• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Looking for a ‘dumb’ DAP

Soria Moria

I recently got rid of my smart phone to disconnect me from time wasting distractions. My only problem is that my new phone does not work as a music player at all so I’m looking for a portable device that isn’t just a phone without call functions. Something that won’t distract me. I need a lot of storage or at least the option to expand on the storage, that’s all.

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
Finding a good no-frills DAP with MicroSD storage is arguably easier said than done these days. What sort of headphone connectivity do you need (3.5 mm / 4.4 mm balanced / Bluetooth), for what kind of cans?

You could try a Surfans F20, one of the few in-production players that you can run Rockbox on (info). MicroSD support seems to be up to 256 GB. Not the last word in hiss (MAX97220).

OP
Soria Moria

Soria Moria

Finding a good no-frills DAP with MicroSD storage is arguably easier said than done these days. What sort of headphone connectivity do you need (3.5 mm / 4.4 mm balanced / Bluetooth), for what kind of cans?

You could try a Surfans F20, one of the few in-production players that you can run Rockbox on (info). MicroSD support seems to be up to 256 GB. Not the last word in hiss (MAX97220).
I use IEMs so power isn’t important. My Moondrops have 3,5mm and 4,4mm both so anything goes. Also have USB-C IEMs.

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
My Moondrops have 3,5mm and 4,4mm both so anything goes.
How sensitive are those (/ what model)? Hiss may become an issue. I don't think the F20 supports USB DACs, it does have BT 4.0 though.

It's unfortunate that the FiiO M3K (using AK4376A, also Rockbox compatible) and the newer M3 Pro (using ES9218P) are discontinued.

Guermantes

I have actually gone from a "dumb" DAP (Fiio X3 II, which has been great) to an old Android smartphone with no simcard and running just Poweramp software. This slightly hybrid approach has these benefits, which are generally about usability rather than sound quality:
  • Far fewer distractions and interruptions compared to a network-connected mobile;
  • Poweramp includes all the AutoEQ headphone profiles and has graphic and parametric EQ functions;
  • I can put a big SD Card in it for a huge mobile music library;
  • Easier to browse and search a large library compared to the Fiio;
  • When I am out and about, I put it into airplane mode;
  • When at home, I turn on Wi-Fi so I can cast to my Chromecast for quick and easy listening (my son likes the album art on the TV).

OP
Soria Moria

Soria Moria

How sensitive are those (/ what model)? Hiss may become an issue. I don't think the F20 supports USB DACs, it does have BT 4.0 though.

It's unfortunate that the FiiO M3K (using AK4376A, also Rockbox compatible) and the newer M3 Pro (using ES9218P) are discontinued.
Moondrop Variations:
Sensitivity: 118dB/Vrms @1kHz

Impedance: 15.2Ω @1kHz ±15%

I’ve been looking at the Hidizs AP80 PRO-X and it seems promising. Heard of it?

JPA

Forum Donor
I've been happy with my Sony Walkman. I've got a 256GB card in it at the moment.

Crow

Whatever you do stay away from the HiBy R2 II I will return mine tomorrow. Bluetooth is really bad and (minor problem) had to put the music in the micro sd directly from the computer. Also, connect it to the NAS is not an easy task.
As @Guermantes says an old phone (with a DAC) is a good option, I have one in the dinning room connected to a stereo, I don't use Poweramp, I prefer USB Audio Player Pro.
I will follow this thread because I still want a little DAP for those times I travel (12 -13 hours in a bus is not a joke) and want to save cellphone battery.
About Hidizs AP80 PRO-X, I read that the difference with the Hidizs AP80 PRO is that it decodes MQA and doesn't have radio, that and the price. BTW I understand that the Hidizs AP80 PRO decodes MQA at software level, anyway, I don't use/understand MQA and probably never will.

roladyzator

I'm happy with a Shanling M0, a smallish DAP with SD card slot and a ESS SoC (2V RMS or 80 mW into lower impedances).
It does have Bluetooth connectivity (LDAC) and also serves as a USB dac, though I did use it "offline" for a couple of years, before I discovered headphone EQ.
Sadly the EQ there is just a ten fixed band one.

I think M0 is deprecated now in favor of Q1 and M0 Pro. The Q1 can actually have Rockbox installed, giving you access to parametric EQ!

Klonatans

Forum Donor
Lotoo PAW 6000. It's pretty expensive as new however I bought it second hand for less than a half of its MSRP. It has plenty of power, PMEQ, touchscreen, very good battery life (15-16 hours), supports up to 2TB of memory (microSD) and fortunately it's not Android.

Pe8er

Forum Donor
+1 for Shanling M0, although you may not like how many features it has. A bit complicated.

How about an iPod Classic? Excellent UI, expandable storage, good sound, reasonable price and there's an abundance of spare parts available.

roladyzator

Man, these are awesome. I had a Rockboxed iPod Video 5.5G and remember playing Doom on the clickweel. Good stuff.

I recall people used to bypass the headphone amp and connect its DAC output straight to an external amp. It was called iMod and I wonder if measurements wise it was even a tangible improvement.

Barrelhouse Solly

I recently, on an impulse I don't fully understand, got a HiBy R2 II. It's under $100, has a USB output as well as an analogue output. The analogue out also functions as a coax in. It supports all the normal lossless file formats. The one disadvantage is that you have to create a playlist for the player to remember where it left off. It also supports 2.4 GHz wifi and acts as a DLNA renderer.

monkeyboy

Why not just keep the phone, pull the SIM card, put it on airplane mode, wifi and bluetooth off....that's what i do....even a refurbished phone on amazon is waaaay better and less expensive than a DAP

OP
Soria Moria

Soria Moria

Why not just keep the phone, pull the SIM card, put it on airplane mode, wifi and bluetooth off....that's what i do....even a refurbished phone on amazon is waaaay better and less expensive than a DAP
It's a Crapple phone. I don't want it near my presence.

OP
Soria Moria

Soria Moria

Please, share your experience. I think I will go for the Hidizs AP80 PRO-X too
I just bought it as well as a leather case for it. I will make a short review of it here when I get it.

monkeyboy

I picked up a renewed LG G8 for $150 a year of so ago...pretty cheap relative to a DAP and I can download podcasts much easier using an app on the phone...I run it w/ no simm card and antennas off (don't get me going about EMFs)...I do miss having function keys on the side, but you can emulate them with long presses on the volume button...DAPs I've seen are ridiculously expensive...

Top Bottom