• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Looking for a fix for my Topping DX3 pro+ and LG C2

staticV3

Master Contributor
@thiccy_mous3
Just a heads-up: higher DPLL number means higher tolerance for jitter.

So I would set the C200 to the highest value, then decrease it one by one until you get stutter, then go back up once.

OP
T

thiccy_mous3

Finally we have a winner! The smsl c200 is working great with my lg c2 with the dpll adjustment set to 7 (so fairly high). Glad to be able to use my nice headphones with the tv for private listening. Next up is to save for the Hifiman Edition XS. Thanks all for the help!

Snoopy

Major Contributor
I'm using airplay from my apple TV because of this jitter issue. Works just fine and it's good enough for Netflix and appleTV+ .

Perfectly lipsync as well after calibration with a iPhone.

OP
T

thiccy_mous3

I have some air pod pros that work great with the Apple TV 4K. I was mainly looking for something that would work with my blu ray player. So far it works perfectly!

Fluxed

Ok so now I have ordered a smsl c200. I wanted to get the newer dl200 but it looked like it would be at least a month before I could get my hands on one. The c200 should arrive tomorrow I’m hoping it has a better optical input and that with the adjustable dpll I should be able to better deal with the lg’s jitter issue. Will update tomorrow.

Hi I don't have a fix, but wanted to thank you for this post since I almost purchased the topping DX30pro myself and have an LG C2 TV.

There is a bit more info on this mentioned by another redditor here

Basically short answer is the LG OLED TVs optical out is not the best and may struggle with some ESS chipsets and even non AK S/PDIF connections, so perhaps stick with any dac/amps with the AK chipset like Topping mx3s (unsure 100% if it works though)

Edit: just noticed you got the smsl c200 which has a slightly different but ESS chipset (ES9038Q2M), good that it is working but can you confirm no issues or skipping during optical use with LG OLED TV?

Last edited:

MaxwellsEq

Major Contributor
Basically short answer is the ESS chipsets won't do well with the LG OLED TVs optical out so stick with any dac/amps with the AK chipset like Topping mx3s
which uses the AK chipset.
Sorry, but you are describing this back to front. The LG TVs don't generate correct S/PDIF output. The problem is with LG's implementation.

Also, the issue is not the DAC chip but the S/PDIF receiver chip. The AK fire destroyed more than DAC chips, it also destroyed AK's S/PDIF receiver chips. These were extremely tolerant of the nonsense generated by some transmitters , including LG TVs. With the AK S/PDIF receiver chips gone, designers used other vendors. These devices, quite rightly, expect sensible S/PDIF data and don't shrug off nonsense as well as the AK S/PDIF receiver chip when presented with it.

There is a common partial solution - changing the receiver's PLL settings, but quite a lot of DAC devices don't expose that choice to the end user.

Fluxed

Sorry, but you are describing this back to front. The LG TVs don't generate correct S/PDIF output. The problem is with LG's implementation.

Also, the issue is not the DAC chip but the S/PDIF receiver chip. The AK fire destroyed more than DAC chips, it also destroyed AK's S/PDIF receiver chips. These were extremely tolerant of the nonsense generated by some transmitters , including LG TVs. With the AK S/PDIF receiver chips gone, designers used other vendors. These devices, quite rightly, expect sensible S/PDIF data and don't shrug off nonsense as well as the AK S/PDIF receiver chip when presented with it.

There is a common partial solution - changing the receiver's PLL settings, but quite a lot of DAC devices don't expose that choice to the end user.

Nothing to be sorry about and thanks for the correct information, edited my post what a confusing ordeal!

Do you by chance know of any decent desktop headphone dac/amps with the correct chipset's that may work with LG OLEDs? I guess it would be tricky to find the S/PDIF chipset.

Perhaps I can update the other reddit thread with the details and contact LG with this information also.

So far LG OLEDs are not working well with these amps/dacs:
Topping E70
Fiio K5 Pro ESS

And working well with:
Schiit modius (AKM)
smsl c200 (dpll set to 7)

MaxwellsEq

Major Contributor
Nothing to be sorry about and thanks for the correct information, edited my post what a confusing ordeal!

Do you by chance know of any decent desktop headphone dac/amps with the correct chipset's that may work with LG OLEDs? I guess it would be tricky to find the S/PDIF chipset.

Perhaps I can update the other reddit thread with the details and contact LG with this information also.

So far LG OLEDs are not working well with these amps/dacs:
Topping E70
Fiio K5 Pro ESS

And working well with:
Schiit modius (AKM)
smsl c200 (dpll set to 7)
You may find thi thread answers your questions

Talisman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I go slightly OT only to note that this trend of removing the analogue output from TVs (and smartphones) is something stupid and senseless that goes against the end user. From a TV sometimes you just want a decent output to send to an amplifier to hear better, I'm certainly not interested in the absolute audiophile cleanliness of the signal if I'm watching "Bake off Italia", with the added convenience of adjusting the volume from the TV remote control.
In my choice for the living room TV I preferred a TCL to a Samsung with the same characteristics due to the presence of analogue audio output, now I conveniently send the audio to an analogue input of my cxa61 and adjust the volume from the remote control. So simple

staticV3

Master Contributor
I go slightly OT only to note that this trend of removing the analogue output from TVs (and smartphones) is something stupid and senseless that goes against the end user.
Agreed.
Luckily there are products like the SMSL PS100 that add a good quality, 2V analog output and keep the volume control via the TV remote for very little money.

Fluxed

Did Topping support not add the configurable DPLL option to the DX3pro+ then or just ignored any questions on this?

Its a shame since the DX3-Pro+ is a popular product.

Last edited:

yellowroll

Did Topping support not add the configurable DPLL option to the DX3pro+ then or just ignored any questions on this?

Its a shame since the DX3-Pro+ is a popular product.
did you ever find a DAC AMP that works with LG C2 besides the two you listed?

Top Bottom