• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Looking for a 100w mono amplifier

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
I do not have the appropriate measuring equipment. I don't know what is written about D amplifiers, I own them for less than two weeks. Bass, mid-range super, but at highs it is sometimes not possible to know which instrument it is and reverberations are missing. If you are happy with the D class at heights, then you are a happy man and don't solve it.
Until you do some basic controls, what you’re saying is extremely dubious. This is a science forum where evidence is expected to support extraordinary claims like yours.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
I'm from Europe. I haven't heard AHB2 so I don't know. But when I saw a photo of the inside, I would never buy it. Lots of parts in a small space for big money. I listen a lot and I would be afraid that it will break soon after the warranty. A classic transformer is immortal, unlike a switching power supply.

If you connect symmetrically to monoblocks and use very short speaker cables to the speaker, it is technically much better than long speaker speakers and short signal cables. The balanced cable is not prone to interference.
Non sequitur, and not related to any serious reliability analysis. And I’ve replaced a LOT of “classic” transformers over the years.

oupee

@SIY
if I've been listening to it at home for years, I know any change. I'm not chasing Hypex, it works very well for them, but they still have work to do.

Well, you see, I haven't exchanged a single transformer in my entire life, but I change switching power sources constantly and calmly even after a week of operation. Today I changed one at the customer's after 35 months of operation. I can't imagine that after such a relatively short time, such an expensive amplifier as AHB2 would stop working. It's just about personal experience.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
@SIY
if I've been listening to it at home for years, I know any change. I'm not chasing Hypex, it works very well for them, but they still have work to do.

No, unfortunately, you don't. Not just you, ANY human. Sorry, that's reality. That's why we need controls if we don't want to be playing make-believe.

oupee

No, unfortunately, you don't. Not just you, ANY human. Sorry, that's reality. That's why we need controls if we don't want to be playing make-believe.
Today it is modern to be a hifist. The reality is that we all have different ears and abilities to know the difference, just as there are so many sound engineers in the world, but albums released in the last ten years are sound tragic. honor exceptions. Buy what you want, it's your money.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Today it is modern to be a hifist. The reality is that we all have different ears and abilities to know the difference, just as there are so many sound engineers in the world, but albums released in the last ten years are sound tragic. honor exceptions. Buy what you want, it's your money.
Avoiding controls.

Well, some of us trust our ears and don't need to peek; we're interested in what we actually hear, not what we think we hear. You're free to avoid challenging your own beliefs; some folks aren't curious about the truth and are satisfied with whatever story pleases them. It's a pity that you use your unsubstantiated beliefs to trash some excellent products designed by very knowledgeable and perceptive engineers.

jtgofish

Probably almost anything would be better than a Benchmark AHB2.
Read the Hi Fi Critic review.They described it as one of the least musically satisfying amps they have reviewed and gave it a very low score.
Also 50 watts for the ESL63s would probably be enough power.They have limited loudness capability.
One of the best sounding amps with Quads was the old Nakamichi 420.They are stereo but pretty compact.It would be worth getting one of them refurbished.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Read the Hi Fi Critic review.They described it as one of the least musically satisfying amps they have reviewed and gave it a very low score.
Uh huh.:D:D:D:D:D

Last edited:

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Also 50 watts for the ESL63s would probably be enough power.They have limited loudness capability.
One of the best sounding amps with Quads was the old Nakamichi 420.They are stereo but pretty compact.It would be worth getting one of them refurbished.
..." least musically satisfying". Code for clean, undistorted sounds. How awful.

oupee

Avoiding controls.

Well, some of us trust our ears and don't need to peek; we're interested in what we actually hear, not what we think we hear. You're free to avoid challenging your own beliefs; some folks aren't curious about the truth and are satisfied with whatever story pleases them. It's a pity that you use your unsubstantiated beliefs to trash some excellent products designed by very knowledgeable and perceptive engineers.
This is an endless discussion forum. A lot of people refer to local measurements and you write that it is a scientific forum. That is not true. If we talk about amplifiers, then this is a forum where 1kHz Sinad and 5W power are addressed. Nothing else. I don't know how to explain it here to make it understandable. Imagine that the dealer offers you two machines with four wheels and you know about the consumption of gasoline and the ratio of the second gear. You won't know if it's a tractor, truck, pickup, family car or race car. It would be as stupid a decision as choosing an amplifier based on local measurements. I will be silent.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
This is an endless discussion forum. A lot of people refer to local measurements and you write that it is a scientific forum. That is not true. If we talk about amplifiers, then this is a forum where 1kHz Sinad and 5W power are addressed. Nothing else.

Don't make stuff up. Your inability and unwillingness to understand the basics of sensory evaluation and controls is not a good excuse for falsehoods.

cjmustamg69

Realize original thread is a little old, but thought I’d comment on mono amps I’m using with my Quad ESL-63 speakers. The majority of time, I drive them with Pass Labs Aleph 2 amps. I find the combination to be very enjoyable. Based on finding this forum, and reading many informative threads, I have just purchased A DDRC-22 Minidsp unit and mic. Just began playing with taking measurements. Am intrigued with effect I can have on system performance.

DA548DAC-A4C0-4526-AE62-8B1064A4C4F5.jpeg

OP
N
Realize original thread is a little old, but thought I’d comment on mono amps I’m using with my Quad ESL-63 speakers. The majority of time, I drive them with Pass Labs Aleph 2 amps. I find the combination to be very enjoyable. Based on finding this forum, and reading many informative threads, I have just purchased A DDRC-22 Minidsp unit and mic. Just began playing with taking measurements. Am intrigued with effect I can have on system performance.
Nice Quads! I recently acquired a DDRC-88D+BM for mine and Dirac is magic stuff.

On my original topic (Which I should have followed up on), I ended up getting an McIntosh mc2100. Looks cool and seems to work great. I have a theory that the output transformers of the Mc amp do a better job of handling some of the weird characteristics of electrostatics.

cjmustamg69

Nice Quads! I recently acquired a DDRC-88D+BM for mine and Dirac is magic stuff.

On my original topic (Which I should have followed up on), I ended up getting an McIntosh mc2100. Looks cool and seems to work great. I have a theory that the output transformers of the Mc amp do a better job of handling some of the weird characteristics of electrostatics.
I’m sure your McIntosh amp sounds nice with your Quads. For various reasons, I’m a fan of the older McIntosh pieces. Below is my other system, using McIntosh front end with JBL 4430 speakers. One of the reasons I purchased the Minidsp DDRC22d unit is I can move it from one system to the other, by connecting between my streamers and DACs (pretty easy to do). Still learning how to optimize the Minidsp and DIRAC filters, but my initial attempts have been positive.

5D461EA7-56FB-4E92-8BED-2FAF0D743443.jpeg

dlaloum

Major Contributor
Given you are running Quads - why not a Quad current dumping amp?

The Quad 606/707/909 and subsequent generations are fabulous with the ESL63 or the later and current model Quad ESL's!

And you can usually pick up a 606 or 707 (now around 30 years old?) for a much better price than their current performance equivalents - the AHB2 is pretty much a current generation, state of the art, current dumping (feedforward) design.

Although I have not had a chance to listen to an AHB2, I have years of experience of 606's with Quad ESL's - I have heard other amps match them, I have not heard other amps better them.

My 606's did get refurbed about 10 years ago... and I have a pair of them, as after replacing my Quads with Gallo's (a WAF issue... I had a 4.1 surround setup with 2 63's and 2 989's... it sort of overwhelmed the room - in her opinion!) - I experimented with bi-amping.

The Gallo's are a far more difficult speaker to drive than the ESL's ever were... and the Quad 606's did a great job.

You might use it in stereo (single amp for both) or you could use a single channel per amp - at the price they go for used, you would probably save money getting 2 of these... even allowing a budget for refurb.

And unlike many current amp designs, refurb is a relatively simple process, with all components readily available - and in some cases improvements available too.

Top Bottom