• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

mxlv900

Hi,

I'm looking to get a headphone amp to use with my Topping E30. My max budget is around 200 USD. Right now, I have Audio-Technica M40x in my possession as well as the KZ Z10s Pro iems. I'm also looking forward to buying other pairs of headphones in the future like the Sennheiser 6xx and I'd like the amp to be able to drive that kind of stuff as well. I'd also like the amp to have a set of RCA outputs so I can pass the signal to other gear.

I thought of amps like the L30 or the A50s but some people say they are not powerful enough or that the interconnect power doesn't match so I don't really know what to think about that.

I live in Canada and not everything is available here. Consequently, I'd like to get a list of possibilities to choose from so I can find something available in my country.

Thank you, I know you guys will be of great help :)

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I thought of amps like the L30 or the A50s but some people say they are not powerful enough or that the interconnect power doesn't match so I don't really know what to think about that.

All nonsense (there is some truth but is not an issue unless you are driving HE6 or K1000 headphones and are using a lot of EQ.
The E30 and L30, or A50s have no issues driving all the mentioned headphones.

devopsprodude

Sorry, just checked and you get get the Modi 3+, but not the Heresy on Amazon, apparently. Modi 3+ also tested very well here, but not as well as the Heresy.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Thanks for your quick response. What amp would you choose between those two?

Seeing you use IEM's as well I would suggest the L30. It's more flexible.

You can also consider the JDS labs Atom or Schiit Heresy in that price range.

fun

Thanks for your quick response. What amp would you choose between those two?
I have the E30 and L30. Very happy and have no desire to upgrade. E30 and L30 stack nicely together, so I would go that route, unless you care about the balanced headphone out of the A50s.

OP
mxlv900

mxlv900

Sorry, just checked and you get get the Modi 3+, but not the Heresy on Amazon, apparently. Modi 3+ also tested very well here, but not as well as the Heresy.

I mean at this price importing it from the US would definitely be an option. Just curious to know if the performances are as good as the two other amps that were mentioned earlier...

OP
mxlv900

mxlv900

I have the E30 and L30. Very happy and have no desire to upgrade. E30 and L30 stack nicely together, so I would go that route, unless you care about the balanced headphone out of the A50s.

Thanks for sharing your experience! I'll definitely consider this

devopsprodude

Last edited:
OP
mxlv900

mxlv900

Thank you! I also know for a fact that even if they all measure pretty close (especially the 2 Toppings for obvious reasons), they can sound very different. Would you say there's a reviewer out there on Youtube that's more reliable and consistent than others so I can check what they have to say?

OP
mxlv900

mxlv900

Seeing you use IEM's as well I would suggest the L30. It's more flexible.

You can also consider the JDS labs Atom or Schiit Heresy in that price range.

Good point, low gain setting surely is an advantage.

devopsprodude

Thank you! I also know for a fact that even if they all measure pretty close (especially the 2 Toppings for obvious reasons), they can sound very different. Would you say there's a reviewer out there on Youtube that's more reliable and consistent than others so I can check what they have to say?
I would not expect any of these three amps to sound noticeably different unless you got a defective unit. They are all testing as very transparent.

devopsprodude

More power from amps that provide more power to balanced headphone output. A50s is one such amp, yes, or Schiit Magnius. Magnius doesn't measure so great for single ended output, plus it's more than $200 because of shipping.

OP
mxlv900

mxlv900

More power from amps that provide more power to balanced headphone output. A50s is one such amp, yes, or Schiit Magnius. Magnius doesn't measure so great for single ended output, plus it's more than $200 because of shipping.

Thanks for your explanation. I think the A50s will be my final choice.

Top Bottom