coaxial. Can configure it all on windows via usb then unplug and move it wherever without it needing a usb connection.

OP
R

Roland68

Major Contributor
Scarlett 8i6 3rd gen should do it, will need some cheap 1/4 jack to RCA adapters, it's the cheapest in the line that has spdif out, it's coaxial. Can configure it all on windows via usb then unplug and move it wherever without it needing a usb connection.
I have exactly that device, but I'm looking for something that doesn't require an adapter and has better values. The tests on ARS didn't convince me.
And it should definitely be possible to configure it without a computer.
I have corrected my text above.

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Some older pro audio interfaces can be completely configured via the front panel. MOTU Traveler Mk1 and 828 Mk2 come to mind in your price range. I have a Traveler Mk1 with a broken firewire port that I got for $50 and configure it completely via the front panel.

As mentioned by others there are tons of options that can be configured via computer and then used without a computer once the channel routing is set.

Michael

OP
R

Roland68

Major Contributor
Some older pro audio interfaces can be completely configured via the front panel. MOTU Traveler Mk1 and 828 Mk2 come to mind in your price range. I have a Traveler Mk1 with a broken firewire port that I got for $50 and configure it completely via the front panel.

As mentioned by others there are tons of options that can be configured via computer and then used without a computer once the channel routing is set.

Michael
Thanks for the tip, I'll see if I can find reviews for the MOTU devices, but in my experience the ADC values in most audio interfaces are not at the level I'm looking for (like the best list of DACs on ASR ).
I have already corrected my text above, it is only about devices that can be used completely without a computer. Like normal HiFi devices.

OP
R

Roland68

Major Contributor
TI PCM4222EVM if all else fails.
Thank you, I didn't have this EVM and this ADC chip on my radar. That would really be a viable option, the values look good and the features are perfect.

Actually, the effort for such a device, without a USB output, is significantly less than for a DAC, but I can hardly find anything, except for example the Lake People ADC RS 04.

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for the tip, I'll see if I can find reviews for the MOTU devices, but in my experience the ADC values in most audio interfaces are not at the level I'm looking for (like the best list of DACs on ASR ).
I have already corrected my text above, it is only about devices that can be used completely without a computer. Like normal HiFi devices.

What is your use case? Measurements? If so you’ll need something more modern, I’d see if there is something that uses an ESS ES9822 ADC with an SPDIF output.

Michael

OP
R

Roland68

Major Contributor
What is your use case? Measurements? If so you’ll need something more modern, I’d see if there is something that uses an ESS ES9822 ADC with an SPDIF output.

Michael
Just like with the DAC, I want the highest quality and lossless conversion possible with the least amount of noise and interference. Since the analog signal has already been converted from digital before, I would like to minimize any further deterioration.
It is possible that I will use the ADC for recordings or measurements later, but that is not certain yet.

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just like with the DAC, I want the highest quality and lossless conversion possible with the least amount of noise and interference. Since the analog signal has already been converted from digital before, I would like to minimize any further deterioration.
It is possible that I will use the ADC for recordings or measurements later, but that is not certain yet.

Gotcha, just trying to get a feel for what level of performance you were looking for. The PCM4222EVM is great if you are looking for good performance but won't match SOTA DAC performance for measurements.

1698957982872.png

I was also unaware of this ADC until @somebodyelse suggested it, might get one to play around with myself.

Michael

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
You may be over-thinking it. I posted a test of 8 generations of ADC-to DAC- loopbacks. The degradation from one or two conversions is not anything to worry about. One of those I did with a Scarlett device.

You might try something like the Focusrite Clarett Octo-pre. 8 mic/line ADCs with analog outputs and ADAT. Better performance than Scarlett. Overkill, but made to work without any computer connection. Might need to confirm ADAT is also switchable to SPDIF. Some gear is and some isn't. An Audient ASP 800 or 880 would work too, but cost more. The ASP800 would be used and cheaper.

Be nice if such a thing were available with only two channels.

jcadduono

I know you said without a computer, but you really could get:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003338401606.html (rasp pi hat for digital coax & spdif output)
a locally sourced rasp pi 3b
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003391728199.html (e1da cosmos adc, the lowest grade is probably best for your purpose)
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000896355526.html (male xlr to rca adapter)

combine them and configure alsa on the pi to route e1da cosmos recording straight to the hifi berry module's digital output
strap it all together and good to go

*should* be fairly low latency if configured right

i assume it would also be better performance than anything else you can buy

OP
R

Roland68

Major Contributor
Try to find a used RME ADI-2 PRO.
If I decided to spend more money than on a Lake People ADC RS 04, I would go straight to an RME ADI-2/4 Pro SE, which would be the final solution for several applications. But I didn't want to spend that much just yet.

Last edited:
OP
R

Roland68

Major Contributor
You may be over-thinking it. I posted a test of 8 generations of ADC-to DAC- loopbacks. The degradation from one or two conversions is not anything to worry about. One of those I did with a Scarlett device.
Do you have a link to your tests for me?

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Do you have a link to your tests for me?

Files are still available for download. Two different tests. Each done with different equipment. You can listen and see if you hear a difference. I do identify which files are which under a spoiler tag. I had a tell-tale mistake on one which is discussed, but it has been corrected in the files you download now. 30 second snippets of music.

Badeff

I had pretty good results using an old field DAT recorder - the venerable Fostex PD-4 - as an external ADC for my Najda DSP. Way better sound than the built-in module.
It can be had for a few hundred Euros. A robust professional piece of kit, 16/48, XLR in and out, the digital output can be configured to either SPDIF or AES.
Might be a possible solution for you.

bbgma1234

I'm looking for a device such as a Lake People ADC RS 04.
So an affordable ADC / analog to digital converter with similarly good values as the DACs tested for ASR, which does not require a computer.
RCA input, optionally also XLR, output SPDIF, AES and i2s optional.
In terms of price it should be closer to 100 than 1000 $/€, but I'm not fixed, it depends on the performance/price ratio.

I'm not looking for an audio interface as long as it can't be set up without a computer. The device can of course have a USB port for output to a computer, but it is not important.
Mytek 96ADC. Excellent Cirrus Logic chips, near-perfect internal clock. Real Mytek prior to their newer lines that have gone down hill.

Top Bottom